Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum [#permalink]
Geeky as I am, I won't be buying a laptop. Instead, I'll use the one my company's given me for work (Thinkpad T60). Boohoo!

Incidentally, at the Chicago GSB class I attended, 3 of the 8 students taking that class were using tablets and actually using them to take notes in running hand. Not sure how much that data point helps you, though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I had been cruising yodobashi.com and biccamera.com.. forgot about kakaku! actually my current laptop is japanese OS/keyboard. Sadly its battery is pretty weak, as is the processor, ram, and it is heavy. Then again i got it for about Y55,000 a little over a year ago in sofmap - with a bonus of 10,000 points! I just keep sitting here thinking "if only they exported ALL the japanese models" (of laptop) :wink: Particularly the panasonics. They are nearli impossible to find here, which drives up their costs!

Also, good to hear on the tablets. I *think* i would like it for marking up slides as the prof goes over them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
This doesn't meet all of your specs, but it is SUPER cheap.

Good luck!

https://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... 0*&topnav=
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
yeah, was tempted by the $1100 acer. I had a good experience w/ acer before. I think the worst part is it is a little hefty.

then there is this bad-boy (or should i say bad-girl). Why oh WHY must it be in pink?!?!
https://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... 70&topnav=
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I'm going with the Lenovo X61. Has everything you want except for the built in DVD/CD drive... which I'm fine with (I have a desktop at home)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
If you are into macs, try https://www.macmall.com - they have some pretty good deals that should fit your budget for your specs, at least after rebates. I'm on my first mac and am liking it for the most part. However, it does seem slow if I have to run Windows on parallels (I hear it is the same with VMware) and I have 2.2 GHz processor, Core Duo, with 2 GB RAM. I am told I might need to bump up my RAM.

Unfortunately for me, I have to test some stuff on IE so need the parallels quite often for work - also a couple of applications such as changepoint to enter time/expenses require IE.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Biggest hell with a mac - shortcut keys on microsoft excel.

Biggest hell with a PC - Vista, Office 2008

I like my mac, but using excel is like sticking needles into my eyes a lot of the time. I might go as far as to create my own shortcuts, it annoys me so much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I've been looking at laptops as well. One thing that I want for my laptop is the ability to use a docking station when I'm back at the apartment. The smaller Dell XPSs don't have the port for this so it rules them out. I like the Lenovo T61 so far, but I'm going to wait a few more months until I actually purchase anything. These things are always getting cheaper with time!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Good points about purchasing at costco:
-Store selection is weak, but you can buy much more online (you can do build-your-own with dell, hp, etc.)
-online purchases can be returned to any store
-Good/great prices (almost NEVER more than it would cost elsewhere, frequently less)
-90 day returns without any restocking/other nonsense. And it is EASY to return. You will never have an easier time returning an item than at costco.
-They (costco) increase warranty length to 2 years for FREE.
-For service, you contact the costco folks, and if need be they will contact manufacturer. I am told this gets you GREAT service.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
i'm about to replace my dead laptop with an x61 from lenovo. they've got a super sale going on now, and i've got an employee discount to use on top of it. For about $980, I'm getting a very skinny little machine with more than enough power. huzzah!

I'm a little sad about the lack of internal optical, but I almost never use it anyway - just when loading new programs. I think I'll buy a cheap-ish external one and throw it in the closet, except when installing stuff.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Hey AAu, do you know when the sale ends? I want to get the same laptop, but have been waiting to see when I should get one. When did you (and others) get their laptops? Right before school started or a few months before?

The good thing about getting it now is that it's on sale, I have an employee's discount, and I get to familiarize myself with using it (and while I move out of my condo, I'll be out of the house a lot, so a laptop would keep me connected).

The down side is, between April and July, there may be a new model or a price drop or something else.. But is that "what if" worth waiting 3 more months?

I'm also traveling in May and June, so I could bring my laptop to China with me...

K
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Well, you DEFINITELY want to buy after you know what your school's requirements are. Some actually give you a particular machine, some are pretty specific, some just say X RAM and Y processor.

Also, you want to be sure you're kosher with the laptop allowance. Duke just throws $2500-ish into your COA and you get that amount no matter what or when you buy. Other schools might somehow be more persnickety (though I didn't hear that happening anywhere).

