Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep # 1 under bad conditions - help to evaluate [#permalink]
Sorry to bother you guys, I wish there was a legend to decode the terms.

What is GMATPrep? I assume its a Software, but does it come with Kaplan? Princeton Review?

I would appreciate if you could elaborate for a new comer (relatively).

Thnx
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
https://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT

towards the bottom.

MBA.com has two free practice CATs available for download. They remain the best indicators of how well you'll do on the real deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
GMATPrep is GOLD. DO NOT waste them.

Just curious: I read that you can retake GMATPrep numerous times without seeing any (or very little) repeat questions - can someone really potentially "waste" these by taking them too many times?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Tangaroo wrote:
kidderek wrote:

Just curious: I read that you can retake GMATPrep numerous times without seeing any (or very little) repeat questions - can someone really potentially "waste" these by taking them too many times?

Take them when you're ready to see how well you can expect to score in the near future. If you just take it over and over again before you do any real studying you'll burn up all the questions in the question bank without really getting much benefit. The first time you take each test is obviously the most accurate, but I've also heard that you can take it a couple times and get new questions each time (with maybe a few repeats).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
eschn3am wrote:
kidderek wrote:

but how accurate is their scoring in this situation? Can you really get 15 quant problems wrong and score a 45q? That seems very hard to believe

yes that's my main point. i would maybe understand if experimental questions (ones that do not count toward your score) somehow were included in the simulation?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Ignore the number of questions you got wrong - that by itself has very little to do with your final score. I've gotten 13 questions out of 37 wrong and ended up with a q49 on my second GMATPrep exam. I ended up with q47 on the actual test, so it was a reasonably accurate predictor.

And yes, GMATPrep does have experimental questions that are not scored.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Ignore the number of questions you got wrong - that by itself has very little to do with your final score. I've gotten 13 questions out of 37 wrong and ended up with a q49 on my second GMATPrep exam. I ended up with q47 on the actual test, so it was a reasonably accurate predictor.

Wow...I didn't know accuracy had so little do with final score. I was under the impression you could only miss a couple questions to score around q49 good to know!
VP
VP
The kind and difficulty level of questions you are getting wrong is much more important than the number. And bear in mind, 7 or 8 question are experimental and not scored - so luck plays a big role as well. You can get all experimental questions correct, even truly mind numbing ones, make mistakes in 600 level ones, and end up with a much lower quant score than you deserve. Or you could do all scored questions correct, mess all experimental questions up save for one or two and still get a 49-50!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for this input.
i was aware that different questions have different weights but i was not sure how this actually translates into a final score. it's still unclear as i look at the sequence of correct and incorrect answers, they are sort of spread evenly all over the place - it's not like i had the first 10 (seemingly crucial) questions right and then it was downhill from there :?
VP
VP
The GMAT scoring algorithm is obviously proprietary and hard to figure out - which is why none of the test prep companies have been able to design a CAT that's as reliable a predictor of your test day GMAT performance as is GMATPrep.

The first 10 questions are no more crucial than the middle 10 or the final 10. Since GMATPrep doesn't really tell you what level questions you got right or wrong, it's fruitless for you to think so much about this. Just work on reviewing the concepts involved in the questions you got wrong and that by itself should help you improve.

Phish wrote:
thanks for this input.
i was aware that different questions have different weights but i was not sure how this actually translates into a final score. it's still unclear as i look at the sequence of correct and incorrect answers, they are sort of spread evenly all over the place - it's not like i had the first 10 (seemingly crucial) questions right and then it was downhill from there :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
FYI-- I scored a 48Q and missed 11 questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
eschn3am wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Wow...I didn't know accuracy had so little do with final score. I was under the impression you could only miss a couple questions to score around q49 good to know!

For Quant I have found this to be true. Verbal is much different though I think. Ur accuracy here is key. Missing around 13 verbal questions will significantly lower your score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks all
I just completed test 2 with a 610 :( Q42, V32
Completely bombed the verbal section, and i do see here instances of your inputs. 15 wrong questions in verbal really made the score plummet, and 12 wrong in quant. Most of the math questions I missed out were extremely simple and were due to calculation mistakes and/or not reading the complete question.
So much for trying to figure out how gmat score works, my test is on friday and i'll be doing two more gmat preps one tomorrow and the other on Thursday.
At this stage, i'm not sure what else i can do besides practicing my pacing and focus, My quant seems quite level however my verbal is all over the place (specifically CR).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Sorry, a bit late. What I meant wasn't to try to determine a score for you, but rather to let you know that you should not waste a GMATPrep when you're not ready or if conditions are not that of what you should expect on test day.

As for re-takes, yes, you can re-take them and you will get a handful of repeat questions. Again, the first two are golden, do not waste them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I took the actual exam on friday, and the results were in the expected range. 640 Q42 V36.

There were no major surprises as far as the content goes, and i was ok with my performance, but i quickly decided to take the exam again in a month and boost my verbal (when i first started studying i thought that this was my strong area!) because i know i can do much better, plus my undergrad GPA is average.

My work experience and professional record is quite unique (i'd like to think :) ) and rock solid and i do not want a variable such as the gmat to jeopardize my chances. Anything below 700 is now unacceptable! See you on the verbal forum.
GMAT Club Bot