Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.

I agree. Stellar essays mean nothing without stellar stories or background.

I disagree mNeo. No one verifies stories from your background.

Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?

Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:
Well I personally think that the whole 'stellar' essays thing is a little misleading.

Well, even a made up story can make an essay stellar. But it is still the story making the essay stellar, not just the way of delivery. I am not trying to weigh how many people completely make up stories for essays. Hopefully not a lot of them. But, what I am saying is that without content, your "way of delivery" is not as valuable. We end up focusing too heavily on where each sentence should go, how many words our essay should have etc instead of focusing on the content of the essay.

Think about it .. if you are an amazing essay writer, but you have absolutely no stories to tell, then will you be able to convince MIT adcom? Check MIT's essays .. and tell me how can anybody write admit-worthy essays without strong stories (Made up or not). What kind of amazing essays can you write without content anyway?

Remember MIT also does not have blind interviews. They are performed by adcoms who know your application very well. Also they use behavioral interviews, so its pretty much a sure bet that they are going to dig into your essays. During my visit they talked about a girl whose essays they loved and were going to admit until they interviewed her and it was obvious that she had written what she felt they wanted to hear even though she had no clue beyond what she wrote.

did this girl want to go into the automotive industry?
if so, i heard the same story
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Absolutely. We all polish our candidacy a bit in applications and in resumes in general. We all try to take too much credit for successes that we may not be solely responsible for. I will always try to highlight how innovative I am even if "naming my future kid mNeo Jr." is the most innovative thing that I ever did.

But there has to be a limit. If you are starting the next stage of your life with a (set of) big lie, then you are not having a very strong foundation. Meh, I guess I went overboard with idealism there. But I think you know what I mean.

Originally posted by mNeo on 05 Dec 2007, 15:28.
Last edited by mNeo on 05 Dec 2007, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:

I am pretty sure thats what it was. I recall the guy saying he asked her something about Toyota and she just stared blankly at him.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
zakk wrote:
pfffft. I can't wait for your "I got accepted to every school, how do I make a choice" thread.

:-D

pppshaw... :wink:

I wish... I only wish. :?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:
riverripper wrote:
mNeo wrote:
anadimisra wrote:
mNeo wrote:
dosa_don wrote:

I am pretty sure thats what it was. I recall the guy saying he asked her something about Toyota and she just stared blankly at him.

Yep, I was told the same when I visited MIT. Story of a girl who blew it during interview...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nsentra wrote:
rhyme wrote:
heck I know one guy who just called up his Fraternity president and got him to say he'd been actively involved for years in their community service activities, even gave him a "title"-

that's pretty disturbing actually (and I come from Eastern bloc). i would hope that when I work on a team with MBA students in one of the top institutions there is some threshold of integrity.

Sorry, but this sort of corruption is found all over the place. I believe the eastern bloc has plenty of it no? Well, my bet is that MOST of the people you meet will have integrity, and this is just one example.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
defenestrate wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
rhyme wrote:
heck I know one guy who just called up his Fraternity president and got him to say he'd been actively involved for years in their community service activities, even gave him a "title"-

that's pretty disturbing actually (and I come from Eastern bloc). i would hope that when I work on a team with MBA students in one of the top institutions there is some threshold of integrity.

Sorry, but this sort of corruption is found all over the place. I believe the eastern bloc has plenty of it no? Well, my bet is that MOST of the people you meet will have integrity, and this is just one example.

What do you mean by eastern bloc?

It doesn't have to be blatant corruption. How many b school applicants really like volunteering or waking up early every saturday to tutor kids?

Not many I assume.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
Eastern Bloc refers to the former Soviet Union and its former Eastern and Central European allies (e.g. Poland, Romania, East Germany, Hungary, former Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
It's one thing to have ulterior motives when doing an activity be it volunteering etc. but it's entirely different to exaggerate or falsify activities. I don't think an applicant's geographic origin matters, there is corruption everywhere. Personally, I think it's fine to finesse accomplishments a little (paint them in the best light) but if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.

Not to mention the fact that it makes the people who actually did something look like they did nothing extraordinary.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: Bad Attitude [#permalink]
hope some of you can carry johnnyx9's fine legacy on gmatclub forward.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
wow... forgot how great this thread was. Keep it up, GMATClub class of 2010!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Wow. Another reason why I was so addicted to this club then.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Man, this thread rocks! I was in the middle of reading this on my iPhone, and it was low on batteries, so I had to turn my computer back on to keep reading this. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only poor schmuck going through this crap.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
The Adcom Equations:

1)
We're looking for a diverse group of students

+

It's really important that you "fit" our culture

=

We want applicants from all over the world, from every industry, department, ethnic background, sex, etc...in order to compare more applicants, lower our acceptance rate, and move up in the rankings

2)
We are looking for individuals with sufficient professional experience and a clear track record of promotions

+

Did you know you don't need any work experience to apply!

=

We want applicants from all over the world, from every industry, department, ethnic background, sex, AGE, etc...in order to compare more applicants, lower our acceptance rate, and move up in the rankings

3)
At our school, our dedicated staff and faculty promote forward thinking and participation in our close-knit community that prepares individuals to be action-oriented leaders.

+

Please tell us why you applied to our school (remember you can't use the word "ranking")

=

HAHAHAHAHAHA, try to answer that one you suckers!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
It's one thing to have ulterior motives when doing an activity be it volunteering etc. but it's entirely different to exaggerate or falsify activities. I don't think an applicant's geographic origin matters, there is corruption everywhere. Personally, I think it's fine to finesse accomplishments a little (paint them in the best light) but if an applicant falsifies accomplishments to get into bschool it reflects poorly on his/her ethics.

I had to register to ask if you seen the "Impossible Is Nothing" (2006) Aleksey Vayner meme? If not I highly recommend you google it and get a good laugh. It's a video resume that is larger-than-life.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7