Otherwise, this seems like a good time to buy - there have been sales over the last few weeks. I did some minimal upgrades (doubled the RAM, got Windows XP instead of Vista Basic) and it came in at about $980. I was going to pay $1500 for the same thing last spring (and perhaps another upgrade - like the old version of the optical drive they had). This sale lasts till April 7.

You're right - who knows what else they'd come out with in the next few months. For example, Lenovo is coming out with a new line. The super-skinny one is supposed to be released sometime this month (pending FCC approval of some new technology they have in it) and it's RED! Bright RED! But I don't know anything else about it, and really can't wait. My friend needs back the old Dell loaner she gave me, so I gotta get my order in.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
cool, thanks for the info Aau! Yeah, I already know Haas' requirements, and will see what Kellogg's is. If they're similar or if both allow the Lenovo X61's, I'll probably get it before April 7th. Would be nice to have a small laptop while I'm in China so I don't have to look for internet cafes everywhere.

That sounds like a great deal! I think I priced mine at $1100 or something, without the sale (just the employee's discount).

The super thin one looks very nice, but I would have to carry an external HD with me (instead of the external Optical drive, which I use much less frequently), and it cost $1000 more! :shock:

Alright, time to browse the Lenovo Website again :P
SVP
SVP
Send PM
westsider wrote:
Things i look for are:
1) decent battery life ( I could survive a day on campus without needing a recharge. Apparently foster has only "spotty" plugs available in classrooms).
2) lightweight. Prefer < 4 lbs. I wil lgo as high as 4.5. I had laptops as an undergrad/grad student, and this is the threshold.
3) decent processor >= 1.8ghz and AT LEAST 1gb RAM (prefer 2-3gb). I know there are different views on this, but mine is pretty non-negotiable. As a computer engineering grad student I can be stubborn with minimum computer specs
4) 11-13 inch screen. Yup, those are the rules. until they come up with a 3lb 19" laptop =)
5) built in Cd/dvd drive
6) less than ~USD1,700

the one I just ordered (x61 from lenovo) offers all of these, except the built-in optical, for much less than $1700. A plus is that you can get it with XP. You'd probaby want to buy the extra-big battery - Fuqua is pretty solid on plug-ins, so I'm good with the basic addition. My x61 should be less than 3 lbs. processor is 2ghz. I paid $30 to get 2G RAM instead of 1. 12" screen.

With the current sale and the employee discount I had, I got it for about $1050, which included $63 in tax I had to pay.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Alright, time to browse the Lenovo Website again :P

Yikes! Ship date is April 10 - dagnabbit! Bought it anyway, but at this rate, I *MIGHT* have it in time for finals.....grrr....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media &amp; Entertainment
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yikes, that's a long time! good to know since I should order it early if I want to get it before I leave.

Just priced mine, $1288 (includes about $100 of 3 year depot warranty). Is the warranty necessary?

I selected the 2.2 GHz, Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 160 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, the intel ABGN wireless card, and 2 GB memory (1 DIMM). Will probably buy sometime in the near future.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
yikes, that's a long time! good to know since I should order it early if I want to get it before I leave.

Just priced mine, $1288 (includes about $100 of 3 year depot warranty). Is the warranty necessary?

I selected the 2.2 GHz, Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, 160 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, the intel ABGN wireless card, and 2 GB memory (1 DIMM). Will probably buy sometime in the near future.

I think it depends on what you are into. A tough computing day for me means that my calendar, word, excel, powerpoint, firefox and thunderbird are all open. I might throw in a video on you tube or solitaire if i'm really going crazy. My IBM engineer friend felt like the extra processor wasn't really much extra, especially given my usage patterns. Ditto for hard drive. I hesitated with getting the 2g ram 1 dimm or 2. Decided on 2 just because it's unlikely I'll ever upgrade anyway. He did say, though, that if you're working on Vista, you should get 4g ram for sure, more if you can. 2 would be barely ok.

For warranty, he said he'd consider 2 years, but probably not more, and that 5 was ridiculous. Consider how much support you'll get at school. I just didn't want to spend more money, I guess.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30