Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman - as I say, it has been a long week and I am clearly crappy about other things than this. Lets just say I wouldn't believe it was true, but I would ask what industry it is you want to go into. On some Stern definitely has an upper hand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Make sure you mention that in your essay 2... and if you are serious about Stern, do go that extra mile to the graphic shop, laminate, ... You are already pot committed with the $200 application fee. What's another $50 to see the river card, as long as you're confident? And you should be if you're serious about applying..

aceman626 wrote:
i can't visit tho cuz i'm international..although i have visited NYU unofficially in the past.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
aceman - as I say, it has been a long week and I am clearly crappy about other things than this. Lets just say I wouldn't believe it was true, but I would ask what industry it is you want to go into. On some Stern definitely has an upper hand.

not finance......
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
3) I've heard some rumors that stern is regarded as second rate to columbia is there any truth to that??? I wouldn't want to go anywhere that's got a weak reputation...

If it is second rate to Columbia in your mind, or even worse "weak", don't apply. You certainly wouldn't fit in.

I can't answer this question objectively - if you don't want to go to anywhere considered "second rate" why are you applying to more than one school? Or is it a one way street?

I would completely disagree with your questions and could point to several people I know who discarded Columbia to come to Stern. But I am not sure that is what matters to you here. The issue is that if YOU don't want to go to a school, it is really a waste of time, effort and money on everyones part for you to even bother applying.

I mean, your thought process is also a little like saying you would only work for Goldman because the others are inferior through being tarnished by subprime. In one hand, it is a very subjective assessment. In the other hand, it is a good way about going being unemployed.

I'm sorry - I am in a pretty nasty mood right now due to a lack of sleep.

I think 3underscore may write something more like this if he had more sleep:

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to a school that you think is second rate, if you're okay with it.

Also, I truly don't think aceman626 believes NYU to be inferior. I think he's just feeling out the reputation of the school and doesn't want to go if it's a laughing stock compared with CBS--which is understandable.

Here goes:
It's very easy for the uninformed to just assume that NYU, with its strength in finance, location and usual placement below CBS in the rankings, suffers from an inferiority complex.

It's really not fair until you actually visit the school, talk with the students and get a general vibe. The students are quite polished, accomplished and very friendly. Yes my cool-aid is purple.

When I started this hellish bschool process about a year ago, I regarded Stern as my backup school. But having visited the school and having spoken to many of the students, I truly believe Stern is second to NONE. Well, maybe not quite across the board. But if you're doing finance at NYU, you needn't bow your head to anyone.

Finally, let's say for example that you get into CBS and think that you've conquered this "inferiority complex" business. You won't. You will inevitably feel the M7 inferiority complex, the joke of their early decision process (yield management) and many more, well, stereotypes associated with the school.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
3underscore wrote:

not finance......

well not necessarily.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, Kidderek. My words are hugely muddled, but I can still write thank-you emails.

I would also recommend never recruiting during a market dislocation, or thinking that your first semester will not be the hardest you have worked in your life.

I think the judgment of where schools are stronger or not is really tricky, and the word Finance is a very wide term that is open to abuse by anyone who wants to. Finance can stretch from boutique IB to a hedge fund to Walt Disney Treasury depending on who you speak to, so you really need to cut down the words of where a school dominates.

Stern is very strong in Finance in general and NYC Banking inparticular, and has a very strong lead into a lot of firms through its ongoing strength in different levels. The real point of a schools good is who gets the jobs rather than just the summer interns. I don't know the answer to that offhand, and to be honest don't have the stats to compare the schools in a reasoned breakdown.

I think my conclusion is that the schools are a lot closer than you may think. Especially when you research the faculties.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
if its not clear in my last post, i'm saying i'm not going into finance. That is why the rep of the school worries me. If I was going into finance then no problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
gz2nyc wrote:
Really? Is it true you can't upload graphics, even if it's in PDF form?

I'd like to know the deadline also. Is it the midnight of 14-15, or 15-16?

aceman626 wrote:
I don't understand why they don't let us upload stuff for essay 3...I asked adcom and they said if you are doing something that's not an traditional essay, you'd have to send it in via snail mail in a package...so you cannot upload graphics or anythings.....can someone confirm this???

Anyway, what's the final deadline? is it midnight of No 15?

Thanks.

Yeah dude, from what i heard, no PDFs, no pics embedded in Word docs, no nothing unless its straight text. I don't get it either. Can you or someone confirm? Thanks.

Yup that is correct, I had confirmed through e-mail as well, so I dropped my idea of the graphic thing and decided to go with the text... which I think is not too bad, although with the graphic it would have been fantastic but I don't have time to express ship it now....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For the employment history, I just realised that they don't want us to list the roles and responsibilities, which is a bit strange... what are you guys doing about? Though I have put the history in the table section they ask for but I was just a bit surprised that they haven't listed the roles and responsibilities...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Roles and responsibilities is what your resume is for. I think they want the employment history to see what kind of jobs yous you worked in college and how much you're making now :wink:

uvs_mba wrote:
For the employment history, I just realised that they don't want us to list the roles and responsibilities, which is a bit strange... what are you guys doing about? Though I have put the history in the table section they ask for but I was just a bit surprised that they haven't listed the roles and responsibilities...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
uvs_mba wrote:

uvs,

are you aiming for round1? is stern your top choice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am going to press the submit button today....and hope for the best..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey kiddrek,

Well I am from NY and I love the city, so NYU is right on that radar of my schools that I'd be interested in getting into :wink: The people at NYU are quite nice and helpful, I can say that.... I am a female and that school has the highest percentage of women out of all the B Schools... I know I whined earlier and that is because I am a bit impatient at times, trying to work on that.....haha

Why do you ask, what is your first choice? Aren't u applying there?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
uvs_mba wrote:
I am a female and that school has the highest percentage of women out of all the B Schools...

I noticed the high number of females as well.

Yes, Stern is my top choice now. I'll be applying R2 since my essays need a lot of work. I'm just trying to get a feel for who are actually planning on attending, if accepted. A lot of people seem to be using Stern as a backup.

Also, even from last year's group there doesn't seem to be much gmatclub love for Stern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
uvs_mba wrote:
I am a female and that school has the highest percentage of women out of all the B Schools...

I noticed the high number of females as well.

Yes, Stern is my top choice now. I'll be applying R2 since my essays need a lot of work. I'm just trying to get a feel for who are actually planning on attending, if accepted. A lot of people seem to be using Stern as a backup.

Also, even from last year's group there doesn't seem to be much gmatclub love for Stern.

Yes I know what you mean, but Stern is a great school, well you typically see a lot of action at Chicago, Wharton and Harvard threads because they are very popular and everyone wants to get in those schools... and what I feel is that if people haven't really visited and lived in NY, so they might not be that keen on it. Though Stern has a reputation for a Finance school, but it is very good in other areas such as Consulting as well... so it all depends.... and I am sure you have applied to other schools too... good luck. I'll keep you guys posted if I get lucky with Stern.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gz2nyc wrote:
Roles and responsibilities is what your resume is for. I think they want the employment history to see what kind of jobs yous you worked in college and how much you're making now :wink:

uvs_mba wrote:

How long are you guys making the resume? I currently haven't added any roles and responsibilities in it (1 page now). Are we supposed to add them in the additional essay or the Resume?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
roles and responsibilities should only go in the resume now. Yeah my employment history is also one page now with the firms and titles, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  26