Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants [#permalink]
kk.iyer wrote:
There's finally been some activity on the Cornell front...
I submitted my app for the Jan deadline (R3).

The app was "Under Review" for a looong time and I finally got my interview invite about an hour and a half ago !

Here's my profile...
27/Male/Indian/Engineer/IT/2 Yrs(India)+4 Yrs (USA) at matriculation
GMAT:720-AWA 6.0
TOEFL iBT:118

I've been directed to call an admissions office person to schedule my interview. Any idea what options Cornell offers as far as interviews go? Just curious to know before I make the call.

Hang in there folks...it has begun so we can hope more activity in the coming days.

when did you submit?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
I submitted it on 01/05
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1106 [0]
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Aceman, I was admitted. They called me up on Feb 06 after the AdCom's meeting to announce the result. They told me I was admitted with Forté scholarship at 40K for two years. The offer letter has been mailed via FedEx, and I expect it will arrive some time next week. I'd love to see what it says. On the phone I was too happy to listen into details. :oops:

The interview was an interesting experience to me. I was lucky to interview with Ann Richards. And luckily I read svrider's list of questions before interview. Ann Richards is a sharp interviewer. Although I was prepared, she picked some points in my "stories" and started to asked in-depth questions.

For example, when I was telling her about my traveling experience and how I got to know a place, not only with a tourist point of view but also with a potential investor point of view, she asked me how I got to know the place that way, how I realized the potential, etc. And then I had to elaborate more in my explanation, more detailed, more technical or how I conducted market surveys in most provinces I've visited, how I came to learn from economic indicators and other statistics, how I learned their urban planning and stuff...

PaulK wrote:
Congrats solid! So are you planning on the dual-degree MBA/MRE or the traditional 2 year MBA?

Dear PaulK,

Dual degree would be ideal, but I'm thinking about the tuition fees: If I am not going to receive any more financial aids, then dual degree would be financially impossible.

I've just received an email from Johnson, asking for Declaration of Finances Information: Two-Year MBA: $133,104. I knew the amount, but the time I was applying, I hardly thought that I would reach to this point: at that time, the total amount didn't mean much to me. Now it has come in real term, it becomes a shock. :oops:

133k-40k = 93k. Biggest question right now: How do I finance this much? Truly I didn't think enough when I started my MBA dream.

I am now thinking of asking for more Financial Aids and then cover the rest with loans. Any suggestion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1106 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For those who are having interviews:

I had a phone interview on Jan 28 with Ann Richards. I'm half the globe away from Cornell, so we arranged an interview over the telephone at 9.15am in Cornell, and 9.15pm in my place. I'd love to have an on-campus interview if I were a local student, but my situation is different.

People talk about phone interview and its disadvantages compared to on-campus one, but I do believe that the interviewer and the AdCom understand the difference well and will make sure that the assessments are fair.

If you are from overseas, make sure that the phone line quality is good enough, you may try to call in the Admission Office several times before the actual interview to test the line. They welcome these calls.

In the interview, the best thing you can do is be yourself. There are tons of advices of what you should tell them, how you should present in what tone, what voice and things, that you should show how enthusiastic you are, blah blah... Those are good, but DO NOT EXAGGERATE, be just as you are, simple and persuasive.

And be prepared to give details of whatever point you make in the interview, even rather technical details. If you are asked, try to make the answer clear and simple enough, to show them that you master this problem and are able to explain to a non-expert in the field.

Lastly, I would like to share this from svrider, the list of questions that are likely to be asked in the interview. This list helped me a lot in my interview, although I had it only 15 minutes before the interview.

103-t58966
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
congrats dude...awesome job with the scholarship...I interviewed Jan 21...still no news...jesus i wonder what they're up to. It's already 1 WHOLE MONTH since the original final decision deadline !!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Round 4 -

Any remote chance for a Indian applicant ?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Hi all. I am actually a R3 applicant to Cornell, but things have happened so fast, I haven't had a chance to give an adequate update.

