Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Comprehensive Scholarship/Financial Aid Discussion [#permalink]
branson wrote:
sweet, I can say no such thing.

I guess I am one of those applicants with the least savings and will have to take on a full load of loans. On the other hand, I can probably leverage the degree better than many. We will see. Good luck to you!

I`m an older applicant, so i`ve had time to save a bit more. Also, i`m generally a financially prudent person. Paid off all my student loans by the time i was 25, and no credit card debt by 26 (helped by an unexepected payrise at the time). Although i will have a few more stumbling blocks when applying.

For Example, I had an interview yesterday, and their main issue was my age... to be precise, the employability of someone my age (33) when compared to a younger candidate if we are both applying to a function/industry which is new to us both, as we would be both be competing for an `entry-level mba` position.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: Comprehensive Scholarship/Financial Aid Discussion - 2007-8 [#permalink]
OK. I am in a really intriguing situation as far as my visa is concerned. I have a I-485 (GC petition) pending with the USCIS. It was actually filed by my wife's employer and I am added as a beneficiary. Most student loans I researched into seem to require some form of visa with an expiry date after the school graduation date. I, unfortunately dont have or need a visa. The I-485 gives me legal status and I also have an EAD that allows me to work. Moving to an F-1 is not an option because the F1 will be denied anyway because of my pending green card.

Question : Do any of you know of folks who have obtained B-school loans with just a pending I-485? Any other alternatives for financing? For what its worth, I have a stellar credit history and my wife will be working when I am in school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
nc,

I am in a similar situation w.r.t. visa status. I haven't checked out student loans yet but I did check out FAFSA forms. I couldn't figure out if a pending I-485 allows us to file a FAFSA as permanent resident. My H-1B visa is valid until 2009 so I am not sure what to do.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
sv, I researched FAFSA. We are not eligible for any of the federal loans unless we get the GC or an I-551. As far as CitiAssist, YOU should be fine. For me, the problem is I dont have a H1 like you. My L1 maxed out long time ago and I dont have a secondary legal presence document to support my stay apart from the 485. All the loans I looked at want me to produce a visa with an expiry date later than my graduation date. I am planning to talk in detail with the financial aid office during GBR before I send in my matriculation decision form.
Fingers crossed for now :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
For international students, do we need to have applied and secured the loans before we get our F1s?

I do know that Citiassist gives loans without any cosigners to international students, but was not sure when is the right time to apply.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hey folks, seems like this thread is only for US citizens and permanent residents right? Should we start another thread for international students?

I am in particular looking for loan options other than the CitiAssist offered by most schools (in my case Cornell-Johnson). That is the only option if you do not have a co-signer, however they only let you borrow tuition and not living expenses. What are you international folks doing for the rest of the money?

I also looked into Access since I have lived in the US before with credit history, however from first glance you seem to need to have at least 4 current credit cards or car loans or home loans. Like, 4 tracks of credit. I don't have that, I only have a US bank account (which doesn't count as credit) and 1 valid credit card.

Any pointers for scholarship/fellowship sources?

Because of a variety of reasons I'd rather not (cannot) take up a loan in my home country.
Current Student
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:

Because of a variety of reasons I'd rather not (cannot) take up a loan in my home country.

Same for me, I haven't lived in my home country for 5 years, and my current country will not loan to me considering i may not be returning to that country.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
actually its probably better to start another one for intl students...the process is completely different than US students. It'll just be like 2 different groups of ppl talking separately in one thread, which is confusing.

I'll go ahead and start another one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Financial Aid Discussion for Internationals [#permalink]
Hey folks, lets discuss loan options and scholarships for international student going to a US MBA program.

I am in particular looking for loan options other than the CitiAssist offered by most schools (in my case Cornell-Johnson). That is the only option if you do not have a co-signer, however they only let you borrow tuition and not living expenses. What are you international folks doing for the rest of the money?

I also looked into Access since I have lived in the US before with credit history, however from first glance you seem to need to have at least 4 current credit cards or car loans or home loans. Like, 4 tracks of credit. I don't have that, I only have a US bank account (which doesn't count as credit) and 1 valid credit card.

**MOD let's make this a sticky**
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Re: Financial Aid Discussion for Internationals [#permalink]
I think the CitiAssist loan varies by school because for example at Ross you can borrow up to the cost of attendance, which is tuition + living expenses.
I think there are other schools like that also.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I think Wachovia and Bank of America also provide student loans, but with a US co-signer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
I think the CitiAssist loan varies by school because for example at Ross you can borrow up to the cost of attendance, which is tuition + living expenses.

Are you sure that its without a co-signer? I am surprised that Ross would offer that, considering its a public school (which are generally not as helpful as privates with international loans). Most of Ross' peer school only offer tuition without cosigner.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Ross seems to be one of the more student friendly schools when it comes to financial aid/loans. They not only give out a lot of $'s to deserving candidates but also have one of the lowest interest rates through CitiAssist (Prime, which is 6%, might drop later today :)). They also dont require a cosigner and you can get upto $64k or so, which includes living expenses.

aceman626 wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Are you sure that its without a co-signer? I am surprised that Ross would offer that, considering its a public school (which are generally not as helpful as privates with international loans). Most of Ross' peer school only offer tuition without cosigner.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Wow, that's pretty good...I thought only HSW would offer that kind of aid to internationals.

Still though, does anyone else have ideas on how to get additional loans, if you can only get tuition loans from your school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
nc

where you able to figure out what loan to use? I'm in a similar situation also, and am not sure what to do yet.

Would a cosigner help in getting a loan?
Current Student
Send PM
a US co-signer will ALWAYS help you and widen your choice CONSIDERABLY. I wish I had one. But I dont dare to ask people to cosign 80 grand loans...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hey branson, you're international? that's cool, i don't know many internationals who play lacross....

go bears.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2