Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: To MBA or not to MBA, what do you want from MBA? [#permalink]
mjoeb wrote:
maverick101 wrote:
I keep debating about going for MBA or not. Is it wise to pile up a huge debt and then work hard to pay it off first.

Entrepreneurship interests me more than a job in Investment Banking. What do you guys think? and what interests you more?

Hello Fellow Torontonian :D

I want to do an MBA because I want to enhance what I have (A BA in Liberal Arts- Journalism/Media/Communications) and hopefully enter Consulting Strategy.

It's true, MBA is expensive... I know Rotman costs 65K CND in tution alone, but in the long run, it's a good thing to have... better than realizing you need an MBA and then it's too late to get one cause you have other financial responsibilities. The money can always be paid back, it just takes time and smart cost cutting strategies. But the educational experience is priceless.

But it really depends on you, cause not everyone "needs" an MBA to do what they love. I've seen people make lots of money because they have passion, compared to going to an MBA program that they are iffy about and don't really care as much.

mjoeb - how are you? I wonder if you decided to re-take the GMAT or if you got in to Rotman?? Let us know how you're doing.

Humbled
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
maverick101 wrote:
I keep debating about going for MBA or not. Is it wise to pile up a huge debt and then work hard to pay it off first.

Entrepreneurship interests me more than a job in Investment Banking. What do you guys think? and what interests you more?

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance" - Derek Bok :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Thats not the point I wanted to discuss, besides people going for MBA (or deciding not to go for MBA) already have gone through a lot of education.

I think it would be an extreme to assume that people who think MBA is expensive are buying ignorance. Did Bill Gates had an MBA? or how about the MBAs from top schools screwing up the world?

I don't want to discuss that.

All I wanted to know is
1) What are your aims and
2) How do you think an MBA will benefit you in achieving those goals?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
humbled4real wrote:
mjoeb wrote:
maverick101 wrote:

Hello Fellow Torontonian :D

I want to do an MBA because I want to enhance what I have (A BA in Liberal Arts- Journalism/Media/Communications) and hopefully enter Consulting Strategy.

It's true, MBA is expensive... I know Rotman costs 65K CND in tution alone, but in the long run, it's a good thing to have... better than realizing you need an MBA and then it's too late to get one cause you have other financial responsibilities. The money can always be paid back, it just takes time and smart cost cutting strategies. But the educational experience is priceless.

But it really depends on you, cause not everyone "needs" an MBA to do what they love. I've seen people make lots of money because they have passion, compared to going to an MBA program that they are iffy about and don't really care as much.

mjoeb - how are you? I wonder if you decided to re-take the GMAT or if you got in to Rotman?? Let us know how you're doing.

Humbled

Hey Humbled!!

You remember me :)

I'm kinda on the verge of giving up... I've resorted to taking a Princeton Review prep class... as I am determined to beat this thing. So I'm gonna finish the class and write the exam... and if I still don't get the bare minimum, then I guess that means that it's not time for me to do an MBA just yet.

Rotman did tell me that if I don't get the score they need, they'll hold my application for the following year cause they don't want to reject me as a candidate.

But at the same time, I still don't know if it's cause i'm naturally dumb or cause i'm just not working hard enough. One of my friends... who sucks at math as much as I do...she's also in my program (Liberal Arts)... her Kaplan Practice CATS have been in the 650 plus range!!. I don't understand... why am I getting so low? Oh well.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. (My apologies Maverick).

How are YOU humbled!? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Wouldnt this board be a bit biased?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder