Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Emory, my only concern if I were you would be if they would ding me because they thought I was over qualified and wouldnt show up. Your stats point more towards a top 10 or 15 school, I dont know how much they worry about yield.

Its where you really want to go so dont stress it. You definitely have the profile to easily get in. If you were only applying to a single M7 it would be another story.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: Anybody else in this situation? [#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
All, I know that last year GMATT73 only applied to one school, and got in. I also, have only applied to one school, and I'm hoping that I get in without needing to do any other app's. Did anyone else make the decision to apply to only one school? Or do I stand alone in this year's class?

So far its been pretty difficult. I've gone back and forth on whether I should apply elsewhere without knowing my results from Emory. But, I know that's where I want to be, period. So, I've stuck to my guns. But damn, seeing other results for Emory, and others, has definitely made me anxious.

Emory,

you and i are in the same boat, kinda. i intended on applying to a few schools and finally decided to apply to two, but i was only intent on 1 school (stern). with my recent cornell ding, i'm banking on stern.

This is probably the worst year to apply to as few schools as we are, but if you know where you want to go, why bother applying to other schools? If I'm dinged again, I may try again next year (i'm no spring chicken, so who knows?). But I'm okay with not going to bschool. if it was meant to be, it will happen; and bschool is not entirely the be all end all. (<-- haha that's like my rejection swan song)
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Emory, my only concern if I were you would be if they would ding me because they thought I was over qualified and wouldnt show up. Your stats point more towards a top 10 or 15 school, I dont know how much they worry about yield.

Its where you really want to go so dont stress it. You definitely have the profile to easily get in. If you were only applying to a single M7 it would be another story.

I'm not really concerned with being overqualified, or giving them the impression that I wouldn't go to school there. For one, my undergrad is so poor that I don't stand out there. Also, I have visited twice and been in communication with adcom quite a bit prior to applying. I also have a current student who wrote a letter of support letting them know how well I would possibly fit into their community and how Emory is definitely my top choice. So, I'm pretty confident there, but the waiting, and waiting can shake anyone's confidence.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
I'm not really concerned with being overqualified, or giving them the impression that I wouldn't go to school there. For one, my undergrad is so poor that I don't stand out there. Also, I have visited twice and been in communication with adcom quite a bit prior to applying. I also have a current student who wrote a letter of support letting them know how well I would possibly fit into their community and how Emory is definitely my top choice. So, I'm pretty confident there, but the waiting, and waiting can shake anyone's confidence.

Why don't you let them know that they are the only school you are applying to?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I possibly want to keep a bargaining chip open for scholarship negotiations if I get the admit. If they think I'm going there no matter what, maybe they won't offer me any scholarship, but if they think they are competing for my commitment, maybe the numbers go up? What do you think.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
I guess I possibly want to keep a bargaining chip open for scholarship negotiations if I get the admit. If they think I'm going there no matter what, maybe they won't offer me any scholarship, but if they think they are competing for my commitment, maybe the numbers go up? What do you think.

You're probably right. I just hope for you that that's not the difference between an acceptance and a ding (for yield, of course).
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I hope that they see I currently live in Atlanta, and that's a huge advantage for them. Hell, if they waitlist me, I'm going to point them to this forum so they can see how much I've talked about Emory from the start. That should convince them.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
I hope that they see I currently live in Atlanta, and that's a huge advantage for them. Hell, if they waitlist me, I'm going to point them to this forum so they can see how much I've talked about Emory from the start. That should convince them.

and your screen name, doesn't hurt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
:D [#permalink]
I will second that for you :-D !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I only applied to one school (University of Florida), and got in. I was pretty sure I would get in though...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am only applying to 2 schools: Tuck and Ross. Both of them are kind of out of reach for me but I want to try to see if I can get in a 'dream school' this year, if it doesn't work out I will apply to 15-something schools next year. I am not in a rush, I just turned 24 :)).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats exactly what I thought upon looking at your screen name.

Darden2010 wrote:
I am only applying to 2 schools: Tuck and Ross.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also only applied to one school and thankfully I got in. I'm sure that you'll get in to Emory as your enthusiasm for the school probably came through loud and clear in your essays and interactions with the adcom and current students. :-D
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your support Ishcabibble, I hope the adcoms feel the same way!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I only applied to two schools and got dinged by both. That was kind of a surprise. But I think I've decided to work another year and reapply to schools next year, possibly the same two. I could apply to other schools this year, but I don't think they would be where I really want to go and the only thing hurting me is my work experience I think.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:

No need to worry about this anymore now huh
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
emoryhopeful wrote:

No need to worry about this anymore now huh

Hah! Nope. What a great day. Its amazing. A year ago today I proposed to my fiance. What a great "anniversary" gift!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]