I received an email about mid-January inviting me for an interview. I visited this past week and had a great experience. Students there are incredibly nice and Ithaca is beautiful. It was between 5-20 degrees the whole time though, so can't say I spent much time outdoors. Even though I'm a R3 applicant, they did apologize while I was there to other people who were R2 applicants just now being interviewed. So it sounds like there's some overlap.

Now I wait until March. Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear PaulK, good news! And let's wait for more good news to come!

You said it was 5-20 degrees? I saw on weather forecast that it was always below 0... Btw, whom did you interview with?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aceman, I suggest you make a phone call to Admissions Office. Sometimes it's too slow over the email, but a call will solve the problem.

Last few days I have been waiting for official information about my Forté fellowship. I expected it to arrive together with the offer letter (FedEx-ed to me the day before yesterday). It didn't though. So I had to email the person in charge. Finally last night they confirmed that "Yes you are selected as a Forté fellow... We apologize for the delay..." I do feel things are a bit messy, but it's understandable. My job now is the same busy and messy, and Clients' patience and tolerance is especially appreciated.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
solidcolor wrote:
Dear PaulK, good news! And let's wait for more good news to come!

You said it was 5-20 degrees? I saw on weather forecast that it was always below 0... Btw, whom did you interview with?

solid, with wind chill, it was certainly well below 0. Everything turned to ice. My interview was with a student, which was an interesting experience. I didn't get to meet Ann Richards, but I met other students who were interviewing with her, so I told them I had heard (from you) that she is very comfortable to interview with.

Now just waiting to hear!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
solidcolor wrote:
Aceman, I suggest you make a phone call to Admissions Office. Sometimes it's too slow over the email, but a call will solve the problem.

Last few days I have been waiting for official information about my Forté fellowship. I expected it to arrive together with the offer letter (FedEx-ed to me the day before yesterday). It didn't though. So I had to email the person in charge. Finally last night they confirmed that "Yes you are selected as a Forté fellow... We apologize for the delay..." I do feel things are a bit messy, but it's understandable. My job now is the same busy and messy, and Clients' patience and tolerance is especially appreciated.

Oh I have called the office many many times. They've told me the same answer the past 2 weeks..."we'll get back to you as soon as we can"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys just got an interview invite. But they are asking me to schedule an on campus inteview, which is out the question. Do they offer options for alumni or phone interviews.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Solidcolor and svrider - thanks for the interview feedback/info.

I got an invite for R3 this week as well.

tsaditya - did you talk to adcom's yet about the possibility phone interview, etc? I've been playing phone tag with them to schedule, but may have an issue if they want it on site as well (especially as I'm assuming they'll want it done quick with the decision date looming in a couple weeks).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well i just got the invite today morning. There is no way i can go on-campus. I am in Singapore and do not even have a US Visa. Hopefully they are ok with alumni or phone interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PaulK, I had interview on 28 Jan, was told to expect their call on Feb 01, but didn't hear anything until Feb 05. On Feb 04 (the next Monday) I called the Admissions Office and was told that the AdCom would meet on Feb 05. The calls to Admissions Office was informative and helpful.

Aceman, I don't know about your case, but did you tell them your name, your date of interview and stuff? I think with this information, they will be willing to check the status, or at least when the AdCom will review you application.

tsaditya and wallspotter, congratulations on the interview invitations. Don't worry, I was on the same boat and had a phone interview. I was worried like you now when I received the invitation email, but I called the guy in charge (the one sent you the email), he explained to me clearly the possibilities, and he offered a phone interview (given that he couldn't find any alum in my country or any nearby country!). You may have an interview over the phone, or an interview with an alum. Either way is good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
yeah they have all my information. Just keep telling me to wait. I am extremely annoyed by this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi guys any key aspects I should know about Cornell interviews.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  43