Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing & General Management
Schools:University of Michigan - Ross 2010
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink]
livehard wrote:
Got my interview invite this morning. Will interview with an Adcom in Los Angeles on April 1. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Finally, GMATClubbers open their account with MIT Sloan. Way to go livehard! Feel like playing the marching band for you.
:musband

Good luck for the interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Any other invite information? Seems very quiet!?
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Good luck livehard... you are a very strong candidate and MIT will see that!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
manylander wrote:
Good luck livehard... you are a very strong candidate and MIT will see that!

Thanks for the support! My confidence waivers as I read about all the other incredibly qualified and talented applicants.

Regardless, I would absolutely love to attend Ross (and have been extremely impressed with the quality of students), so the pressure is off a bit for my Sloan interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
R2

1)dextrous - submitted
2)manylander - submitted
3)jsingh - submitted
4)nick_sun - submitted
5)bkk145 - submitted
6)Columbia08 - submitted
7)swedenr09 - submitted
8)redhead - submitted
9)tsaditya - submitted
10)nyrberg - submitted
11)dox - submitted
12)parsifal - submitted
13) senseshnal - submitted
14) TJ - submitted
15) Longatum - submitted
16) Evl - submitted

BEP/LFM

01)clarksdv2 - Admit
02)JP85837 - Admit

And this is how R1 turned out:

01)jpjazzman - Admit
02)Kwam - Admit
03)terry12 - Admit
04)wisepig - Admit
05)Steel - Admit
06)jc2010 - Admit
07)djdan - Admit
08) nontraditional - Admit

08)collegesenior - Waitlist
09)dabots - Waitlist
10)Cooldar - Waitlist
11)CookieMonster - Waitlist
12)saurabh357 - Waitlist w/o Interview

13)BCC145 - Ding w/Interview

14)nnabros - Interviewed
15)ncprasad - Ding
16)riverripper - Ding
17)aurobindo - Submitted
18)deepuaries - Submitted
19)Toploader - Submitted
20)sangoman - Submitted
21)Vij101- Submitted
22)trojan812 - Ding
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Added myself

R2

1)dextrous - submitted
2)manylander - submitted
3)jsingh - submitted
4)nick_sun - submitted
5)bkk145 - submitted
6)Columbia08 - submitted
7)swedenr09 - submitted
8)redhead - submitted
9)tsaditya - submitted
10)nyrberg - submitted
11)dox - submitted
12)parsifal - submitted
13) senseshnal - submitted
14) TJ - submitted
15) Longatum - submitted
16) Evl - submitted
17) livehard - interview

BEP/LFM

01)clarksdv2 - Admit
02)JP85837 - Admit

And this is how R1 turned out:

01)jpjazzman - Admit
02)Kwam - Admit
03)terry12 - Admit
04)wisepig - Admit
05)Steel - Admit
06)jc2010 - Admit
07)djdan - Admit
08) nontraditional - Admit

08)collegesenior - Waitlist
09)dabots - Waitlist
10)Cooldar - Waitlist
11)CookieMonster - Waitlist
12)saurabh357 - Waitlist w/o Interview

13)BCC145 - Ding w/Interview

14)nnabros - Interviewed
15)ncprasad - Ding
16)riverripper - Ding
17)aurobindo - Submitted
18)deepuaries - Submitted
19)Toploader - Submitted
20)sangoman - Submitted
21)Vij101- Submitted
22)trojan812 - Ding
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Still nothing from MIT. R2 at Sloan was supposed to be better than it is at most of the other programs. At least that is the vibe I got from the adcom when I asked about the "two round only" approach and its ramifications...

Thankfully I am in at Michigan and this wait is no longer a dreadful one, but still, MIT always has been my "crush". Living in the U.S. and picking Cambridge as my #1 interview location, I can almost certainly say that I am out... MIT earned it's namesake for me by "crushing" my hopes...

Good luck to everyone else. It is a great school to be associated with....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
manylander wrote:
Still nothing from MIT. R2 at Sloan was supposed to be better than it is at most of the other programs. At least that is the vibe I got from the adcom when I asked about the "two round only" approach and its ramifications...

Just wanted to (attempt to) clarify, Manylander. I think that Sloan R2 is actually one of the more challenging round 2's around. They usually admit half their class from each round, but a higher number of applicants apply in R2. Here's a quote from a chat on accepted.com:

"...we admit half of the class in each round. Our incoming MBA Class is about 325 students and we do give away half the slots in each round. That said, typically we get fewer applicants in round 1, than in round 2, making the round 1 acceptance rate higher than r2. BUT, it's important to remember that a strong applicant will succeed in either round. Historically the acceptance rate for R1 is about 20% and the acceptance rate for R2 is about 14%."
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Terry12,

I see your point, and actually 20% vs 14% is not such a bad ratio. My point is that "giving away half the slots" to R1 and R2 alike makes R2 at MIT more adventageous than at many other programs where a R3 exists. There are more applicants for R2 universally.
This is not a Sloan thing. However, most other schools (w/R3 available) have less than 50% allocated to R2. Under that light ,I was led to believe that it was not "too terrible" to apply for R2.

Looking at the numbers just here and excluding LFMs, R1 success rate was 38%. Let's multiply this by 14/20, we get 26.5% for R2 expected rate. Out of 17 R2 applicants we have ONLY ONE interview invite reported!!! I know there is time left but the going is tough so far.

Assuming (and hoping) that one applicant gets in, we are still looking at 1/17 = 5.9% so far. GMATClub is a more successful pool of applicants accross the board, assuming everyone reported their intervierws. Using the previous round as a (simple yet effective) base for comparison, R2 chances look to befar worse than the 14% vs 20% implied by Sloan...

Just observing...(and maybe a little venting :) )
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
For those who will interview for Sloan, I'm going to tell my story here, and then some of you will understand why I didn't think I'd get into MIT:

*********************************************************************************************************************
After the interview I had, I was so ashamed to tell the way some things went, but now it seems I can
tell after all...

I was in a friend's house, and he told me that the place for the interview was around 5 min by cab from his house, so I woke up 2 hours before, to read my essays and prepare myself.

The fight

*Round 1: *
I was shaving, then I cut myself, it was 40 minutes before the interview, and my neck just didn't stop bleeding, then I thought: "ok man I still have 20 minutes", but perhaps that my heart started to pump even harder, and the bleeding could just not stop, then, using all methods I know and I could find at my friend's house, I decided 10 minutes before the scheduled time that I should go anyway, with a paper tissue with me to stop the f%&# bleeding. I went to my interview I just could not find a taxi free, I started panicking, REAL PANIC! Then I saw one taxi going to the "wrong" direction, and I decided to take it anyway. I got to the place around 3 minutes late - I know is not that bad, but anyway it's bad - and I put the paper tissue in my neck and saw that at least the bleeding stopped.

*Round 2: *
The interview, it's stated here:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t5053 ... &start=340

One thing I didn't mentioned, at the end of the interview I wanted to ask a last question regarding the MS option, but when I was about to ask my brain went blank, I just forgot what I was asking :(. Then I said:
I'm sorry, but I forgot, my mind went blank (is this the right word?). Then she started to tell me how procedures were then I remembered the question, and asked anyway... I was screwed anyway...

*Round 3 - The knockout: *
After everything, my interviewer said: !Ok now I need your official transcripts!" I thought: HECK, with this bloody cut I forgot that, and said: "I don't have it with me right now, is it ok if I send later?" and thought - I'm the world greatest MORON EVER! and thought, ok, it's done I have no chance at all...

But the next day I sent it by FedEX, I know it got there in 2 days, and sent a very warm thank you letter, I think it worked out, after all...
*********************************************************************************************************************

I don't wish that for anybody, just trying to say: relax and be natural. I know it's easier to say than do, but you read my story :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
Following kwam's example, thought I'd provide some encouragement to anyone awaiting an interview. I didn't cut myself shaving ( :-D ), and I did bring my transcripts... but it still wasn't a fun experience.

The interview's detailed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/p410250#p410250

I don't think I adequately captured how poorly I did in that interview. It went badly. REALLY badly... the med-school interview I had with a psychiatrist (don't ask) was only marginally worse. To top things off, I left the interview in a kind of daze and walked outside to clear my head before lunch. Walking down Memorial Drive, I realized I hadn't gotten the interviewer's card or email (imagined she didn't want to give one to me). No one was at the reception desk when I returned, so I couldn't get it then either. I gave up at that point, figuring there was no way I was getting in anyway. So, I never wrote a thank-you note or any other follow-up. I was floored when I got in.

Anyway, just a cautionary tale... don't stress too much. As kwam and I proved, you can kinda screw up the interview and still come out OK :)
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kwam & Terry12, thanx for the insights...

So far only one R2 applicant can make use of them... Bizarre...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
how are ppl in the other forums doing?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well my interview is on Monday guys. Wish more of you were joining me ... feels a bit lonely. Plus I'm a bit nervous about my first non-blind interview (though it is my 6th overall). I'll let you all know how it goes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Good luck, livehard.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks clarksdv2. Congrats on your admit, I'd love to join you!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
You already accomplished the difficult part at MIT: getting the interview. You are practically IN. Just know your essays inside and out and have experiences for the standard questions outside of what you wrote in your app. You should be fine. Good luck!

livehard wrote:
Well my interview is on Monday guys. Wish more of you were joining me ... feels a bit lonely. Plus I'm a bit nervous about my first non-blind interview (though it is my 6th overall). I'll let you all know how it goes.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31