Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which options describe you

You may select up to 3 options
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [2]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits -Room! [#permalink]
dude... :-D

ncprasad wrote:
Ncprasad’s MBA Story – Part 1 : The MBA Decision

I never thought that I would one day be applying to business school. Like most young engineers in the Indian IT sector, I thought that MBA grads are there just to make up fantastic stories about how our software rocks and how our <insert outlandish buzz word here> business model is better than that of all the other companies around, so that clients will give us business. In fact, I had a fair amount of disrespect for MBAs. In my mind, they were too snooty, too lazy and certainly no good. Years rolled on and my views that MBAs are nothing but glorified over-paid power point professionals had not changed that much since the early days of my career.

So, I went to my manager(an IIM-A graduate) and asked him if the company would support me for an EMBA. He said “Yes”, and then advised me that there is a HUGE difference between an EMBA from T-bird and an FT MBA from a top 20 school. More than all the salary and job profile info that he shared, what struck me was his confidence in my ability to succeed at a top MBA program. Over a period of 1 year, he constantly quizzed me about my MBA search, and egged me on to take it more seriously. Then, a colleague of mine told me to stop worrying about the type of MBA and start worrying about the GMAT because I had to take it no matter what. Apparently I had to take this exam and get a score of 700+(what a weird scoring system, I think) because I have a cookie-cutter profile (More on this later). At the end, he told me to register at this website called https://www.gmatclub.com. And I did. The rest, as they say, is history.

The history lesson will continue sometime next week...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media &amp; Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
nice, can't wait to read the rest, NC! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Yes, continue.

I think we all like to hear about these stories.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ncprasad’s MBA Story – Part 2 : The GMAT

So, with no idea what type of MBA I was going to pursue or where I was going to apply, I registered at GMAT Club. To give you an idea how naïve I was at that time, the only “Ross” I knew at that time was the discount clothing outlet near my house. In the beginning, I was intimidated by the posts on the math forum. Hobbit and Fig were posting regularly those days, and their explanations to tough math problems went a million miles above my head. My confidence that I can ace this test (after all, I scored 100% in math all through high school and college) was shaken. But by now, the competitive juice in me was flowing and I was really addicted to the forum. I started working diligently on OG problems. Then, I slowly moved to verbal which surprisingly came easy to me. For CR, the area one can most improve on, I used the “other” official guide in the verbal forum. One written by HongHu, the GMAT goddess and a PPT written by AkamaiBrah, the real-life wizard of Oz. Slowly but surely, my GMAT practice went higher and higher and I was soon getting 800s in my practice tests. I was also posting a lot on the verbal forum. The more I posted, the better I got (New members, take note of this).

11/29/06 - Power Prep 1 - 690 - Q45,V40 - With virtually no preparation.
12/17/06 - Power Prep 2 - 760 - Q49,V45
01/02/07 - GMAT Prep 1 - 750 - Q49,V44
01/13/07 - MGMAT CAT 1 - 780 - Q48,V51
01/20/07 - MGMAT CAT 2 - 780 - Q49,V51
02/06/07 - MGMAT CAT 3 - 800 - Q51,V51
02/10/07 - GMAT Prep 2 - 760 - Q49,V45
02/16/07 - Repeat GMAT Prep - 780 - Q51,V47

Finally, the D-day came and it came with disappointment. 740 with Q50 and V40. I know it sounds silly to call this a bad score. But, that’s how I felt at that time. I publicly admonished myself on the forum and I quickly regretted it. There were many who would give anything to have my score and by ranting I was indirectly insulting those who worked very hard for their 730s and 720s. If I was not happy, I needed to vent myself gracefully. From that experience, I learned an important lesson. To be sensitive to others opinions and emotions when I post on the forum. I needed another way to work off my frustration. I decided to retake the GMAT. (shocking, I know!).

I analyzed my test day performance and realized that in my anxiety to see my final score, I had rushed through the verbal section. I promised myself that I will take it slower the next time. I also bought the Quantitative review book and worked out all the problems. I printed hobbit’s explanations of tough math problems and read them every day. I prepared less intensely the second time and tried to relax in the build up as much as myself. (thank god, I didn’t relax with Jessica Simpson in Cancun. It would have been hell to pay).

