Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: GMATClub Verbal Tests (Verbal Challenges) vs Real GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
I took only the first Verbal challenge and was appalled to get so many wrongs in RC and CR compared to what I'd get in GMATPrep/PowerPrep/1000 before the repeats. It was more like the MGMAT Verbal than the real thing. I noticed that there were some very close answers in RC. As far as CR, the passages were generally very short but tricky.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I actually liked Maths tests now verbal ones they may not be upto par with their maths counterpart!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
I took one more verbal challenge.
Upon reflecting, I think they are not too bad in terms of content. With maybe CR being a slight exception. What I noticed with CR is that there are almost always 2 close answers with the rest being very silly and easily eliminable. I think on the GMAT you have 2 types of CR - the easy ones which do not have any close choices but the wrong ones are not totally silly, and hard ones where you may have 2 close choices but the remaining are also not to far off.
The structure of the verbal challenges, however, needs improvement. There are only 3 RC passages although they constitute the same number of questions (around 14). There should be the standard 4 passages - 2 shorter ones and 2 longer ones. Otherwise, time-wise people may get misled. Also, I noticed a series of SCs or CRs, sometimes 5-6 in a row. Those should be more intermingled with at most three of a kind in a row.
Oh, one more thing, the SCs seemed very short, although some were tricky. I think the GMAT gives you a balanced load of short and longer SCs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I found the math very challenging but the verbal was really poor. Most of the answers were very obvious. It also reported my percentile score as NaN(not a number) for the verbal score. I took the free tests. I was thinking of buying the whole set but I don't think the verbal will be of any value to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Math seems to be very good then should try
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
dzyubam wrote:
Hi all.

We wanted to get some feedback on difficulty level of our Verbal Tests as compared to real GMAT.

Those of you who took at least some of the Verbal Challenges are especially welcome to post comments.

Thanks.

Hi all!
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
The difficulty seems about the same level as other practice tests. I did notice that there were a few questions that the only difference was a comma vs no comma. I didn't see that on old gmat exams.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I jus finished my V06 test.... got 38 correct out of 41 questions. 1 each wrong in SC, CR and RC. and a percentile of 94%.

Any idea on what is the expected GMAT veral score (out of 60) for a similar result like this...

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
I too think, verbal needs bit of improvement. RC paras I found little tougher on GMATprep (real test awaited on Monday). SCs sentences are shorter, and CR I didnt find two closer (and confusing) answers on single questions. Hope you get my idea. :)

Thanks for asking, I was too little confused about the questions in verbal (whether they resemble the actual game)!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
I think gmatlclub should create more verbal tests rather than current 6 tests :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
dzyubam wrote:
Hi all.

We wanted to get some feedback on difficulty level of our Verbal Tests as compared to real GMAT.

Those of you who took at least some of the Verbal Challenges are especially welcome to post comments.

Thanks.

Took the test and scored a 44 on verbal which i have never done on any of my tests on gmat prep and the manhattan, i think the scoring looks a bit off and the questions seem really simple..

My avg score on the other simulated tests is around 35 so i am still reeeling from the schock - none the less the test is great for me to do some practice tests..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
First of all, a very happy new year 2014 to all.

I guess this thread is a little dormant.

I took one of the VA test out of 5 VA test, I got VA 29 score which gave me a rude shock and brings me to the drawing board. But I felt the questions were easy compared to Verbal Prep. Some of the last few CR questions were tough and by the time, I got them towards end of the test, I was exhausted. I need to pace my approach. I had written GMAT with a score of VA 28, so Club tests are telling me there is not much of improvement.

Surprisingly, there were not a single resolve the paradox or Bold faced questions, though I got one in the category of similar argument.

Planning to take at-least 2 more before new year bonanza ends. :-D

Edited later:
Took two more tests in VA. The second decreased to V 28, i guess because of fatigue of back to back tests. The third one increased to V 34, but I will not read much into that stat as there were repeated premise not once but twice about Cola and extra cola. I got a passage of Cola and extra cola comparison study. Definitely shorter SC questions compared to Gmatprep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I have recently struggled with the verbal section of the gmat and only prepped for this section for the last two-threes weeks. I've used GMATpill and OG as prep material. I took the gmatprep test twice and scored 25 and 27 respectively before I started preparing. About a week and a half ago I did a Kaplan test and achieved 31 on verbal. Today, I took the GMATclub's verbal test and got 42. Is there a significant different between the CATs of GMATclub and Kaplan? Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I took the FREE GMAT club verbal test yesterday and scored a V39 (90%-ile). I wanted to know from all the experts out there about the quality of these verbal tests. I understand that this test is not adaptive, but I somehow felt the level of questions in this test is far less than that of MGMAT's. Can you help me with a feedback ? Do the GMAT club verbal tests stand a chance when compared with the actual GMAT verbal ? What can I infer from this score ?

PS: I have heard that the Quant tests are quite good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all

I just finished the free Verbal test and I want to get feedback on my score and share my experience with you. I scored 43 with 5 questions wrong. Time take - 62 mins. Can experts tell me where I stand in terms of the real GMAT test.

Here is what I felt about the test.

1) Only 3 RC's... First one was long and tough (both passage and questions) and had 5 questions which was a little surprise as I have never come across 5 questions on one passage in any of the other tests. The other two were short and really easy so probably they save me a lot of time. This is one place where the quality of test needs to be improved.

2) CR questions were a little different from official questions I have solved. As discussed in the previous posts as well, most of the times I was stuck with two very close choices while the other 3 were totally irrelevant. This is again not the case with official questions.

3) Sentence correction was OK but on easier side only.

4) I did not find this test adaptive. The link below says that these tests are adaptive but I found that 60-70% of the questions on the test were 500 level questions. Even after solving a string of three 700 level questions correctly, the next question was a 500 level one. So I dont really feel that test is adaptive.

A lot of improvement is needed on the verbal tests, if the other 5 are also of the same level. Haven't tried the Quant yet...will give feedback once i do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
GMATClub Verbal Tests (Verbal Challenges) vs Real GMAT [#permalink]
I agree with utkmittal. The verbal test looks way easier and not adaptive (and that's how I found this thread).

I was scoring V35 in tests like Manhattan and GMAT Prep and yesterday I tried the GMAT Club Verbal Test and scored a surprisingly V41 (7 incorrect in 57 minutes out of 75). I felt that RC passages were good and difficult, but there was one passage that I received 5 or 6 questions in a row, something not common. The CR were easy and I felt that a lot of questions had "obvious" answers, with almost no trap answers. The SC seems to me the most precise part of the test.

Now, speaking about the Quant Test.. oh boy, that was tough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
dzyubam wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks.

Hi, I took two GMAT club Verbal Tests today and got a V34 and a V24 in them. I got a v39 and a v38 in GMATPrep and Manhattanprep respectively, taken a week back.

I do not think that the Verbal Qs are tougher in GMAT Club tests but really they do seem not so much like the real test's. Specially the CRs.

Below is a question from one of the tests. I find it completely bizzarro.
Attachments

Q.PNG
Q.PNG [ 67.97 KiB | Viewed 9238 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator