Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: 6 months away from my GMAT [#permalink]
Thanks for your quick response People .
Ok, listed below are the topics i intend to cover in Quant...Please let me know if this will suffice, Also, please let me know if I'm missing out on anything important.

NUMBER PROPERTIES

DIVISIBILITY & PRIMES: Factors, Multiples, Prime Factorization, Factor Foundation Rule, Prime Boxes, Prime Products, GCF, LCM
ODDS & EVENS: Sum, Difference, & Product Rules, Two Prime Sum Rule
POSITIVES & NEGATIVES: Absolute Value, Product & Quotient Rule, Systematic Testing
CONSECUTIVE INTEGERS: Series Counting, Series Sum, Series Average, Special Products, Special Sums, Series Divisibility
EXPONENTS: General Rules, Special Bases, Simplifying & Combining Exponential Expressions
ROOTS: General Rules, GMAT Root Convention, Simplifying & Combining Root Expressions, Imperfect vs. Perfect Squares, Common Roots & Cubes
PEMDAS: Order of Operations
STRATEGIES FOR DATA SUFFICIENCY: Sample Data Sufficiency Rephrasing

FRACTIONS DECIMALS AND %

DIGITS & DECIMALS: Place Value, Estimation, Powers of 10, Last Digit Shortcut, Heavy Division Shortcut, Decimal Operations
FRACTIONS: Simplifying, Multiplication Shortcut, Reciprocals, Cross-Multiplication, Splitting Denominators, Benchmark Values, Smart Numbers
PERCENTS: Percent Tables, Percentage Change, Successive Percents, Percent Formulas, Percent Mixtures
FDP's: FDP Connections, Conversions, Common Equivalents

WORD PROBLEMS

ALGEBRAIC TRANSLATIONS: Translation Techniques, Variable Organization
RATES & WORK: RTD Charts, Average Rate, Simultaneous Motion, Clicking Charts, Basic Work, Working Together, Population
RATIOS: Labels, Proportions, Unknown Multipliers
COMBINATORICS: Factorials, Anagrams, Permutations, Combinations, Constraints
PROBABILITY: And vs. Or, 1 - x Shortcut, Domino Effect, Winning Scenarios, Counting Methods
STATISTICS: Average Formula, Median, Standard Deviation
OVERLAPPING SETS: Double-Set Matrix, Sets & Percents, Sets & Algebraic Representation, Venn Diagrams

EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES

BASIC EQUATIONS: One-Variable Equations, Simultaneous Equations, Mismatch Problems, Combo Manipulations, Absolute Value Equations
EXPONENTIAL EQUATIONS: Even Exponents, Common Bases, Common Exponents, Eliminating Roots
QUADRATIC EQUATIONS: Factoring, Disguised Quadratics, Foiling, Undefined Denominators, Favorite Forms
FORMULAS: Plug-Ins, Strange Symbols, Unspecified Amounts, Sequences, Patterns
FUNCTIONS: Numerical Substitution, Variable Substitution, Compound Functions, Unknown Constants, Graphs
INEQUALITIES: Basic Inequalities, Even Exponent Inequalities, Absolute Value Inequalities, Combining Inequalities, Extreme Values
VIC'S: Variables In Answer Choices, Tracking Charts, Target Numbers, Equation-Based VIC's

GEOMETRY

POLYGONS: Quadrilaterals, Interior Angles, Perimeter, Area, Dimensionality, Surface Area, Volume
TRIANGLES & DIAGONALS: Side-Angle Relationships, Triangle Theorems, Isosceles & Equilateral Triangles, Special Ratios, Polygon Diagonals
CIRCLES & CYLINDERS: Circumference, Arc Length, Area, Sectors, Inscribed & Central Angles, Cylinder Surface Area & Volume
LINES & ANGLES: Intersecting Lines, Parallel Lines, Exterior Angles, Transversals
COORDINATE PLANE: Slopes, Intercepts, Distance, Quadrants, Perpendicular Bisectors
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Even if your weak part is quant do not neglect verbal part because most of test takers after test realize that they lost majority of points in verbal part so try to mix quant preperation with verbal, I mean couple of hours for quant and other couple for verbal, also I think you should define weach part of quant you are weak at, because I am pretty much sure you know 50-60% of math section you have mentioned above, so you can focus on some particular sections of math and imrove results exactly in that area
best of luck in your preperation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
6 month prep is a long time pal, try 3 months, if that doesnt work you can take it again.

I am saying that out of exp. i prepared for 6 months and totally screwed up and ended with 620.

I think with GMAT u have to be good with concepts and GMAT concepts shouldnt take more than a month to learn/practice. The take test for 2 months.. Again, diff ppl have different schedules
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
aiming700plus wrote:
6 month prep is a long time pal, try 3 months, if that doesnt work you can take it again.

I am saying that out of exp. i prepared for 6 months and totally screwed up and ended with 620.

I think with GMAT u have to be good with concepts and GMAT concepts shouldnt take more than a month to learn/practice. The take test for 2 months.. Again, diff ppl have different schedules

aiming's got it right. There are two things that can go wrong with a 6 month prep.

1) You're going to burn out. GUARANTEED.
2) You won't study intensely enough, you'll loosely burn through all the good practice material.

I recommend you split the 6 month period into 2 parts. The first 2 months, you should spend learning the ins and outs of the test as well as learning all the basic concepts. What is odd x odd? Formula for the volume of a cylinder? Gotta know these things cold. Know for DS, AD or BCE. Start reading scholarly periodicals. Get that brain revving for boring mundane passages.

Then, take a break. A loooong break. If you've studied reasonably hard the first two months, you won't need anyone to remind you. You should crash and detest the gmat after about 8-10 weeks.

After your little break, go all out and address the minutiae of test. Take a CAT every week, sometimes two. Go through the answers, your mistakes and explanations with a fine comb. Never let a day pass w/o doing at least a few questions. Time everything. Get focused as test day approaches. If you've prepared well enough, you'll be chomping at the bit to attack the test. At the least, you'll be comfortable during the test.

Just remember, GMATPrep is gold. Do not waste them on a whim.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Agreed ! I'm 3 months away form the actual test and I'm already burned out.
I just took the POWER PREP today( for the fist time) and a disappointing 500. :x
Needless to say I wasted my first 3 months. Now what ?????????? :roll:
I ran out of time for quant...could not pace myself, Got a couple of CR and RC's wrong ...Overall disastrous 500.

Anyways, How acurate is the Power prep as opposed to the GMAT Prep?
Also as always PLEASE HELP !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
6 months is definitely a long time. What I would do is to focus on specific areas, starting with my major weakness (greatest margin for improvement!) and plan from then on. Good luck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
powerprep is a decent indicator. what was your breakdown between Q and V?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
one more thing, you have 4 posts on this forum over the last 3 months. You should be actively participating in the questions and discussions and post questions in which you do not understand. You need to live GMAT for the next 3 months. Learn the official guide cold. Do all of them, multiple times. But make sure you understand the concepts. Buy the manhattan gmat books, all of em cept CR. They will help you with the basics.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Although I just have 3 posts to my credit , but I do visit the site almost everyday. Right now I'm improving on my weakness ,( Inequalities, Probability, Permutaions and Combinations and Distance problems)...Those are a LOT already :twisted:
I'm going back to the basics of SC from the Manhatten Guide for Verbal and Needless to say I'm doing the 1000 series for both Quant and Verbal...
It's a new start all over again...
your thoughts???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q45  V27 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
So what happened after 6 months just curious :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts