Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Yash,

So your breakout is q42, v14? That's good because it's a clear indication what your weakness is: verbal.

You can raise your score significantly if you just focus on verbal and i bet you can get into the high 30s / low 40s if you focus.

For SC:
1) Read MGMAT SC book and do all the examples
2) Do the last 1/3 of OG11 SC
3) Use the POE (process of elimination) approach: write out A, B, C, D, E and cross out each one when you run into a mistake
4) Use the PR (princeton review) 3/2 approach too: identify the 3/2 split between your choices. find one with an error and elminate those choices (3 of them or 2 of them)

For CR:
1) Get Powerscore's Critical Reasoning Bible
2) practice by identifying the premises of the argument and find out what the question is attacking (weaken, strengthen, contradiction, etc.)
3) same approach with OG11 and OG Verbal guide

For RC:
1) Read Rhyme's approach to RC; i tried it and it didn't work at first; gave it another shot and after a few examples, it clicked; i credit my verbal increase to this

Once you have the basics down, start testing yourself with new material. I used the zip files with the Chinese characters.

Curious, how was your timing? Do you have an error log?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi MisterJJU2 - ur tips are very good. Thanks for your post.

What is Rhyme's approach means?

About my speed - it was not so good. I have to run last 5 to 7 questions in both verbal and quant. Now I think, if I try honestly first 30 questions and guessing remaining questions because of no time, then I can do better. But at that time, I never wanted to skip any question. Even at the last minute I always try to solve the question. In quant, I felt my last questions were answered correct. But yes, speed was the problem for me. Especially, in verbal section.

POE - I reached to this phase. But could not cross after it. It means, I knew, among A or C, either one is correct but which is exactly correct is always the problem and most of the time I marked wrong one.

In real GMAT, in SC there were many examples where "which" is tested. I found it so difficult because all choices had "which".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Although my RC is quite good, I'm going to give it a shot myself. I found it takes me a lot of time to answer RCs, so maybe it will help me speed it up a little bit...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks buddy.. its great information, will read, in leisure.

MisterJJ2U - I had not kept error log.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, Yash, check Rhyme's strategy. Thing works. :shock:

Have tried 2 passages so far, got just one wrong and just because i didn't read a 'LEAST' in all caps, duh!

Need to work on timing, though. It took me 26 mins to solve the first one with only 6 questions, but only took me 20 mins to solve the second one with 9 questions. Not bad. Awesome, specially if you consider the hit rate. So far it's +93%. Would had been 100% if it wasn't for that silly mistake.

Will try again tomorrow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yash,

Keeping an error log is key.

Create a simple excel spreadsheet to keep track of question types that you got wrong (SC, CR, RC) and keep notes on what was tested and why you got it wrong.

When I say take notes I mean: what was tested (i.e. idiom, verb tense, etc.); did you get down to two choices but picked the wrong one? make note; at least you're identifying wrong answers (right track);

Also, log questions you got right but had to guess on; If i had to guess on a question or wasn't 100% sure what the answer was, I mark the question with a star to review the answer later on.

With the error log you'll start to see a pattern. When you do, search out these type of questions and get comfortable attacking them.

As for RC:
Rhyme's approach works but it takes a decent amount of practice.
Reading the first and last sentence of the intro paragraph tells you what the author is trying to discuss.

The first sentence of the following paragraphs should provide evidence to strengthen his argument or it might present a counterargument to show both sides of the discussion.

Last paragraph (read first and last sentence) usually wraps up the idea.

Key is to know the basic outline of the argument. WHen a question asks for specifics, find out where in the passage it refers to; based on where it is in the passage, it should match what you already know;

For example: if a question stems from a body paragraph and you already know (from the 1st sentence) that the purpose of that paragraph is to support the author's argument about X, look for the answer that matches.

Hard to explain, but when you are able to see it work in practice passages, it becomes clear.

-JJ
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to both of u - Asdert & JJ!!!!!

While taking GMAT exam, I had 4 RCes and while solving it, at the first attempt it looked so easy to me. But when it comes to selecting best one out of two, it was so difficult. As I said, I might have chosen the wrong one. Out of 5 answer choices, 3 are sure shot wrong, but out of remaining 2 choices, its a difficult game to chose right one and it takes plenty of ur time in selecting it. Thats where I found GMAT tough. But I understood, after all practice makes man perfect. I am sure, after taking numerous examples for practice I will be able to do well. There is one more thing, only GMAT provide class examples.

Thanks for ur tips.

Yash
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 470 very bad score. [#permalink]
I know this is an old post but the link above for rhyme approach doesn't exist anymore. Does anyone know if it can be found somewhere else? Thanks a lot and sorry if this question was asked in another post already. d.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi amik,
Perhaps this is what you are looking for:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/1-t30247
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thank you very much greenoak!! : )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3904 [0]
Send PM
have you tried the SETS. My verbal improved by 8 points just by going through all tests from sets.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Yash,

Look on the bright side man-- you got a 42Q, which most people don't get. You can easily bump that up.

As for your Verbal, you just have to work on that. I would recommend getting a tutor and really working hard on SC, and doing OG 10 & 11 SC along with SC 1000. That's about 1,400 SC questions. If you can master those you can master any SC questions that the GMAT throws at you.

You just have to put in the time man, and you'll do great. I've seen plenty of people go from 450, 460, etc to 650+. You just have to put in the time.

Best of luck.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts