Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
I need some advice. Yale SOM is now my number 1 choice. I am applying R2 for UCLA, Duke, Yale...and maybe one other. In order to have ample ammo for my essay's, and to show I'm commited, I want to visit Yale and sit in on classes, take the tour, etc. However if I apply then get chosen for an interview (god willing), then I would have to travel back to New Haven, correct? I wish I could just do it all in one shot. Am I at a serious disadvantage if I apply before visiting? In my head, I feel like I would be. Especially after the experience I had at the Duke diversity weekend.

i visited all my r1 schools and am going back on campus for the interviews. sometimes you just have to sacrifice the time/money.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it depends on where you live. If you live cross-country, then I think schools will understand that you didn't visit the schools before you apply. But if you do get invited, then you should go on-campus for the interview.

If I had to pick 1 visit... I would visit when they invite you to interview. Most schools invite ~50% of applicants and if you had to visit the school in order to make that 50%, then you probably wouldn't have had a chance either way.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Who is for R2?

Any one lucky to get an invite for interview?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
Am I at a serious disadvantage if I apply before visiting? In my head, I feel like I would be. Especially after the experience I had at the Duke diversity weekend.

A note related to that. I never had a chance to visit Kellogg but did manage to get in. I did go to the area but classes were just beginning and official visits had not begun yet. I think a visit helps with the essays but is not going to be a requirement to get in.

Though it is another positive data point for them to look at when comparing you to other applicants. If they have you list your visit and events then it will look better than a blank spot but not visiting wont keep you out...a visit also wont get you in. If you can afford it and can manage to spend the time to do it then its worth while...especially for a school in a suburban area, where you may want to get a feel for not just the school but the location.

I am glad I visited Tuck, I thought it would be a great fit for me but in the end I didn't even apply. I love the Hanover area (grew up skiing around there) but was not a big fan of the undergrad feel of the school and the job market for the Mrs. is terrible.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
VictoryMBA wrote:
I need some advice. Yale SOM is now my number 1 choice. I am applying R2 for UCLA, Duke, Yale...and maybe one other. In order to have ample ammo for my essay's, and to show I'm commited, I want to visit Yale and sit in on classes, take the tour, etc. However if I apply then get chosen for an interview (god willing), then I would have to travel back to New Haven, correct? I wish I could just do it all in one shot. Am I at a serious disadvantage if I apply before visiting? In my head, I feel like I would be. Especially after the experience I had at the Duke diversity weekend.

i have been to Duke and Yale...if you want an answer to any specific questions, i would be glad to help.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read on the bw site that they were through with giving out interview invites in R1, but then someone contacted the admissions office and said Adcoms have not reviewed all apps yet. We will hope for the latter for those who have not received invites yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I visited Yale SOM today. While I recommend visiting the school during an official event because you get to interact with a lot of students and learn about a lot of aspects of the school, visiting definitely helps to assess the "fit" with the school.

Pros:
Tour guides were genuine and open
Got to sit in a Competitor class (the professor won "best teacher" award last year)

Cons:
Yale definitely needs to upgrade its facilities. The new building is not going to be finished until 2011??? or so. Classrooms are cramped with students and the building looks old and tiny.
Couldn't shake the feeling of Yale seeking out students with non-profit background. I believe all of the tour giudes were in non-profit at some point of their careers before joining Yale
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I visited Yale SOM today. While I recommend visiting the school during an official event because you get to interact with a lot of students and learn about a lot of aspects of the school, visiting definitely helps to assess the "fit" with the school.

I agree!

The regular school tour doesn't give much chance to interact with current students or adcom...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
at this point for R1, no interview = toast eh?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some people interviewed when I visited last week.

Yale is a great school, it will get you into any field you want. Definitely. I have a feeling they will be going up in ranks a lot very soon, and the admissions people are already getting more selective.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
I read on the bw site that they were through with giving out interview invites in R1, but then someone contacted the admissions office and said Adcoms have not reviewed all apps yet. We will hope for the latter for those who have not received invites yet.

What the adcom said is true. I received an invite today.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

Congrats. When is the latest date offered? To schedule your interview?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jsnooky33 wrote:
lanter1 wrote:

Congrats, jsnooky! Good luck with your interview and please post your debrief when you are done!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
Congrats. When is the latest date offered? To schedule your interview?

Sorry gmatclb, but I can't go back and see that without unregistering the time :( I should have paid more attention earlier!

I definitely saw early January dates in there though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i suppose if we don't receive an invite within the next couple of days, then its a ding right? seems like a lot of ppl got invites already. and from BW ppl say last year they start giving out decisions before christmas.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
aceman626 wrote:
i suppose if we don't receive an invite within the next couple of days, then its a ding right? seems like a lot of ppl got invites already. and from BW ppl say last year they start giving out decisions before christmas.

The adcom said they would give out some decisions before christmas but that interivews take place until the end of the round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

The adcom said they would give out some decisions before christmas but that interivews take place until the end of the round.

When is the end of Round 1 exactly? Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  20