Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Honestly I never prepped really for interviews. I reread essays and thought about answers but I never sat down to do mock interviews with anyone. Probably not the best approach for most people but I was confident in my why an mba and why each school responses. Dont come across as a robot and dont give generic answers and you will be fine with the canned answer part. Chicago knows they have a reputation as being a tough quant school, have a flexible curriculum, and are considered a financial power house. Don't spot off about these and the fact that they have all these nobel prize winning professors. You want to dig deeper than that, talk about your personal interactions with the school. If you visited talk about your thoughts on the building, the students, class you sat in on...basically PERSONALIZE it.

As for them not being convinced why you want an MBA...thats bad since that is going to be one of the few things they care about. You can mess up a lot of things during your interview and be ok. However, they need to actually buy your reasoning for an MBA, remember you wrote whole essays on that for pretty much every school so you should really have a convincing tale.

If ADCOM buys your "Why MBA" story and invites you for the interview but the alumni in the interview doesn't?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: What to answer to "Don't give me Canned answers&quo [#permalink]
abhishek.sardana wrote:
If your interviewer says " Don't give me canned answers", how should we proceed?

Also, if your interviewer says, " I am not convinced with Why you want an MBA", what to say?

I am just confused on these situations.

Did this happen to you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: What to answer to "Don't give me Canned answers& [#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:
If your interviewer says " Don't give me canned answers", how should we proceed?

Also, if your interviewer says, " I am not convinced with Why you want an MBA", what to say?

I am just confused on these situations.

Did this happen to you?

Yes it did and I pretty much tried to give the same reasons as I quoted in the application.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
abhishek.sardana wrote:

Yes it did and I pretty much tried to give the same reasons as I quoted in the application.

The interviewer's comment was really bad. Even if you didn't think up answers before the interview, this could've been the 5th b school interview you've been to and through experience, you might sound canned because this would be the 5th time you're answering "canned" questions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
abhishek,
did you post the same thing on BW forum. If so I guess you had an interview with Cornell...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
great, now i need to prepare a canned response to this question
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL dabots..

dabots wrote:
great, now i need to prepare a canned response to this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

The interviewer's comment was really bad. Even if you didn't think up answers before the interview, this could've been the 5th b school interview you've been to and through experience, you might sound canned because this would be the 5th time you're answering "canned" questions.

Correct, and sometimes the alum. interviewers are almost ashamed of asking such "canned" questions...my interviewer explicitly said that the school wants me to ask this question ....
GMAT Club Bot