Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [5]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink]
Thanks , those are some solid suggestions. I have thought about some but have not truly applied them on a consistent basis. You are right though. You have to think about how the GMAT will trick you. Also when they mention a restricting option, that is essential to the answer. They never give extraneous information. Always understand how that restricting option defines the answer.

Concerning geometry, that does seem like a great approach. It is very abstract and definitely will try and apply that method.

I think what I may do is do a set of DS questions with a strict 1 minute time limit for each and see how I do. Because with PS, I feel that if you understand all the concepts, you can always usually figure out the answer, but it may take 3 minutes or so, for someone like me. If I hit the 1 min DS mark, then that will do it.

As for Verbal, I have not tried with background noise but I think it may be a good idea to help improve focus. As you do for DS, you also need to recognize CR and RC patterns.

Now I can't vouch for this ,but something to look for as you are doing questions to see whether you see similiar patterns.

CR I have noticed that If true questions usually appear out of scope at first glance but are not and answers that appear too close to the statement are usually wrong. The opposite is true for assumption questions. In CR you have to constantly ask yourself questions based on the statement and answer choices. You have to go through each choice and break the logic, doing so by posing hypothetical questions.

RC , if you dont understand the passage , you are going to get at least half the Q wrong. RC is where you can really kill your time. You read a passage and you still spend 2 min a question, that means you didnt understand it and you will be playing catch up, and in verbal catch up is really hard to do. So back to that approach, hardest RC passages you can find, under a strict time limit, with background noise. I think I am going to start doing that. For me there is no excuse to get any RC question wrong. The answers are all there in the passage.

Another problem I have with RC is the meaning of words. I guess that can't really be helped at this stage. I am a native speaker but they can throw in hard words and you have to just hopefully be able to eliminate other choices.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
You are right. I guess I understand now how "recognize patterns" is important. If you get patterns, you will find fast solution

There is also an idea that I forgot to post:

1. PS&DS if I find the problem that I cannot solve in 2min, I try find as many ways to solve it as possible. Sometimes I spent a few hours to do so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
51 in quant is amazing!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Walker,

I always assumed that the guy who wrote the 1000 SC and CR applications would be a Verbal guru :?

It is those 2 applications that are helping me personally improve on my V score.....As for RC, be careful which passages you choose. Kaplan or MGMAT can do you a big disservice on RC - their passages are just too confusing and some answer choices too close to call. I'd stick with GMATPrep and OG for RC.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:
You are right. I guess I understand now how "recognize patterns" is important. If you get patterns, you will find fast solution

1. PS&DS if I find the problem that I cannot solve in 2min, I try find as many ways to solve it as possible. Sometimes I spent a few hours to do so.

that is insane. :shock:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
chineseburned wrote:
Walker,

I always assumed that the guy who wrote the 1000 SC and CR applications would be a Verbal guru :?

It is just a peculiar way to study :)

chineseburned wrote:
It is those 2 applications that are helping me personally improve on my V score.....As for RC, be careful which passages you choose. Kaplan or MGMAT can do you a big disservice on RC - their passages are just too confusing and some answer choices too close to call. I'd stick with GMATPrep and OG for RC.

Thanks. You confirm my fear for validity of the non-OG texts.

bmwhype2 wrote:
walker wrote:

that is insane. :shock:

When I started my study I struggled with probability-permutation problems. I could not solved many of them under 2 mins. The tactic really helped me. Now, as you can see from my posts for such problems, I feel very convinced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
walker wrote:
1. DS questions were the main source of additional time for me.

"One man's strength is another's weakness", the quote sure resonates well here! I am struggling with DS and I lose time here!

walker wrote:
Sometimes answers popped up in my mind just after I had read question. I think It is because I recognized some typical patterns:
E: - two very complex or similar conditions. I just constructed two examples to support my choice. A or B: - one condition is simple, like a=3 that is obviously insufficient but help GMAT to misdirect you to C, and other condition is seems to be insufficient but does virtually sufficient. I think the most useful (and fast) technique is construction of examples.

I try and pick numbers but that doesn't seem to work well as I spend too much time picking integers, consequtive numbers etc. Any tips there? How many cases should one try? What do you mean by construction of examples?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Kudos
where are you from, walker?
SVP
SVP