Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: University of Washington Foster school [#permalink]
I completely agree. At this point, I'd be hard pressed to select UW over the other admits I've received. It's a really small school that has some great connections with local businesses (Microsoft and Amazon being the two obvious ones), but it isn't keeping up with the curve as far as pushing itself toward the top 15-20 schools. It's definitely the best available in the NW, but I'd like to see it gain a bit more momentum so it can start to compete with schools in other parts of the country.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Definitely some very interesting comments. I suppose in a way with the closest "top tier" MBA program in America being Berkeley 2000 miles south they really dont have much motivation to strive for the top.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I applied, had my interview in Boston on Saturday, it went pretty well.

We'll see the decision tomorrow. Even if I get in I'm not sure I will go because unfortunately I'm not sure I can afford it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
GMATT73 is attending UW and should be able to help you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just got a call from the AdCom a few minutes ago, and was accepted!

The program has a great reputation in the area, even if it doesn't hold up to the prestige of the top ten nationally or internationally. All in all, I applied because it's local to me (and I love Seattle), it has some great connections in the area, and it definitely has a good reputation as a solid school. I wouldn't be unhappy to go there, but with offers from Duke and CMU, it's difficult to choose the smaller, local school over the name brands.

However, with the recent name change and the upcoming building, I suspect that Foster is making a push to improve their marketing and increase their rankings/perception. I'd expect to see them improve over the coming years, though they still have a ways to go.

jjanders, good luck with your app! If you need any pointers on Seattle, let me know--I may be able to point you toward some cheaper neighborhoods and such if cost of living is a concern.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Got a phone call - I am in =)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats westsider! Are you planning to matriculate?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Tough call. Got a great offer with $$ and more from vandy. But my spouse will stay in seattle whichever I attend. (She is very supportive of me attending either program)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did she mention anything about scholarships to you? She didn't to me, but I'm not sure if that means I didn't receive one or if they'll come out with the e-mail/admissions packets that are still to come.

Leaving your spouse behind has to be a tough choice. :? Good luck with your decision!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I don't think she did. I actually listened to the message she left on my voicemail.. .over the in-computer speaker at work (the one that beeps when you turn the machine on). I must have looked like an idiot climbing under my desk like that =)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I received an acceptance call just a few minutes ago too!! There was no mention of scholarship aid so I actually asked. The adcom member I spoke with said that the scholarship decisions were not ready yet, but that we would hear within the next two weeks. I don't know if she said that because she didn't want to be mean and tell me I wasn't getting a scholarship, or if thats actually the case, but I'm not going to worry about it now.

I was really impressed with the UW students I met on a visit up to the campus last weekend, the campus was great (the actual b-school building excepted, which still seemed alright just not up to the standard of the rest of campus), & Seattle is an awesome city. UW seems to be just so close to breaking into the top 20 based on their admissions standards and the strength of their recruiting connections in Seattle, but like you guys I am concerned with how well the name will travel outside the PNW. I will say that the students at UW seem to be the equal of those at the top 20 schools I visited in terms of previous career success/GMAT score/academic background.

I'm still waiting on a decisions from Haas & CMU for R2, and I'll need to compare the scholarship/aid to the other top 30-40ish ranked school I've been admitted too, but baring an admit at Haas (long shot) or Tepper (probably 50/50) I think I will be at UW next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jc2010 - I didn't see your post at 5:11.It looks like we were both typing at the same time. Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jc2010 wrote:
jjanders, good luck with your app! If you need any pointers on Seattle, let me know--I may be able to point you toward some cheaper neighborhoods and such if cost of living is a concern.

Thanks.

Interesting that you all are getting calls - I was told during my interview all contact would be made by e-mail!

I visited Seattle last March and loved it (part of the reason I applied to UW, planing on relocating out there no matter what), but if you want to PM me with some nice, safe, reasonably priced areas that'd be great. My g/f will be attending Bastyr, so something in between Kenmore and the U District would be preferable....thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just got my decision.

Denied.

WTF. I had above average scores, good experience, had a good interview (or so I thought).

0/4, dinged on every application.

Time for a beer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
sorry to hear that, jjanders. you applied to 5 schools, then?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:

Four. This one was the last decision I was waiting on.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Didn't you apply to HBS, Yale, Johnson and Wharton, too? I'm just curious, and very surprised you were dinged at Foster. They probably pulled a 'yield protect' on you.

jjanders wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Four. This one was the last decision I was waiting on.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts