Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Negotiating a scholarship? [#permalink]
Its worth a shot, at most they will say no dice and you get what you get. Just say they are your top choice but the full scholarship is very enticing and since you are poor it may be a deciding factor. Your chances of succeeding are obviously much better if they are peer schools...if one is a top 10 school and the other is barely on the rankings then its probably not going to work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
mNeo wrote:
eschn3am,

Did you get admits in Harvard and Wisconsin? Or you are a Wisconsin undergrad going for a Harvard MBA? I am just curious about your avatar.

I'm still a few years off from applying! I'm finishing up my undergrad this semester and working for 2-3 years in between.

My original plan was to apply to Wisconsin alone, specifically their real estate program which I believe is #3 behind Wharton and Haas. However I'm getting more and more interested in HBS for general management so if I do well enough on the GMAT in ~5 weeks (which is looking promising) I'll be applying to UW and HBS as my only two schools :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Hey, girl10021.

I was in your boat last year. All schools run their scholarships a bit differently. I think I remember hearing about one guy last year who simply called the school and an hour later had another $10k or something like that.

And then there's the other experience: you essentially have to write another essay. The AdComs might say that an MBA is a major financial investment for everyone, so they can't consider financial need. Instead, you have to convince them that you are even cooler than they originally thought.

AAu
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
At other schools, such as HBS and Stanford, scholarships are need-based. You submit your financial information (assets, liabilities, salaries history) and they determine how much you'll get.

L.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hey - thanks for the responses. Yup, they are roughly peers, both top 15 schools that don't do need-based scholarships. I figure a call or e-mail can't hurt. Like others have said, in the end it really isn't the best choice to go to the lower-ranked less-of-a-fit school over a scholarship anyways.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
good discussion, and I'm sure some of the GMATClubbers will need to know this also. I will link this to the knowledge vault.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Very helpful discussion, finding me in these shoes now.

So river, you said, you would mention it to the other school, but it should be a peer school. That implies that you actually name the school you got the scholarship from, correct?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
branson wrote:
Very helpful discussion, finding me in these shoes now.

So river, you said, you would mention it to the other school, but it should be a peer school. That implies that you actually name the school you got the scholarship from, correct?

I would be careful with that - you don't want them to think you're playing the two schools off each other.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
so did anyone try this last year, using one school to get scholarship at another?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I want to get this back up to the top. Anyone got an answer to kryzak? Has anyone done this? What was the result?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos