Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Fist GMATPrep: 700 (Q51,V33). Need advice [#permalink]
automan wrote:
Difficult? Oh yeah, they are difficult. But who cares about this?

I have been practicing with those passages for three/four weeks. At the time I took my first GMATprep one month ago I got 7 RC questions wrong. Yesterday I took GMATprep for the third time (no repeats) and I got all the RC question right. I promise you that the time spent on those passages is worth.

Where do you get the RC LSAT Passages?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks all !!!
Today, after 8 days practice, focusing mainly on concentration, I woke up at 5 a.m. and tried again GMATPrep1.
I felt much better in Verbal! I found my own piece, did not panic, spent no more than 3-4 min per question, concentrated only on particular question regardless many other thoughts that fought for my attention.

My result: 770 (Q51,V42) - I really didn't expect such score! :shock:

So, I guess I'm on the right scent! :wink:

What could you, guys, recommend for AWA preparation for non-native speaker?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: GMATPrep1: 700 (Q51,V33). ...2nd GMATPrep1: 770 (Q51,V42) [#permalink]
Congratunation, walker!

:beer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Walker, btw did you see any repetition?

I wonder when I can get that dream score? I am weak in all section, Math, RC, CR. :(
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
sondenso wrote:
Walker, btw did you see any repetition?

I wonder when I can get that dream score? I am weak in all section, Math, RC, CR. :(

I saw more repetitions in quant than in verbal (maybe 5-7 vs 3-4). I guess it was because I scored at the same level in quant and at higher level in Verbal.

After my first attempt I avoided to reread questions from GMATPrep and threads in forum that were marked as GMATprep questions.

In Verbal I saw 2 - 3 questions (mainly CR) that I could not forget but I think they were not crucial for my score because I had 6 mistakes vs. 15 mistakes in fist attempt. :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
great score walker, but do not be complacent with verbal. Keep working hard on it until test day and stay fresh.

For AWA, The analysis of an argument you should have no problem with.

Make sure to write 2 or 3 sentence intro paragraph that restate the question and say there are many assumptions or weaknesses etc

Then write 3 or 4 , 3-4 sentence paraggraphs, with each listing an assumption, or something that would weaken etc

Then a 2-3 sentence conclusion summarizing in diff words your examples.

Make sure to use words you would see in an RC (i.e. Moreover, Admittely, However, Furthermore) You can use Firstly, Secondly, etc to begin paragraphs as well

If you are good at CR you should have no trouble coming up with assumptions etc.

The analysis of an issue, use same format. It may be a little hard to think of examples, I found them hard, but some were stretches but as long as you are in ballpark, and keep to the same above form you will be ok. I got a 6.0 on awa after I thought I totally screwed up second essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Walker, I told you you are a drama queen :lol:
Congrats! If you stay focused I am sure you won't get anything lower than 770-780.

How many mistakes do you make on Q? I seem to be stick with a 50 there, whether I get 8-9 wrong or just 4 wrong it still gives me a 50....I don't know what to do.... :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
walker wrote:
Thanks all !!!
My result: 770 (Q51,V42) - I really didn't expect such score! :shock:

So, I guess I'm on the right scent! :wink:

You are totally on the right track! Awesome practise score. Keep up the momentum and take the test soon. You truly deserve a great score.

What are your target schools? Am sure they will climb over each other to give you scholarships.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks, guys!
My target school is HBS, so I have undoubtedly to reach 750 level. A few months ago it looked like a crazy idea of a mad man but now I have a hope.

In quant section I had 2 silly mistakes at my fist attempt and 4 (3 silly + 1 lack of understanding) at second one. I even got a wrong answer for the problem that I had seen before and for which I had written a long and detailed solution :)

Two preparation tests are not good statistics. But I have some thoughts what really helped me:

1. Do not spend more than 3 min per question. Likelihood to get a right choice is illusory but likelihood to harm other questions is very high.

