Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Re: Business attire for women [#permalink]
hi girls,

I think skirt looks more professional than pants so I will def. wear skirt

And I did not say that the stockings should be lighter than your skin color, but as close to your skin color as possible. I don't think they should be darker/lighter but as exactly your skin color as possible.
Ofcourse you won't find some that are exactly your color, but an 'unnoticable' variation will not be noticed... so just go with something as close as possible
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bee186 wrote:
I wonder why most women who are powerful executives or CEOs have their hair cut short.. I rarely see them with long hair..

I personally think that too long hair is not professional. The longest my hair ever got is sholder length

Also, most older women (40+) prefer to have short hair, and the CEOs are normally older (at least 35+
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
bee186 wrote:
I wonder why most women who are powerful executives or CEOs have their hair cut short.. I rarely see them with long hair..

I personally think long hair on older women isn't age appropriate.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
My own two cents:

Women get away with a lot - the rules are much more fluid.

Stockings - I think you just look more polished with them on, but that's me. I would also say that tights tend to be a bit casual, but nylons are fine. Black or skin -- i see a lot of both, but white or whatever would seem out of place. I have heard people say that in the biz world you never go with bare legs, ever. However, I think that's changing with our generation. I wear 'em when I'm dressed to impress, but some friends don't, and these are friends who have a sensible look. If you want to be more conservative, wear stockings of some kind.

Pants or skirt -- I promise it won't matter for your interviews. Even in recruiting -- from brand mgmt to ib to consulting -- women wear both. Wear what you feel comfortable in. (It should go without saying that ally mcbeal's skirts were only fit for primetime and never the board room. Pants shouldn't be too tight.)

Hair - the general rule is that up is more professional, or shorter than shoulder. I tend to agree. I have two friends with glorious hair, the kind that smitten lovers would write poetry about. One's blond and the other a redhead. They've got great hair, but I think it's so much and so beautiful that you tend to see their hair and not them. It'd be like wearing fire-engine-red lipstick -- hello, lips....instead of hello, greatest accomplishment.

Shirt - sweaters and button-downs are both fine for admissions interviews. I have heard that button-downs are more conservative (this from an IB friend), but I see a lot of both. I never wear button-downs b/c I'm too busty. They never fit in all three places (waste, bust, shoulder) at the same time and I am too cheap to buy one that is sized as bras are. Also, I am short and curvy and just don't need the extra fabric that comes with the collar and buttons.

Don't know if this helps. If I can scope anything out for you all, let me know.

Oh, and I love TJ for suits. I got a great one - jacket, skirt, and pants - for $70. Retailed for way, way more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
About the pants vs. skirt dilema

When you interview you are actully marketing yourself, selling yourself. Anyone that has worked in sales can tell you that any detail matters. And, ofcourse you won't get the job just because of one detial but all the details put together make who you are in the eyes of the interviewer. Also, there is a thoury that people get an oppinion about you in the first 30 seconds they meet you, and it is really hard to change that first 'impression' or the first judgements that people make about you.
Therefore looks matters and every detail matters because it is part of the product you are trying to sell. And when you interview everythig you put on matters, even your nails matter!! and therefore it matters if you wear a skirt or pants. Sure both of them are present in the business world, and once you get the job you can wear them both in any color you like :) but for the interview go with the 'more perfect' choice = skirt. You just leave a better impression by wearing a skirt, and it is that first 'rather subcontious' impression that you leave on the interviewer, is the impression they get before they start to think whether they like pants or skirt better :). Maybe skirt is better because it is the more traditional and therefore the more normal business attire for women, maybe it is because the interviewer grew up watching his/her mother wearing skirt to work... who knows :) but when you interview you are not there to change traditions, you are there to sell your product.

I am still having doubts about the color though. I have heard that for men black is no longer acceptable color, but I don't know if that applies to women also. And if it doesn't why would it be any different for women ?!?!?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
women wear black all the time.

also, keep in mind who your interviewer is. an alum working in IB will likely have different expectations from a student.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
About the pants vs. skirt dilema

When you interview you are actully marketing yourself, selling yourself. Anyone that has worked in sales can tell you that any detail matters. And, ofcourse you won't get the job just because of one detial but all the details put together make who you are in the eyes of the interviewer. Also, there is a thoury that people get an oppinion about you in the first 30 seconds they meet you, and it is really hard to change that first 'impression' or the first judgements that people make about you.
Therefore looks matters and every detail matters because it is part of the product you are trying to sell. And when you interview everythig you put on matters, even your nails matter!! and therefore it matters if you wear a skirt or pants. Sure both of them are present in the business world, and once you get the job you can wear them both in any color you like :) but for the interview go with the 'more perfect' choice = skirt. You just leave a better impression by wearing a skirt, and it is that first 'rather subcontious' impression that you leave on the interviewer, is the impression they get before they start to think whether they like pants or skirt better :). Maybe skirt is better because it is the more traditional and therefore the more normal business attire for women, maybe it is because the interviewer grew up watching his/her mother wearing skirt to work... who knows :) but when you interview you are not there to change traditions, you are there to sell your product.

I am still having doubts about the color though. I have heard that for men black is no longer acceptable color, but I don't know if that applies to women also. And if it doesn't why would it be any different for women ?!?!?

I wore a black pant suit to all my interviews. A little tight, even. With a sweater and unpolished nails. I think I still did pretty well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Regarding the pantyhose dillema:

I took a professional development class in undergrad (it was required for my major) that talked about how to write a resume & cover letter, how to interview, how to network, etc. On the last day of class, the prof. gave extra credit to those who came to class in business dress. Now mind you, I was working full-time at the time for a pretty conservative organization. So I came to class in what I wore to work that day: black skirt suit with a right-at-the-knee pencil skirt, a button down shirt, nude pantyhose, and black high-heeled mary jane shoes. The one critique that the prof. had for me was that she said I should have worn black pantyhose as to not draw attention to my legs. Now mind you, I had never heard this before, so take it for what it's worth.

You would not believe what most of the other students were wearing as "professional dress", though! Granted it was during the summer, so it was rather warm outside, but most of the girls had on short khaki skirts, a button-down shirt or knit shirt, no pantyhose, and sandals. Most of the guys just had on khaki pants and a button-down or polo shirt. And these were all seniors!

Also, regarding shoes, for conservative situations, open-toed shoes are a huge no-no. I've never been into open-toed shoes, but when I joined my current company, my boss (who is female) told me explicitly that hose and closed-toed shoes were mandatory with skirts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
For my B-school interviews, I bought myself a black suit (pants, not skirt) from Ann Taylor. I wore ankle boots under the pants. I have hair down to about my shoulder blades, and I left it down (if I put it up, it tends to frizz in any rain or heat--and it seemed to be raining for every single interview I attended). No jewelry at all, did nothing with my nails or anything like that. So, I was probably as "bad" as you can get (long hair left down, black pantsuit, boots) and I had a pretty good sweep on my acceptances.

I think that, in the end, you're not going to get dinged for what you wear as you long as you look professional and don't do anything too off-putting (no heavy perfume or crazy jewelry). I saw plenty of women with their hair down, a lot of black, and I'd say the majority of women I saw wore pants. While there may be particular expectations if you're in a business where you clearly wear a suit all the time, I'd say that if you don't normally wear a suit on a day-to-day basis, don't stress. Buy a suit you're comfortable in, make sure you look reasonably professional, and you should be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I would say black definitely works.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
vinviper wrote:
I would say black definitely works.

so why does black definitely work for women, and it definitely does not work for men?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
interesting thread!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [11]
Send PM