Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, holler on, buddy! Fill us in.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
New Haven is great...don't buy the negative hype. SOM is a family and a great place for families. SOM is committed to diversity. SOM is a management school. If you attend, you better have passion for SOM

Questions?

Originally posted by lanter1 on 14 Nov 2007, 19:17.
Last edited by lanter1 on 10 Feb 2008, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
awesome lanter, thanks.

did they talk about how many interviews they have already sent out, and when's the timeframe the invites till go out until? I supposed if i haven't received an invite now i'm dead meat.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
The most impressive was the answer to Yale's ranking...he became passionate. He said that SOM will not sacrifice what it has become to get a higher ranking. He said that they could get a higher ranking, but that they would have to sacrifice what the school IS.

Questions?

Did he say the actual thing Yale would have to sacrifice in order to get a higher ranking?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
The most impressive was the answer to Yale's ranking...he became passionate. He said that SOM will not sacrifice what it has become to get a higher ranking. He said that they could get a higher ranking, but that they would have to sacrifice what the school IS.

Questions?

Did he say the actual thing Yale would have to sacrifice in order to get a higher ranking?

Those were not his exact words but a summary of his point.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
awesome lanter, thanks.

did they talk about how many interviews they have already sent out, and when's the timeframe the invites till go out until? I supposed if i haven't received an invite now i'm dead meat.

No actual number but they invite 40% of applicants to interview and about 40% of those are asked to attend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
anyone who submitted their apps 10/24 gotten an invite yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nope. Looks like I'm going to go 0/3.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just got back from the Duke div weekend, and had an excellent time. They really went all out. I really enjoyed the students, the "team fuqua" spirit, and the even Durham was beautiful. Nonetheless, Yale still seems to hold a special place in my mind (on paper), but I haven't had a chance to tour the b-school yet. Do you mind doing a comparison/pros& cons of Yale vs. Duke after having been to both diversity weekends. Thanks so much!
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
I just got back from the Duke div weekend, and had an excellent time. They really went all out. I really enjoyed the students, the "team fuqua" spirit, and the even Durham was beautiful. Nonetheless, Yale still seems to hold a special place in my mind (on paper), but I haven't had a chance to tour the b-school yet. Do you mind doing a comparison/pros& cons of Yale vs. Duke after having been to both diversity weekends. Thanks so much!

From a building and tech standpoint Duke is superior, but from a community standpoint I felt Yale had a slight edge. However, I did not spend a whole weekend at Duke so my opinion may be a little swayed. they are both great places and personally I have them listed as 1 and 1A...I hope one accepts me and the other denies/waitlists. Duke holds a special place for me because my mom had cancer sugery at the hospital, but Yale is Yale and I loved New Haven and the people I met. Slight edge to Yale but not by much. I hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just realized Yale takes into consideration all GMAT scores, not just the highest. I guess that's a fat DING coming for me...

Damn should've never taken that first time (550), I went in there not fully prepared but I thought I had nothing to lose. I was under the impression that all schools take the highest, or at least say they do. Which other schools officially consider all scores?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
Just realized Yale takes into consideration all GMAT scores, not just the highest. I guess that's a fat DING coming for me...

Damn should've never taken that first time (550), I went in there not fully prepared but I thought I had nothing to lose. I was under the impression that all schools take the highest, or at least say they do. Which other schools officially consider all scores?

Wow? Is that really so? If it's in fact true, this would be the first program in the top 20 that I know of that takes into the consideration all GMAT scores...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Or the only program to be honest and actually say it first.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:

Let me diagree with you on this one. It is actually to the school's advantage to look at, accept and report your highest GMAT score so that the school's reported GMAT mean/median looks better. Moreover, most schools encourage applicants to take the GMAT more than once to improve their scores. It is in the interest of the program to do so.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

Let me diagree with you on this one. It is actually to the school's advantage to look at, accept and report your highest GMAT score so that the school's reported GMAT mean/median looks better. Moreover, most schools encourage applicants to take the GMAT more than once to improve their scores. It is in the interest of the program to do so.

using the gmat to consider an applicant for admission is different than using to boost rankings. im sure when yale reports its average gmat it will use the highest gmat for each student.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

using the gmat to consider an applicant for admission is different than using to boost rankings. im sure when yale reports its average gmat it will use the highest gmat for each student.

True. All I am saying is that I find it odd that Yale looks at all of the GMAT scores. It seems a little unfair for the applicants who didn't do too well the first time they took the test (maybe because I take it personally since I didn't score very well the first time I took mine).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did discuss this with the adcom during my school visit

Here is what they have to say

Yale takes into consideration the TOP Quant/Verbal Scores from multiple attempts

Thats a huge advantage if you did well in Q in one attempt and verbal in the other

Originally posted by Ozmba on 20 Nov 2007, 09:48.
Last edited by Ozmba on 20 Nov 2007, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  20