Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Re: * < 24 - How do you find the job hunt? [#permalink]
iamjoesargent wrote:
As a young applicant myself, I wonder how the job search is going for those applicants that are younger than 'normal'. The way I see it, I wouldn't be at any more of a disadvantage than a career switcher, but I think it would be helpful to hear from some people who are actually in school (or have classmates) in this situation.

I have spoken to a couple of students at the schools I applied to, but it's been hard to track down some good information. I think this slightly anonymous way might be better.

If it helps, I am most interested in brand marketing, and I think I want to go that route post-MBA. Information on any field would be helpful though. Thanks for looking!

24 years old, have an internship with PepsiCo (brand management) for the summer. Age didn't hinder my search at all. However, I had an unusual amount of W/E for my age. I really don't see it as a disadvantage. It may make it tougher to get the respect of recruiters, but if you can get them to take you seriously, then your age maybe an advantage (ie, look I've accomplished all this in less years than the it took my classmates, shows drive and good work ethic).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
iamjoe,

Just to add another case, I ran into one of my fellow classmates in the gym today and internship hunting came up as a topic. He is a 21/22 year old fresh out of Ugrad (impressive GPA/GMAT) but clearly lacks experience. Currently he is pursuing IB and is making quite a few closed lists (Lehman, GS, Merrill...). However, he has run into more than one situation where one of these firms bring up the fact that they might want to start him as an analyst and allow him to work his way to an associate in a year or two due to his lack of W/E. So, age is not necessarily the issue rather W/E or the lack of it. I think if you have solid life experiences at minimum you should be able to spin it into good stories for recruiters and in interviews.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
^^ Both of the above were really helpful, thanks guys.

I hope I can flip this vast internship experience into something, lol. Hearing that others have had success is calming though.

https://regularblackguy.blogspot.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Personally, I wouldn't recommend B-school until you have at least 3 years experience. Thats just my personal take...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I hear you...and I've heard that before but I'd appreciate it if you could explain your statement further.

Not in a defensive way I'm just curious.

Just to get it out there, I consider myself the 'intern king' (jokingly of course). I've been in school for a while but I've done six internships during school/over the summer (4 unpaid...damn sports internships, lol). I've done projects, worked full time, had and reached goals. I guess my point is that blanket statements like that just bug me. Or maybe I'm just stubborn.

Anyway, I'm curious about your opinion.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
I think that the experience thing largely has to do with being able to draw on your experiences in the work world to add to the class environment. I see two major benefits:

1. B-school is all about DOING stuff. It's not an intellectual exercise. If you've got no experience, then the coursework will simply be less relevant. I can't tell you the number of times I've sat in the classroom and had the concepts made clear by comparing them to something that I did or that I saw back on the job. Almost nothing from college ever relates.

2. B-school is also about learning from your classmates -- professors often ask if anyone has had experience in Y industry with X issue. If you don't have experience, you don't have much to bring to the table.

Obviously, these are generalizations. Your internships may give you this type of experience. And it's not like we all come to school with the perfect package - we're all missing something. But these two issues seem pretty key to me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well taken, but how do finance guys apply marketing concepts, or vise versa? Is that an issue for people in school?

I am basically anticipating 'selling myself' like a career changer would.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Someone else should answer that one. In my last job, I did HR, mktg, ops, quality, strategy, partnerships, all kinds of things. But I would guess that even if you worked in i-banking, you had to deal with the HR or marketing or ops policies. Nothing's in a bubble.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
You should really try to talk to someone in brand management to get their take on this. I don't know brand management, but in general (esp in IB and consulting) you won't be hired at the same level as your classmates with experience and sometimes getting hired this way is not a smart idea. I've heard from my banking friends that they'll occassionally hire an unexperienced MBA as a second year analyst. But, then you'll be making half of what other MBA's are and you're expected to be on a level with analysts who have already been doing this job for a year (bottom line: you'll be at the bottom of the class). I guess I just don't see the value is doing this. It'd be a much better idea to wait a few years and try for an associate position.

Also be aware that no full-time MBA program I know of will allow you to count internship experience as full-time work experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
Also be aware that no full-time MBA program I know of will allow you to count internship experience as full-time work experience.

Yeah I know...and thankfully I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to Cornell already. I am looking ahead to the actual job now. I will definitely try and track down some brand management students in my similar situation. I was hoping I'd find some on here.

I use the internship thing to show that we 'young people' have things to add too, lol. I started this post to see if younger applicants are given a fair shake, and it seems as though that depends on the industry. I would think that if business schools are trending toward younger applicants (albeit slowly) then companies would follow suit.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
You should really try to talk to someone in brand management to get their take on this. I don't know brand management, but in general (esp in IB and consulting) you won't be hired at the same level as your classmates with experience and sometimes getting hired this way is not a smart idea. I've heard from my banking friends that they'll occassionally hire an unexperienced MBA as a second year analyst. But, then you'll be making half of what other MBA's are and you're expected to be on a level with analysts who have already been doing this job for a year (bottom line: you'll be at the bottom of the class). I guess I just don't see the value is doing this. It'd be a much better idea to wait a few years and try for an associate position.

Actually, this I haven't heard before. Banks recruiting in the US generally do not hire MBAs on as analysts. Certainly, it could be more difficult for candidates with less experience to land a banking job, but everyone is generally hired in at the same level (associate).

I know this is true at any of the elite or ultra-elite schools; I don't know if policies are different at other schools. I do know that at some international schools (seem to hear a lot about those in India) banks will hire MBAs on as analysts instead of as associates. But if you're at Cornell and land a job with an IB, you'll be hired on as an associate; the real challenge is convincing a bank to hire you rather than one of your more experienced classmates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Could be true I guess, just not what the people I know who are working on wall street say their firms do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I dont think age is an issue, as long as your background and skills fit the firm's needs. I am 2006 college grad, and I was able to secure offers from MBB for summer consulting.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
My experience on the subject (just by talking to younger classmates or to recruiters) is the following:

- Some general management programs required applicants to have about 4 - 8 (or 5-7) years of relevant work experience at a particular group of functions or industries. If you want those jobs, you'll have a tough time selling yourself.

- Consulting companies won't necessarily care that much, as long as you nail the cases.

- Recruiters for finance jobs would like you to have some pre-school experience (preferably finance or consulting). Unless recruiting is for IB specifically, in which case I don't think experience would matter as long as you show maturity and achievements.

L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Out of curiosity, are you ever asked to disclose your age during the recruiting process? Or do most recruiters estimate your age based on year of graduation, amount of work, etc?

Asking because I'm quite a bit younger than my colleagues (by about two years) and am wondering if it will ever come out during the recruiting process...

thanks,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
it's illegal to ask about age in a job setting - ditto family status, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation, etc.

but i am quite sure they do the basic math from your graduation year. it's not foolproof, but generally a good estimator.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
it's illegal to ask about age in a job setting - ditto family status, religion, ethnicity, political affiliation, etc.

but i am quite sure they do the basic math from your graduation year. it's not foolproof, but generally a good estimator.

In the US that is...

In Japan, they can ask for all the above info and a photo for your application.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2