Finally, I scored a 760 with Q49 and V44. I was satisfied.

GMAT done and dusted, I took time to pen my thoughts on how best to go about preparing. I am reposting them here in the off-chance that it might help someone.

Some random thoughts on the GMAT

GMAT Study Materials - Must Have List

Quantitative - OG 11th edition, OG Quantitative review
Sentence Correction - Manhattan GMAT Prep, Strunk and White - Elements of style
Critical Reasoning Strategy - LSAT super prep
Reading Comprehension Strategy - LSAT super prep

I have heard good things about the Manhattan book on word problems. But I personally did not use them and so I cannot comment.

QUANTITATIVE SECTION
I did not buy any other books for Q. Fig and Hobbit do an awesome job on the math forum and you dont need a book with those two around. Do NOT fret too much about probability and combinatorics. I have seen a lot of people who worry too much about these 2 areas of math and thus, waste valuable time which could be spent much more productively on other areas.Hobbit hit the nail in the head when he said this...

the most common prep mistake (in my view...) that people do:
- concentrating on advanced concepts and hard questions. the ROI of this kind of prep is small (it would be higher if you were to advance for 48-49 to 51).

One other thing. Do not spend too much analyzing the difficulty level of the questions during the real exam. I have heard my friends say that if you are doing well, you will get more probability and combinatorics questions. It's not true.On the real GMAT test, I got ZERO probability questions. I got exactly 1 tough combinatorics question. I still ended up with a 50. Work on improving weak areas, but do not spend too much time working on a couple of question types. Make sure that you practice the routine questions again and again. Ultimately, these questions will decide whether you have a good test day or not.

Strategy to get into the GMAT mode of problem solving
The GMAT tests very basic mathematical concepts. All the questions can be solved using simple math formulae and common sense. You can prepare for the GMAT math by regularly doing this simple, yet fun, exercise.
Pick a couple of your friends who are preparing for GMAT.
Use simple math forumulae create try creating twisted GMAT-type questions.
Each of you can create a list of questions in this manner and challenge the others to solve it.
By doing this exercise enough, you will begin to think like the test makers and your brain is better trained to spot the traps.

Also, everybody knows that asking questions is a lot more easier than answering them

The problems in the real test are slightly more complex than the ones in GMAT prep. For example, I got one real twister in the math section.

The question had 2 linear inequalities with variables x and y. The answer choices were 5 graphs and I had to pick the choice that graphically represented the solutions to the inequalities. The question threw me off, and I ended up spending 5 mins on this one.

The point is, no matter how much you are prepared, GMAT will throw you off the wheels with a twister. When you encounter a twister, just take a deep breath, give it a shot for 1 or 2 mins and if you still cannot solve it, guess and move on. Dont dwell too much on 1 question and lose valuable time. Because I got the above question close to the end of the math section(35th I think), knowing that I had 10 mins for the last three questions, I could afford to spend more time on it.

VERBAL SECTION
The LSAT super prep book is excellent for understanding CR and RC strategies. Believe me, you can improve as much in CR and RC as you can in SC.

For CR, check out HongHu's stickies on If X Then Y logic and Logical fallacies. They are hard to understand, but keep at it and spend some time studying and digesting them. It's well worth the effort.

I will hang around the verbal forum and will try to participate as much as possible. If you have questions on CR, PM me. I will be happy to help you, as much as I can.

Final thoughts

This club is the best online support group for GMAT preparation. Apart from the awesome materials available on this site, there are some extremely smart and helpful folks around. If you are a new club member,you should be happy that you have made the right decision by registering at GMAT club.

If you are a newbie to GMAT preparation, you will probably be intimidated by the quality of discussions at gmat club. I have some good news for you. Most of us felt intimidated at one time, but there is a simple and effective method to get over it.

PARTICIPATE!

And when you post answers,do not just say 'A' or 'B'. Be detailed when you post your answers. It makes for a very fruitful discussion. Now, I know what you are thinking.

