Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Re: Application review... [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks rhyme- that was a really detailed evaluation from your side. Definitely helps to get some expert opinions from you :)

msday-when you visit chicago and attend a gsb live event, they share an application similar to this and discuss what they look for as well. i thought this was a good example on what NOT to do in an app.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Nice dosa! Uno kudos for you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Now, we all can say what was wrong with his application. But the starnge thing is, if those flaws in essays were so blatant and easy to identify ( assuming nobody of the commentors in that thread went over his app for more than 20-30 minutes), then why Wharton decided to interview him ( after their stringent process of reading and re-reading and stacking of app files)? Did they not read his essays?

And according to Wharton website, they care about the highest GMAT, then why in the feedback they mentioned the first GMAT score? This point is having an implication beyond that guy's application. This pokes me to think , how much should we trust the schools' to follow their own policies?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
It's entirely possible that he had very good recommendations...I think I value recommendations very highly in the process, as it is the only thing that is entirely out of your control. If you can get 2-3 other people to say very nice things about you (in the professional sense), then I think that'd be very important.

filmcity wrote:
Now, we all can say what was wrong with his application. But the starnge thing is, if those flaws in essays were so blatant and easy to identify ( assuming nobody of the commentors in that thread went over his app for more than 20-30 minutes), then why Wharton decided to interview him ( after their stringent process of reading and re-reading and stacking of app files)? Did they not read his essays?

And according to Wharton website, they care about the highest GMAT, then why in the feedback they mentioned the first GMAT score? This point is having an implication beyond that guy's application. This pokes me to think , how much should we trust the schools' to follow their own policies?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
Great post. My redundant comments...

The guy certainly has great GMAT score, great GPA from reputable engineering school, and nice salary. His work can potentially make significant impact in our deteriorating environment. In addition, he has shown the admission committee that he truly want to attend the school by being a re-applicant and desire to improve weaknesses by obtaining feedback. These maybe the reasons he was interviewed.

On the other hand, it is unfortunate that his goal/passion/potentials doesn't come across in the essays. If I am the CEO of a company, I would not hire him simply from his writing. To me, his essays proof that 88%tile in verbal and 5.5 AWA in GMAT do not equate good writing. A lot of claims he made did not sound convincing, no specific details, no passion, confused, not logical, which ultimately led the readers to believe that he did not give enough thoughts on his essays.

So much potentials lost
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
In general, I would NEVER try to explain a low GMAT score in the optional essay or anywhere else (whether 1st or 2nd try). It just is what it is. Trying to explain it makes you look weak in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
I find it hard to criticise since I am not a good writer either, but I can provide my comments on the facts.

The reasons mentioned to select CIVIL engineering are not convincing to me and the statement where he mentions "The idea of drinking water straight out of a tap without boiling it was alien to me until I traveled to Hungary as a 12 year old." would raise question mark if even one person at adcomm knew about India because most of the middle and lower class drinks water right out the tap without boiling it.

"However, at EWBLA I felt that most members were treating chapter activities either as opportunities for having social
gatherings or as a fashion or status symbol." Part judgmental, may be honest but schools will not like this if next thing you say is, "To avoid further conflict within the team I gradually reduced my inputs and started looking for other avenues to volunteer." If there was so much concern about victims as to make judgment that was made in the first statement, one must never give up the efforts for few people not collaborating.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Useful comments but hindsight vision is always 20/20. I'm sure a lot of us will make the same mistakes when we actually write our essays on our own under the pressure of deadlines.

As his interview call might indicate, a 'weak' essay isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. Maybe he just wasn't able to make the best use of his face to face time with the adcom during the interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Rhyme has done a good job evaluating the application. I agree with most of the posters that the biggest problem seems to be his somewhat unclear goals. I have had the same problem in my goals essays .. I haven't been able to make them very clear.

hbs.aspirant wrote:
"However, at EWBLA I felt that most members were treating chapter activities either as opportunities for having social
gatherings or as a fashion or status symbol." Part judgmental, may be honest but schools will not like this if next thing you say is, "To avoid further conflict within the team I gradually reduced my inputs and started looking for other avenues to volunteer." If there was so much concern about victims as to make judgment that was made in the first statement, one must never give up the efforts for few people not collaborating.

You brought up interesting points and I completely agree with you. I agree that the first statement is judgmental and will not seem good to the adcom. Also, if you are so concerned about the 'cause', then you would certainly not give it up because others are not sincerely working for it. In fact, my belief is that for every one person that is completely devoted to the cause, there are another 50+ people who would start working for the cause with a bang only to move away in a few days or weeks. Those 50+ people may have started the work as a fashion/status symbol, they may have had just a brief urge to do something for the community or humanity or they may have found the work more involving than they first thought. But this does not mean that they don't want good for the cause. And this does not mean that the cause can't get any value out of them.

Anybody who has attempted to raise awareness for a good cause would know that you desperately need those 50+ people even if you know that they aren't completely devoted to the cause. If nothing else, they can help you tremendously with viral marketing (By telling friends, posting on their forums / social websites etc). Even their brief urges to do good for the community provide you $$$ through donations and viral marketing that are simply invaluable for the cause. There is this one girl who had this urge to help our 'school for poor ' one day. She told me that she was sending an email about our school to 6000+ members of her community in a social website. I don't care if that girl did this only to show off to her friends that she was doing something good or if she just had a moment of truth. Bottomline is that she had put our school on the radars of 6000+ people in one go. Her contribution is by no means lesser than that of people like this Wharton applicant who has perhaps spent many many hours volunteering or that of anybody else.

There are millions of people who turn a blind eye to all social causes or make fun of people involved in social causes. In such a world, how can you complain about people who are at least aware of the needs of the community and who are at least making the effort of coming to a social event?

BTW, great post, dosa. This application review thread may help 2009 applicants a lot (Depending on the kind of comments people post here). Kudos to you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I agree with rhyme, but also, i think there are some serious logical problems as well e.g., His career has `plateaued`, yet he is only 23 and achieved a promotion in the last year? How does that show it`s plateaued?

Not that saying your career has plateaued is a good thing.

One thing i do during interviews when explaing a why mba and why not engineering; i use a comparative description that most people understand. Typecasting and bring in an example of acting.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
darn, I guess I missed it. He removed his application already.

But this discussion is good, so it'll stay linked in the Knowledge vault.
GMAT Club Bot