Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
How was Buck? I saw him when I was down for my interview...he looks like quite the guy!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
gooseman13 wrote:
How was Buck? I saw him when I was down for my interview...he looks like quite the guy!

Buck was great! He asked me questions for which I could never be prepared for :) It seemed like he simply wanted to get to know me as a person. At the end of the interview, he gave me a sheet of paper he created that went over the qualities of a leader. He said that if I ever manage to have all of those qualities, I will be very successful :) I found it to be very cute.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Re: UNC visit [#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
PaulK, that's very impressive that the head of the Real Estate concentration was so flexible!
How did you interview go? Who was your interviewer? I had Buck :)

Yeah, I was very impressed. I essentially emailed him at 2 to ask if he was available at 3-3:30, and set aside some time for me within that hour.

The interview went well, I had Craig. Very conversational, comfortable. At the end, he didn't give me a sheet of what comprises a leader, but spent about 5 minutes talking about the quality of applicant UNC looks for. Priceless stuff...if I hadn't already submitted my application. :cry:
Current Student
Send PM
PaulK wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
PaulK, that's very impressive that the head of the Real Estate concentration was so flexible!

Yeah, I was very impressed. I essentially emailed him at 2 to ask if he was available at 3-3:30, and set aside some time for me within that hour.

The interview went well, I had Craig. Very conversational, comfortable. At the end, he didn't give me a sheet of what comprises a leader, but spent about 5 minutes talking about the quality of applicant UNC looks for. Priceless stuff...if I hadn't already submitted my application. :cry:

I haven't submitted my application yet! :wink: What is it that Craig told you about the quality of applicants that UNC is looking for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
PaulK wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:

Please share!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
What I was told [#permalink]
Sure, what Craig told me was basically how to market myself effectively. He had looked at my resume, talked with me for the half hour, and then sort of broke down how to market my specific background. So, unfortunately, a lot of what he told me was focused on what I've done and what I had told him over the half hour.

But, in general, he gave a pretty effective breakdown of how to market yourself as an individual. Specifically, MARKET YOURSELF AS AN INDIVIDUAL. He really did shout that part...in a nice way.

He told me that he sees these background, he sees the resumes, but emphasized setting yourself apart, as we've all heard. What is in your background that makes you stand out. In my case, being from the Northwest, sure, I work in real estate, but what's unique about the NW view of real estate development.

He told me instead of being "Student A, another applicant..." be "Student A, recently married product of the Northwest mentality working in real estate development."
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, Paul :D That will definitely help. I have a fairly unique background, so I'll be sure to emphasize that.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just scheduled my interview for the 29th! Until today, it was looking like I was going to have to wait until the next round, but that slot opened up today and I jumped on it. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Essays before interview? [#permalink]
Just curious... I'm working really hard to get my essays finished before the interview (11/21) but if it doesn't matter I'd probably be better off focusing on learning the details of the school and preparing for interview questions. My application won't be complete regardless because my recommendations will not be finished. Does anybody have any advice on whether I should stress myself finishing these essays?
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Essays before interview? [#permalink]
wspfaris wrote:
Just curious... I'm working really hard to get my essays finished before the interview (11/21) but if it doesn't matter I'd probably be better off focusing on learning the details of the school and preparing for interview questions. My application won't be complete regardless because my recommendations will not be finished. Does anybody have any advice on whether I should stress myself finishing these essays?

I don't think you need to finish your essays before the interview. I belive it's blind anyways (the interviewer would not look at your essays). Instead, I would recommend learning more about the school and have good reasons as oto why you want to go to UNC.

Good luck with your interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Essays before interview? [#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
wspfaris wrote:

I don't think you need to finish your essays before the interview. I belive it's blind anyways (the interviewer would not look at your essays). Instead, I would recommend learning more about the school and have good reasons as oto why you want to go to UNC.

Good luck with your interview!

Thanks for the advice! I still would like to finish my essays, but from what I've read the interview is considered by some as the most important part of the process. I would like to demostrate that I have everything in order through the completion of my essays, but it won't matter if I stumble through the entire interview. Did you complete your essays prior to the interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I had not completed all the essays before the interview. All you need to complete is part 1, and all the interviewer will have is your resume. For the interview, be able to talk about your career plans and why the MBA, and also know some specifics about UNC and why you want to go there.
The feedback I received during the interview actually helped me to craft one of the essays that I had not already completed.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
gooseman13 wrote:
The feedback I received during the interview actually helped me to craft one of the essays that I had not already completed.

Agreed.

I flew into Chapel Hill Wednesday afternoon and spent the rest of the evening on Franklin Street. On Thursday, I had lunch with current MBA students and then went on the building tour, which was awesome. Lots of construction that should be done by the fall, and the tour guide was very helpful and friendly (also gorgeous! :-D ) At 2:00, I sat in on a finance class. The professor was very good and the students seemed engaged in the topic (valuation). My interview was at 3:30 with Anna Millar, an associate director of the MBA program. Very informal conversation, but I think we had a pretty good connection and she said that Kenan-Flagler is an excellent fit for what I want to accomplish.

The visit as a whole was excellent, and UNC is a wonderful school and environment. If I get accepted, that's probably where I'll go unless Darden blows me away.

On a side note, I was talking with someone who mentioned Accepted.com, so I was wondering if he's also here? Good guy, we spent about 15 minutes talking about the MBA and football. Think his nametag said Jiang, but I'm not sure.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got a spam from UNC today saying the even R3 applicants are considered for scholarships and that some scholarships fund the entire fee + pay you 5000 dollars. Is this true ? If so how easily attainable are these scholarships ?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
It's time to track gmatclubbers' success!

Gang, add your name below with the round, interview and decision info.

nervousgmat: R2, PII submitted 12/04; interviewed first week of October
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006: Applying for Round 2

I need help with why kenan, since i didn't visit the school or any of the admission events

Would be glad if any one can discuss via PM or Chat

please lemme know
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Updated list [#permalink]
Ozmba2006: Applying for Round 2