Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat, PM'd you... sorry for the late reply been a little nuts!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Books? [#permalink]
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
Case in Point

Any others worth reading?

This is the only one that's worthwhile. It's not perfect though (there are a couple of math errors in the solutions etc.)

Be aware that unlike the GMAT, a consulting interview can not be mastered by simply solving book exercises until you can do them in your sleep. In my experience, each interviewer will ask you some questions which you simply couldn't have been prepared for. Questions that require a display of your creativity and business judgement.

The best advice I can give you is to get a friend of yours - who preferably knows about consulting - to play the interviewer. If you manage to structure and solve a majority of the cases without your friend having to "pull" you towards the solution you'll be fairly well prepared for the actual interview situation.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I've read most of Case in Point from cover to cover. My assessment is that it has cooties. I find it a fairly wretched learning tool, and someone needs to help that guy with information architecture...which is something consultants are supposed to be good at.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
I've read most of Case in Point from cover to cover. My assessment is that it has cooties. I find it a fairly wretched learning tool, and someone needs to help that guy with information architecture...which is something consultants are supposed to be good at.

I agree with the points you raised. After all, it's a book written by an amateur. Nonetheless, it's still the best one I've used. I couldn't stand those Wetfeet and Vault guides.

Also, I believe that case interview books shouldn't be read from cover to cover. IMHO this won't prepare you very well for the interview. Limit your reading to the general explanations of the case interview format. After that it's all about simulating those interview examples with a friend.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Diplo wrote:
aaudetat wrote:

I agree with the points you raised. After all, it's a book written by an amateur. Nonetheless, it's still the best one I've used. I couldn't stand those Wetfeet and Vault guides.

Also, I believe that case interview books shouldn't be read from cover to cover. IMHO this won't prepare you very well for the interview. Limit your reading to the general explanations of the case interview format. After that it's all about simulating those interview examples with a friend.

Sorry, I guess I should have said "used it" from cover to cover. I read the reading parts and then prepped the prepping parts.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
One consultant at my school said that Pyramid Principle is a good read to help with structured thinking
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
yeah that is Barbara Minto's methodology ... too many people get stuck up with frameworks et al. In my experience not too many interviewees care two hoots abt what framework you use. As long as you can solicit the right info and present it back to them in a meaningful way you will be fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Kudos
Is there a difference in the number/type of cases that one can expect to solve during internship interviews vs full-time interviews?

What's the general structure of an internship interview?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Any ANswers to why be a management consultant after spending 6 years in IT services (2 years in project management)
I am sure many must be in the same boat for answering this. Please do share your thoughts.

Also I want to know if some body can give feedback of vault on practice interviews that they hold?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This is a pretty good book as well, written by a recent Carnegie Mellon MBA grad who is now an associate at McKinsey.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061518 ... 061518393X

I'm attempting to land an entry-level (pre-MBA level) job with one of the big 4 towards the end of summer. Number one piece of advice? Practice cases one on one with a competent friend or via Skype with someone from GMATclub.

I would be more than willing to practice a few cases if anyone is up for it.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Case in Point

Any others worth reading?

Hello

Are the books "case in point" and "crack the case" available in e-book format?
These 2 are not available in India and getting the 2 imported from amazon will be prohibitively expensive for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Is old books are good source of education of new technology??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi all, Book is the best friend of students in your life. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Interesting revival of an old topic ^^

I have quite a collection of case interview/consulting related books and recently bought cracking the case. Must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of information you get and even though I knew how to structure my CV and cover letter, the cases are very detailed.

I'm considering some kind of big book review topic, but too busy for that atm...
GMAT Club Bot