I have a 12-hour work day and I have my wife and kids. I cannot post detailed answers:-(

Well, that's understandable. But remember, you can manage your time by choosing quality over quantity. If you can post only 1 quality post in a day, then so be it. The forum will be better for it and believe me, you will be too.

If you are wondering, 'What's in it for me?'

I request you to adopt this practice for another reason. To track your progress and to measure exam readiness accurately, you should verify that you not only select the correct answer, but that you also choose it for the right reason. Such introspection is especially important for the verbal section of the test and for the data sufficiency portion of the math section. Whenever you take a practice test, review the answers and categorize your correct answers as as 'truly correct' or 'false postive'.

One of the key decisions that will significantly affect your final score is your exam schedule. You should take your exam when you are in 'the zone', when everything seems to click.

The key question then is 'How do I determine exam readiness'?

Here's how.

For every CAT that I took, I rescored my practice test to account for 'false positives'. You do not need to have a really complicated rescoring method. One easy method that I used and recommend is to dock 0.5 point from your raw score for each false positive and finally round off your score to the lowest whole number.

For example, lets say you get Q49 and V45 with 5 false positives in each section. Rescore your test result using the above method. Your score becomes Q47, V42. This exercise can be little demoralizing in the beginning. But if you work diligently on identifying and correcting your weak areas as much as possible and reinforcing your strong areas, you will soon observe a downward trend in false positives.

I recommend that you take your GMAT only if your re-scored raw score combination consistently exceeds your target score by 20 points. (Obviously, this wont work if your target score is 800 )

And, take care of your health. I had severe sinus headache and fever on the day before the exam. In hindsight, I believe I was not in the best shape on exam day and I suspect my endurance during the test was lower than normal. This probably played a part in the final outcome.

Again, the point is, put yourself in the best possible position to succeed and being in good health is the first step towards putting yourself in the best position.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
Ncprasad’s MBA Story – Part 2 : The GMAT

01/13/07 - MGMAT CAT 1 - 780 - Q48,V51
01/20/07 - MGMAT CAT 2 - 780 - Q49,V51
02/06/07 - MGMAT CAT 3 - 800 - Q51,V51

Great post NC. I don't know HOW you got Q51 *and* V51 on the MGMAT CATs!!! Wow! I'm not worthy! :) The highest I have ever gotten on the MGMAT CAT is Q47 and V41...

Anyway, lots of kudos for you for this very informative and useful post. +10!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Amazing story nc , you are motivating me to think about taking the GMAT again - I scored a 720 at first attempt, which, I felt, was not my best effort. I have not used any of the manhattan or LSAT books and feel I can improve both my math and verbal enough to do better. I have some more time on my hands, now that I have finished my applications for 2008 start.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I suppose I came to the party a little late. I got my CBS admit just around thanksgiving time - been coasting along ever since :) Thought I had a good chance at LBS - the other schools I had applied to. But the subjective nature of the process and being in the desi pool took its toll - a waitlist. But I am happy I got into a great school...... It is not easy for desis that's all I can say. The key is to differentiate. Best of luck everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Congrats on CBS! Were you a reapplicant there by any chance? Also- could you please post your profile in the admissions/rejections thread? That would help future applicants. Thanks!

summer2010 wrote:
I suppose I came to the party a little late. I got my CBS admit just around thanksgiving time - been coasting along ever since :) Thought I had a good chance at LBS - the other schools I had applied to. But the subjective nature of the process and being in the desi pool took its toll - a waitlist. But I am happy I got into a great school...... It is not easy for desis that's all I can say. The key is to differentiate. Best of luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[quote="dosa_don"]Congrats on CBS! Were you a reapplicant there by any chance? Also- could you please post your profile in the admissions/rejections thread? That would help future applicants. Thanks!

Thanks dosa. Not a reapplicant. Just feel lucky/glad I got through the chatter and the excruciating b-school adminssions process.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Hey summer, congrats! Do you mind posting about your profile?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
i added summer2010 to the results list. Just need his profile in the profile list. :)

Congrats summer2010! :)
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos