Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink]
Anybody else send a RD2 application off?
I officially submitted mine yesterday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Submitted for Tepper R2.

I realized at the very last minute from gmatclub postings that my essays needed to be double-spaced. Phew.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
thunderdogg, wisepig, and vij - Good Luck with R2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I took the liberty of creating the list for R2, please feel free to make any updates and\or add the dates that you submitted the application.
R2
vij101 - Submitted
wisepig - Submitted
thunderdogg - Submitted
redhead - Submitted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Just finished up all my apps so I have some time to spend on this board :) I am a CMU alum (BS Engineering) and lived in Pittsburgh for a while. I might not be able to answer some specific questions about the MBA program but if you would like to know about Pittsburgh, weather, restaurants, and what to do there etc. then I will try to answer your questions. Just a way for me to give back to the forum and the people here.

Best of luck to those applying!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks BCC! I'll be sure to ask if I end up at Tepper. For starters, what area would be best for a single guy to live in? 8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Is it possible to live far enouogh away from school to walk?

And how much rent would that be for a studio apartment? 2 bed 1 bath apart?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Now that I am almost done with my R2 apps, I have started thinking about what I should do to get off the CMU WL.

I tried to get some talk time with Gwen to get some idea of what material they might be looking for, but she sent an auto-response saying "no time to talk....just send additional stuff to the waitlist e-mail ID."

So I started looking around to see where I could have messed up. I am pretty sure it is my essays...since my GMAT is 710+, decent work experience and leadership opportunities, good interview...although I think I rambled a bit.

The question is, Do I just send a refined goals essay (short-term/long-term goals, why CMU)
alone or send updated essays for all the questions.

Sometime later, I am planning to send my TOEFL score (which I had not reported earlier) in which I scored a 30/30 in the writing section to, perhaps, offset my 4.5AWA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
I wouldn't send in updated essays. That would be too much and look so fake.

I also wouldn't change any goals. But I would send in another essay to reiterate your interest and say maybe that you found out some more stuff that is a great fit for your goals.

BTW, I was waitlisted at another school last year and ultimately didn't get in, so take my advice for what it's worth.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sperinko, I would only send the information that adds to the strength of your application. If you feel that it is only the goals essay that requires a little refinement then I would only send the goals essay. If all of them could be made better then I would send all in. Sending your TOEFL in will definitely help. Also, if you have any pertinent information that was not addressed in the essays, I would send that in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
clobo wrote:
Thanks BCC! I'll be sure to ask if I end up at Tepper. For starters, what area would be best for a single guy to live in? 8-)

np :-D For single guys/gals, I would say South Side and Shadyside are good locations. There are a lot of bars and restaurants in both areas and so there will be plenty of chances to meet new people.

The drawback about South Side though is it is not within walking distance to school. So you probably have to own a car. Shadyside (unlike the name, the place is really not shady at all!) is a more upscale area than South Side so in general the rent will be higher than that of South Side even though there are a lot of developments currently going on in South Side. You can walk to school from Shadyside.

Squirrel Hill (squirrel? :) ) is also a good area but maybe not as much action as South Side or Shadyside.

gmatclb wrote:
Is it possible to live far enouogh away from school to walk?

And how much rent would that be for a studio apartment? 2 bed 1 bath apart?

Yes. There are tons of apartments 10-20 mins by walking to the school. You probably don't want to live too far away for your commute if you don't own a car. You can take public transportation but I never did - not that it is bad but I rather walk / catch a ride / drive. Of course your rent will depend on how nice of a place you want. I would say you can get a decent studio for $600/month. For a decent 2 bed and 1 bath I would say about $1000/month. The rent there is not expensive.

For more economical places try Amberson Apartments (walking), Fifth Neville (walking), Shadyside Commons (walking)
For very nice places try South Side Lofts (not walking), The Lofts on Centre (semi walking), The Flats @ South Side Works (not walking) https://www.southsidepgh.com/live_and_work/rent.php

Hope this helps. Let me know if you guys have more questions. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I got my Tepper package today. Neat!! They sent me a pen with my name and Tepper Business School engraved on it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
So, whats it going to be? Ross or Tepper? I hope you come to Ross.

clobo wrote:
I got my Tepper package today. Neat!! They sent me a pen with my name and Tepper Business School engraved on it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nc, it's probably going to be Ross. Tepper is an excellent school, but not in the same league as Ross especially for manufacturing/operations. I know only two other schools that have a dedicated institute for the Manufacturing/Operations specialization. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Got my interview invite last Thursday. Anyone have any stats on the interview yield for Tepper?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I got my invite yesterday but i'm having a lot of trouble trying to get through on the phone number they send. anyone else having that problem?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10