Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: I got a full ride offer. Now what? :) [#permalink]
Standard GSB answer: Take the full ride Ross offer subtract from it your tuck offer. This is the differential over 2 years. Look at the employment reports for your target jobs at both Ross and tuck. Attempt to quantify whether or not you think you would be below average in your target market, above average, etc. Factor in geographic differences in brand that may impact overall success and such. Having identified income differentials, I'd consider these over say 5 years -- the likely maximum amount of time you'd follow a given career path. Assuming that Ross is actually lower than Tuck, move on. If Ross is higher, then it wins on both less cost and more money. If Ross is lower than Tuck in the comp department when you factor geographic preferences, then I'd recommend assuming a 3% salary growth rate and a interest cost of 5% on the difference between the scholarships. Then just simply discount the compensation appropriately, consider the cost of the additional interest (careful, this should probably be at least 5 years compounded), then just see which number is bigger.

But seriously, if the difference in scholarship isnt big, just go where your heart is. $10 or $20K isnt going to make a big diff in the end.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Wow - congrats on your offer. You are in an enviable situation :)

I have always believe that $'s should not factor into your decision but in this case, it would like the three schools are relatively similar in terms of ranking (just outside the so called M7, though Tuck is definitely better than Ross IMO). Having said that, what is amount from Tuck? > 50%? I really like Tuck but I decided against applying there because of it remoteness and my wife would have found it impossible to find a job there. I was very impressed with all the alums that I met and interacted with.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
first of all, CONGRATS! :)

Did you have to ask Ross for more $$ or did they just give you money? That was very nice of them!

Money is definitely an important factor, but it should NOT override the fit criteria in terms of whether a program is right for you.

For example, if I got into Stanford and Anderson (I'm leaving Haas out since that would be a very hard choice), and Stanford gave me no money while Anderson gave me full ride. I would still pick Stanford because of what it can do for me in terms of entrepreneurship and high tech.

If I wanted to do marketing and Kellogg gave me no money while Ross gave me full ride, I would probably still go to Kellogg because the fit is better.

You gotta consider what the strengths of the programs at Ross, Tuck, and Haas are, and how that will fit with what you want to do, where you want to work, and your long range goals. If they all satisfy the fit, then use the $$ to be the tiebreaker.

K.

P.S. My biased opinion still thinks you should come to Haas with me. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
As rhyme said, the tuition difference between Tuck & Ross is probably negligible in the long run. So if you're heart is set on Tuck, go to Tuck.

I think the only significant difference between your two choices is that you can throw in (do it humbly) during any conversation that you are a full scholarship student at Ross, but not Tuck. But overall, Tuck is probably better for a consulting career.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
i think branson is seriously thinking about Haas too... and the price difference there is definitely more significant.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Those are all great schools to choose from, Branson. I am not sure how specific you want your career to be (i.e. general mgmt consulting anywhere VS social responsibility on the west coast), but if your career goals are not toooooo specific, I would go with Ross and a full ride. I mean we're talking about a full ride here!!!! All three are great schools, and I don't think one or the other is going to make or break your career (unless you have a specialization in mind that one schools dominates). In the end, whichever school you go to, you will be working alongside MBA's from Haas, Ross, and Tuck...wouldn't it be nice to be doing so debt-free?

There are first-years on the forum who have been in your situation, and they have chosen the lower ranked top-15 school and a full ride over the higher-ranked top-15 and less or no scholarship money (yours happen to be ranked high to middle-of-the-pack in the top-15). I know for a fact that they are doing just fine in their internship hunt. Like Kwam was told at GSB admit weekend, when you're in a top-15 school, you're good to go!

Good luck with your decision, it will be a fun one to make, and last but not least...congrats!

EDIT: Of course you have to like the school, culture, fit, students, etc.