2. I tried the RC technique that asks not to read whole passage. Unfortunately, it did not work for me so far. I found that my RC score can dramatically changes from 10% to 100% depending on my understanding of the logic of the passage. Maybe after my exam I will write a debrief with some interesting findings....

3. LSAT CR - the most helpful thing that I tried last time! I guess LSAT CR questions are the most concentration-sensitive problems, especially, when I added moderate noise. Moreover, they really helped me in RC, as the main point of my RC-approach is logic. And, of course, after LSAT CR I feel much better in GMAT CR. So, After I finish OG10th I will continue with LSAT RC.

4. I also used my experience as a rider of a sportbike. When I race at speed up to 260 km/h, the cool mind, management of attention, speed of thoughts, and restraint of panic are crucial things to be successful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
walker wrote:
2. I tried the RC technique that asks not to read whole passage. Unfortunately, it did not work for me so far. I found that my RC score can dramatically changes from 10% to 100% depending on my understanding of the logic of the passage. Maybe after my exam I will write a debrief with some interesting findings.....

Again, try practicing RC from LSAT. You will not regret.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
automan wrote:

Is there a good book I can buy that teaches LSAT CR/RC? Instead of just doing previous tests? Or is that not recommended?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
automan wrote:
Again, try practicing RC from LSAT. You will not regret.

Yes, I will try in a couple days after finish OG10th RC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Walker, please explain how to get Q 51? I always get 50 no matter how focused I am. I've only gotten 51 on other providers' tests but those are not accurate.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chineseburned wrote:
Walker, please explain how to get Q 51? I always get 50 no matter how focused I am. I've only gotten 51 on other providers' tests but those are not accurate.

What are your common mistakes?

I had and still have two type of mistakes:

1. Silly mistakes. Commonly, I missed something or GMAT caught me.
Treatment:
1.1. slowly read a question twice or three times in order to find "red flag": "integer", "non-zero", "odd", "even", "consecutive", "distinct", "different", "prime", "consecutive even".
1.2. try to find and understand a trap/ traps.
1.3. recognize a pattern (useful in DS).
1.4. read the question again before picking an answer.
1.5. find a solution using other approach.

2. Misunderstanding. As a non-native speaker, I sometimes cannot correctly understand/translate some questions.
Treatment:
2.1 No specific recipe beside hard work in Verbal part of GMAT and boosting vocabulary.
2.2 Sometimes CR-skills help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks Walker.
My main problem for now is speed. Once I get to the hard questions in the middle I start spending too much time on them. I am slow setting up equations and such. Then I almost always run out of time on the last few questions and have to guess. One thing I noticed - when I guess blindly I get the question wrong 100% of the time. Must be bad luck.
My second biggest problem is DS. Most of my mistakes are on DS questions. I think when I am pressed with time, I sometimes avoid writing down equations. Instead I try to do them in my head to save time and then make a mistake and pick the wrong answer.
Lastly, certain types of problems I don't feel very comfortable with and often get wrong - mixture problems and the harder rate problems in particular.
My last GMATPrep that I took I actually got only 4 wrong, none of which in the first 10 questions, but I still got 50. Which is funny, because even when I have 8-9 wrong it still gives me 50. The damn software must recognize me somehow.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
chineseburned wrote:
The damn software must recognize me somehow.

:-D

- I wrote above that I also have a huge problem with time, especially in prob-comb and remainder problems.

"if I find the problem that I cannot solve in 2min, I try find as many ways to solve it as possible. Sometimes I spent a few hours to do so."

It maybe really sounds insane but every time when I said "Aha!" I definitely transfered to next level :)
For example, our dispute over a unfair coin led me to spent maybe an hour for revision of my probability background and to consider all probabilities of different events, and so on. So, I spent 90% of 100% of preparation time namely for solving such time-waste problems.

Go through quant threads, catch such inconvenient problems, post a few ways for solving and maybe make a set of such problems like I was here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t56486

Hope this help :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37298 posts