Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: Choosing your school - Any regrets? [#permalink]
rhyme, hang in there. I am sure you will have better luck in the near future. BTW, all the best for the Beer company interview.

rhyme wrote:
I'm not unhappy, but I admit the recruiting cycle has been more work than I expected.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
rhyme, hang in there. I am sure you will have better luck in the near future. BTW, all the best for the Beer company interview.

rhyme wrote:
I'm not unhappy, but I admit the recruiting cycle has been more work than I expected.

It was hard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
I am not unhappy and Darden has lived up to my expectations in many ways - but at the same time it is quite different then I expected.

The one thing I would definitely change, and I knew this coming in, would be to look at more schools geared towards real estate. However, I knew my best chance to get in to a top school was at Darden and they were nice enough to accept me.

I do find the school to be a little clicky - but that is to be expected almost anywhere.
VP
VP
Why do you think the school's cliquey, Oasis? I'm sure a lot of us who are interested in Darden would love to hear more.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
As someone interested.... also curious about why Darden has seemed cliquey.

~Sam
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
My verbal score sucks , so could any one care to explain what is the meaning of cliquey
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Ozmba wrote:
My verbal score sucks , so could any one care to explain what is the meaning of cliquey

A "clique" is a group of people that tends to hang out exclusively with only the people in that group. So if something is "cliquey" (which I don't think is really a word) it means that people tend to separate themselves into groups with little interaction between groups.

In undergrad, I found Stern to be somewhat "cliquey", often along racial lines.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
Slightly off-topic but "cliquey" is very much a word.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=14245&dict=CALD

And this word tends to get used a lot when one is speaking about b-school "culture." I am especially curious about Darden since virtually everyone I've spoken to so far has stressed its friendly, down-to-earth vibe so it would be interesting to hear more about why Oasis's experience wasn't as good.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q46  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Slightly off-topic but "cliquey" is very much a word.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=14245&dict=CALD

Haha, nice! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
First of all I don't want you all to think I have had a bad experience at Darden - this is not the case. It was my top choice school and I am happy to be here. I am simply stating that the school does have cliques and that is very much a part of the culture here - something you do not get a feel for when visiting or interacting with others.

There are some very important things I wish I had known before accepting:
- It is important to live at Ivy Gardens. This is where most of the Darden population lives and a lot of the community at the school is based off of this. While it is not imperative that you live at Ivy, it will definitely help you socially.
- The Darden Partners group was a large reason I was attracted to the school because I am here with my girlfriend (another thing that will change your experience at any business school drastically). My impression from visiting was that this club was very supportive and would help your partner find a job, have a social network etc. My girlfriend found that the partners in the group primarily stuck to the "Ivy" clique where many of the partners who lived in Ivy gravitated towards each other and seemed to exclude others.

Outside of those things I think Darden is what you make of it. It would definitely be possible to break into a clique and befriend these people, I just find it hard to do because a lot of the friendships have solidified and they seem exclusive of other people. Reality is, if you stopped to talk to almost anyone at Darden they would have a candid and open conversation with you and this place overall is friendly and collaborative. Most of the people I have met here are awesome and I enjoy going to class everyday and interacting with them.

Again, I believe you will find this at almost any school, I just think it is hard to find these things out when you are visiting/doing research. If you are considering Darden and you want to find out more about my experiences feel free to PM me - again I have very good things to say about the school and I would recommend it to anyone - I just think you should have the full picture and not simply the most flattering.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
rca215 wrote:

Isn't that life?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q46  V47
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
rca215 wrote:

Isn't that life?

I guess so, but it's especially disappointing in a progressive academic environment. This certainly doesn't seem to be the case with my friends in science academia.
VP
VP
Thanks OasisNYK, it's very helpful to get your perspective. And thanks also for clarifying what you said earlier.

rca215, that was an interesting observation about Stern undergrad.

Quote:
I guess so, but it's especially disappointing in a progressive academic environment. This certainly doesn't seem to be the case with my friends in science academia.

I think NYU undergrad is a slightly different beast because of the fact that it has such a dispersed campus in the middle of a huge city. It's somewhat easier to understand if the undergraduate social experience there is very different from that of larger universities with self-contained campuses. One can see how freshmen (especially folks from out of NYC) in a highly impersonal urban environment like that of NYU's would initially seek out people they were most comfortable with, which most easily would be people that shared their own ethnicity, and just become a tighter part of that group as time went by.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
great topic... vaulted
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I appreciate the honesty
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Funny you said that because thats one of the questions I ask current students offline.

It was def like that in undergrad until junior/senior yr, and can be like that at different companies. I don't want to attend a school where the program does not some-what force people to step out of the box and get to know people for who they are and not their skin tone or sexual preference or what eva. I know that I am a fun lovin person, and most people won't get to see that side of me in school or at work because there is a time and place for everything. That was one thing I liked about Kellogg when I visited...the students were straight up with their answers even if I didn't want to hear it.
GMAT Club Bot