Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [6]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Re: The 2008 ZERO admits club [#permalink]
I feel your pain sango - that is an incredible GMAT score - you sure you don't wanna reapp next year ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
I am still trying to figure out by getting experts on the forum to review my essays.

I am no expert .. not even close. But I sincerely want you to turn one of your WL into admit. Failing that, have tremendous success next year. So, if you think that my review may help you even a bit, then send me your essays. I'll try to do my best reviewing them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Bro

This is a depressing thread. But I feel compelled to add my name to the list.

GMAT Score : 710
Work Experience : 6+ years
#Applications : 3
#Dings : 3
#Interviews : 1

Which ding hurt the most and why ?
Chicago because it was my best application, I got the interview, I thought I had a chance.
What next ?
Preparing for the next application season
Why the lack of success?
Poor essays for the first 2 schools. For the last school, I've no idea. Low GMAT :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
3 member all 700+ scores, goes to show how competitive life is when it comes to b-school admits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Sorry to hear guys, but don't lose hope! Cliché aside, life works in mysterious ways and the next opportunity is always around the corner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT Score : 770
Work Exp: 4 years
Applications: 9
Interviews: 6
Waitlist : 1

The DING by Michigan and Darden hurt the most. Not getting even an interview for Darden was depressing.

I think my story is quite similar to Sangoman. IT Engineer, Indian.

What Next?

I need to get out of the current rut I am in. I really see no point in continuing in IT as it only worsens my profile. Going to diversify my apps next year - MBAs in USA, Canada and Europe. Going to be practical and go for the MBA that gives the best shot of landing the job I want. Though i really want to be in a US 2 year MBA which really gives me the opportunity to be involved in out of class activities as well.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for sharing tsaditya - the what next part is perhaps the most difficult part for all of us.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
I'm sorry, guys.. bsd & adc.. you guys should have gotten in :(

if you need my help, please let me know.. my wish is that the people in this thread will be in the 2009 Clean Sweep Club!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [2]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
Hey - ok, I'll join this club. However, I'll be honest I don't think I put in the effort I should have put in in the apps

GMAT Score : 760
Work Experience : 8+ years
#Applications : 2
#Dings : 2
#Interviews : 0
#WL : 0
Chicago hurt because I did not get an interview even. But looking back - I should have put more effort into my application. I did not even visit the school even though I live in Michigan and abt an hour's flight away. The app was done almost in a whim and started a month before deadline. Thanks to BCC145 who reviewed my essays to Chicago, they were at least presentable before being submitted. I should have expected the ding.

What next ?
I am still evaluating if it makes more sense for me to go Part time, since that was what I was planning on doing initially - but am very much tempted to go full time now. So I might end up applying in R1 for next year to a few more schools and seeing how it goes. Hopefully, the US green card thing will work in the next year too, which may make next year more practical for me. I am on my 7th year of H1 now, so will have problems working in the US after my studies if I do that without my green card - and that will be difficult for me because my husband and I haven't planned on moving back to India right away.

Why the lack of success?
I think I know. A few of different things - age (I'm 31 now), the WE for my age (not spectacular), not enough research on the schools (no visits etc, only talked to a couple of people) and definitely not casting my net wide enough - however I wanted to apply to the schools I knew I would go full time to without hesitation, giving up a decent pay and inspite of the visa issues and that is why I applied only to 2 schools.

Originally posted by mbagal1 on 04 Apr 2008, 04:14.
Last edited by mbagal1 on 04 Apr 2008, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Hey guys.. its tough out there... but you don`t have to go to the USA for an MBA if your goal doesn`t need you to.
It gives you a lot more options when you apply. I applied to USA schools and schools in Europe and Asia, my focus/goal doesn`t require me to work in the USA afterwards (although i would have liked to have that exposure), but i still feel i can achieve my goals without being based in the USA, and still get USA exposure via student exchange.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Sorry to hear about dings bsd, adcxway, tsaditya . Hopefully your one of your WL's will turn into admit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
This is a tough thread... I am going to be applying in 2009 and seeing people with such stellar profiles getting dinged at all the schools I want to apply to just goes to show how tough it is out there.

Best of luck to each and every one of you. Put your time into improving your portfolio and work on doing something non-traditional..

I hope to see you all in the 2009 threads next year with admits!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I see one commonality among many of you: age. 3 years ago, b-schools were telling people to get experience, now anyone with 5+ years is at a disadvantage. Trust me, I know :(

Originally posted by elhajoui on 04 Apr 2008, 06:38.
Last edited by elhajoui on 06 Apr 2008, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
To add to the list:

GMAT Score : 750
Work Experience : 3 years
#Applications : 3
#Dings : 2
#Interviews : 1
#WL : 1
Chicago. I loved the school and all the people I met and I thought my interviews and essays were really good.
What next ?
Writing letters of intent to Chicago and preparing for next years application rounds.
Why the lack of success?
S/W - I think I could've work harder on those applications. Applied in a hurry and didn't put too much effort. Originally, I had planned to apply to Chicago R1 also but hadn't done anything for Essay 3 (ppt) till 2 days before the deadline and decided to give myself more time. Over the next 2 months, I thought I had improved my app drastically and would've loved to send those essays to S/W, but apparently even those essays weren't good enough.
I'm in all the competitive pools so I need an absolutely stellar app - Indian/engineer/FS-Tech.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT: 730
Work Experience: 7 years (Indian Male, IT)
Applications: 4
Interviews: 3
Dings: 4

I seriously have no idea about why i got dinged. I can sort of make my peace with my Ross and Kellogg ding saying that the essays could have been much better. But i thought my Chicago and Wharton applications were very good.

What Next?
I am yet to come out of this rut. But i have started planning a bit. I am probably going to change jobs and try to get into a big brand name company, do some community work and reapply ED/ R1 later this year.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I'm usually the first to say it -- stats don't get you into a school -- but I'm nonetheless struck by the notable years of experience and GMAT scores here. Just a week ago, someone sent me their application essays for Chicago and I truly thought they were excellent. I nitpicked a little, but they hit on everything clearly -- short term, long term, clear why, clear passion, academic goals, non academic interests, clearly stating why now, demonstrated an understanding of the schools strengths, evidence of substantial and notable effort to research, etc etc etc.

I really hope you all stick around -- Helg is the perfect example of reapplication success. Stick with it -- next year you'll have people pulling for you at many different schools around the world.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Yeah, guys, don't give up! I've been in your shoes last year (4 applications, 2 WL turned dings, 2 dings after interview). It was painful and I feel your pain now.

I know, my essays were really not great last year, so I put additional effort into my re-application essays. At least none of you have to retake GMAT, right (adcxaway, I do not think 710 is low, not really)? Look at the bright side of it!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5