Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
entranced wrote:
It's interesting, I wasn't told that I wasn't allowed to erase anything. I smudged only a couple of times when I miswrote a number or something. The marker is similar to a vis-a-vis or any other overhead marker. It rubs off a little on your hand, but comes off easily with liquid .. well, given the circumstances, saliva. The sheets themselves surprised me a little bit because they're I think, pretty close to legal size (longer) pages. I ended up using the booklet horizontally. When I practiced, I always put the keyboard out of the way after the AWA and put my scratch paper in its place. I made sure to ask first, but they had no problem with me putting the keyboard up on the PC when I did my quant. section.

I sure hope no one is using a board you used !! haha...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
The board is enough, I usually write in BIG letters so I used all the 10 pages for the Q section.

My hands were blue after the test as the ink does not dry...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I never practiced with anything other than pencil and paper, and I had no problems on test day. I think I had 5 pages left over, and that was after using it for the AWA notes and for quant. They also changed out my notepad when I entered for the Verbal. Therefore, if you use it on both the quant and verbal, it shouldn't be an issue because you can get a new pad at your break. The only thing I had to be more wary of was making sure I wrote legibly, as the marker is not as fine as a pencil, but its close enough. If you know you're ready for the test, and confident about how you've studied, the marker and pad will not throw you off on test day.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
A little bit off topic. I heard someone started writing an answer grid nefore he started he verbal part of his exam. Can we do this? Write stuff in our sheets before we start the exam? If so, how much or what?

Second, can I write something in my hand during the test? Namely a, b, c, d, e on each of my fingers?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
asdert wrote:
A little bit off topic. I heard someone started writing an answer grid nefore he started he verbal part of his exam. Can we do this? Write stuff in our sheets before we start the exam? If so, how much or what?

Second, can I write something in my hand during the test? Namely a, b, c, d, e on each of my fingers?

yea we can mark up the pad before we start a section. thats why everyone was talking about "the grid" to eliminate answers. too cumbersome for my tastes.

can anyone verify that the mgmat scratch pad link is close enuogh to the real thing? i havent taken the GMAt yet so i dont know for sure...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmwhype2, but how much can we write? Can I sit there and write a few formulas before I click start?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you get extra time left after your awa, u can write what u want on the scratch pad. Just don't submit the AWA, if u have extra time. Prepare ur scratch pad for the next section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I too had fear for writing pad and pen, how it looks like and how it works. But I enjoyed working on it. Its exactly like how we write on long note book with pen. The pen is as usual sketch-pen. Its not very thick or thin. Its bit bold. The pads have around 10 pages which is group together usin spiral binding. U can hold it vertacally. Two pads are sufficient for quant section. In verbal and AWA section, I don't think, anybody needs any pad to write down.

Don't worry guys for pads and pen. Its of good qualities. Before starting exam u can double check whether its working fine or not. Don't take any tension of it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
[#permalink]
I found that the marker was very permanent, its not something you can easily erase.
I used up all 9 sides. Towards the end I was just using it to map out some verbal logic, though.

Rather than worry about whether you can erase it, wasting time spitting on your sweatshirt sleeve, I would simply raise my hand when I am on my 2nd to last page, they can give you another 10 page book quite easily.

The marker is not the greatest though, I left it uncapped for a few minutes during the essay section, it dries out quickly.

There HAS to be a better way to do this. But its slightly annoying more than anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Send PM
Re: Wipe off board [#permalink]
Could someone please provide a link for where to buy a similar fine-tip dry-erase pen?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
I was also wondering about extra markers. You can order them on the manhattangmat website, but do any brick & mortar stores sell them? Also, the actual marker says REFILLABLE, but I have no idea how to refill this thing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Just a plastic sheet with a marker...
no need to purchase from them...
you can get it from staples if you want
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
@I3igDmsu

You can buy the dry erase pens at https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitemshow.cfm?ItemID=178&catid=8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Send PM
I'm looking to buy the marker from a local store. Please provide details on the marker, size of the tip (in mm), etc. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
I've also been looking at local stores but no place I've gone to has them. I've been to 2 Staples, Office Depot, & an art supply store. Your best bet might be to just buy them from mgmat. The closest thing I found were these dry-erase Expo markers that are Fine tip.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I finally received the markers from Manhattan GMAT. Not sure why no one has posted the pen information previously, but here is the description to save others a little bit of money possibly.

https://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_non_ ... .Staedtler
The pen is a Staedtler non-permanent Lumocolor - S
Art No. 311-9

That should be all the info you need to purchase them from an online vendor.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3