Originally posted by djhouse81 on 12 Mar 2008, 10:43.
Last edited by djhouse81 on 12 Mar 2008, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Standard GSB answer: Take the full ride Ross offer subtract from it your tuck offer. This is the differential over 2 years. Look at the employment reports for your target jobs at both Ross and tuck. Attempt to quantify whether or not you think you would be below average in your target market, above average, etc. Factor in geographic differences in brand that may impact overall success and such. Having identified income differentials, I'd consider these over say 5 years -- the likely maximum amount of time you'd follow a given career path. Assuming that Ross is actually lower than Tuck, move on. If Ross is higher, then it wins on both less cost and more money. If Ross is lower than Tuck in the comp department when you factor geographic preferences, then I'd recommend assuming a 3% salary growth rate and a interest cost of 5% on the difference between the scholarships. Then just simply discount the compensation appropriately, consider the cost of the additional interest (careful, this should probably be at least 5 years compounded), then just see which number is bigger.

But seriously, if the difference in scholarship isnt big, just go where your heart is. $10 or $20K isnt going to make a big diff in the end.

Oh GSBers! It's all about the numbers with you. (Note sarcastic and playful tone) Where's the economist in you - UTILITY is a quantifiable (well economists argue on that one) non-financial consideration!

Gotta factor in those qualitative things! (Even if you attach a dollar amount to them).

(While we're furthering school stereotypes, can you tell I love Kellogg yet? gotta bring the touchy feely)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Steel wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Oh GSBers! It's all about the numbers with you. (Note sarcastic and playful tone) Where's the economist in you - UTILITY is a quantifiable (well economists argue on that one) non-financial consideration!

Gotta factor in those qualitative things! (Even if you attach a dollar amount to them).

(While we're furthering school stereotypes, can you tell I love Kellogg yet? gotta bring the touchy feely)

Well sure, you could do the Kellogg method. But then you'd just get it wrong anyway. :)

Just kidding.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Well sure, you could do the Kellogg method. But then you'd just get it wrong anyway. :)

Which school is prettier?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
How significant was Tuck's offer, 25%, 50%, 75%?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Tuck. All the way. The financial difference shouldn't matter.
In fact, to remind yourself of this you should attend Tuck but reject their scholarship - INSIST on paying full price!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Go to Tuck. Then call Ross and tell them to give me your scholarship! :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
Go to Tuck. Then call Ross and tell them to give me your scholarship! :wink:

Hey, that's what I was going to say :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
westsider wrote:
Tuck. All the way. The financial difference shouldn't matter.
In fact, to remind yourself of this you should attend Tuck but reject their scholarship - INSIST on paying full price!

Hhahahahaahha...just burst out laughing...

you guys crack me up, we should all do a gmatclub class of 2010 get together at some point of time towards the end of the first year, what do you say?

Tuck was 20k/year. There I said it.

I am flying over there in April and will attend Days at Haas and the Tuck ASW and also see Ross in between. So on the plane home (that will be April 20th) I will probably know where I wanna go.

Debt free IS very very attractive, indeed, hard to deny.

I appreciate all your answers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
branson, we can chat more once I figure out my own scholarship situation. But you are definitely in an enviable situation with THREE choices to make, and 2 of them offering significant amount of money. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I would say Tuck as long as you would be happy in Hanover for two years. Its probably the closest thing to an M7 that isnt one. The only reason it isnt, is because it is so small.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I haven't even applied yet (will apply for '09 matriculation) but I would encourage you, as others have done, to not worry about the financial difference too much.

One example that I like is that of Billy Beane, GM of Oakland Athletics, which was popularized by the book "Moneyball". He chose minor league baseball out of high school, instead of a full-ride at Stanford, because of the money and regretted it. After he quickly washed out of MLB he became a Scout then worked his way up to GM. After having success with a small market team, the Red Sox offered him the most money any GM had ever been offered, and he almost took it. Instead he decided to never again make the mistake of making an important decision only for the money.

That's my long way of saying, I think you should go where you think you will have the best experience.

FWIW if it were me, I'd probably choose Tuck.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2