Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Writing! Writing! Anyone please share your AWA experience! [#permalink]
Tks you guys.. Just because I did AWA in GRE so bad so this time I can not feel confident :(

I have the GRE-GMAT writing book too, its badly scanned, I am lazy too :P

Do you know any good templates for AWA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
well i have princeton verbal book which has good templates.Moreover 800score.com awa also has templates which can be found on esnips i guess.That would be sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Send PM
yah i have the 800score.com awa template as well, if u want u can PM me i'll send to u
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7304 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
AlbertNTN wrote:
yah i have the 800score.com awa template as well, if u want u can PM me i'll send to u

Why not post it here? Others need it too..... :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
i scored a 6.0 on AWA. here are my notes for analysis of an issue:

essay 1: analysis of an issue
1). PRE-WRITING: dismantle the the issue - what is the basic issue framed as a question?

2). PROS AND CONS: think of pro arguments and con arguments that answer the question. pick a side based on which you can more adequately defend.

3). CLARIFICATION: identify any phrases in the "analysis of an issue" information given that may need interpretation. expand on these (if applicable) in your essay.

4). WRITING THE ESSAY: the essay should be organized as follows -
i.) INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH - explain argument and introduce pros or cons
ii). ARGUMENT 1 - for or against
iii). ARGUMENT 2 - for or against
iv). ARGUMENT 3- for or against
v). COUNTER-ARGUMENT - i.e., "some might argue that something else is true, however..."
vi). CLEAR CONCLUSION - conclude your argument and be clear about what you've argued.

5). RHETORICAL QUESTION: include a rhetorical question in both AWA essays - i.e., "What does the author mean by patriotic expression?"
Intern
Intern
Send PM
here are my notes for analysis of an argument:

essay 2: analysis of an argument
1). PRE-WRITING: identify the conclusion, evidence, and assumptions contained within the argument.

2). VALIDITY: identify under what circumstance the assumptions are valid or invalid.

3). MISSING INFORMATION: is there anything you deem relevant to the argument that is not discussed?

4). WRITING THE ESSAY: the essay should be organized as follows -
i.) INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH - state the arguments assumptions. i.e., "the writer concludes that..." identify three problems with the argument that will correspond to three paragraphs in your essay. remember that any undefined or vague terms need to be addressed in your essay.
ii). ASSUMPTION PROBLEM 1
iii). ASSUMPTION PROBLEM 2
iv). ASSUMPTION PROBLEM 3
v). CONCLUSION (HOW THE ARGUMENT COULD BE IMPROVED): demonstrate how additional information you have suggested in the 3 body paragraphs of your essay would be useful in strengthening the author's argument.

5). RHETORICAL QUESTION: include a rhetorical question in both AWA essays - i.e., "What does the author mean by patriotic expression?"

hope this helps and good luck to everyone!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
also, for what it's worth, i didn't study for AWA in any way.

i wrote the notes that i have typed here on a small index card and glanced at it a few times in the car on my way to the exam. the notes are from a Kaplan class.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
notahug wrote:
Any one has any experience about AWA:
- Your practicing AWA prior the test:
+ Did you do any of those examples topics in OG11?
+ How do you know that your writing is improved after practicing?
- Your AWA during the test.
+ Your time management
+ Any other valuabe experience during the writing time would be highly appreciated...

Pls help and share your opinions! Tks folks :*

I scored a 5.0. I was expecting a 2.0. I practiced once during my prep only because I wanted to get used to building up stamina for taking the entire exam. That is the only reason. I never looked at any of the AWA in the OG. I never practiced from the OG. Here's the only template you need, for both essays:

paragraph #1 your opinion
paragraph #2 first reason for your opinion
paragraph #3 second reason for your opinion
paragraph #4 third reason for your opinion
paragraph #5 restate your opinion & your reasons

Write furiously, write as much as you can, and write quickly. You're not writing for quality, you're writing for quantity. I finished my awa in about 35 minutes which gave me some time to sit in front of my comp to relax.

Also, stop worrying about the awa, you do not need to prepare, it really doesn't matter what you score, instead concentrate on the more important verbal and quant.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nothing more to say...Thanks you guys so much.. :kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss :thanks
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Definitely develop a quick outline to get your ideas sorted out before you begin to write. Make sure to provide enough evidence for your statements, and do a grammatical and spell check before submitting. Princeton Review also will grade your practice essays if you pay a lovely $19.95 :-).

julia
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Okay guys, i will post here, hopefully no issue with copyright =))
Attachments

File comment: as requested
2004_800scoreAWAGuide.pdf [325.91 KiB]
Downloaded 369 times

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I took the PR class any the teacher told us that "he has heard" of people using this template and writing complete garbage sentences in the middle of the paragraph and still getting 6s - I got a 5.5 and all I did was dumb it down. PR teaches good GMAT writing is NOT good writing.

"First trick" write a lot.

"Second trick" Always disagree with the essay

"third trick" use transitional words that show a person who is skimming this essay you have structure.

This is my Sample.

I disagree with the authors claim that....blah blah (semi restatement). Filler sentence. Thesis (I normally use three parts ex. The major emphasis of any gmat study should be on verbal, quant, and awa)

-Now use your three parts for each paragraph.

The FIRST POINT, blah blah blah. Support sentences. Support sentences. Finish Paragraph off.

ANOTHER Point, (same)

Finally, (same)

IN CONCLUSION (if you always end this way you'll get your points) restatement of argument. Final sentence.

--Ok so if you write anything that looks like that you will hate yourself because it is sooo pitiful but it truly works, people are reading your essay for about 1 min. If you write a lot they basically skim it, look for buzz words and structure. Like I mentioned before our teacher told us they would put stuff like I really enjoy spending time with cats and dogs. Or As soon as I get done writing this essay it's on to the math, then verbal, and finally I'll get to go home.

I definitely don't suggest writing in the garbage sentences but if you write a lot and have 3 paragraphs plus an introduction and a conclusion you are basically guaranteed a 5 with no prep at all.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
AlbertNTN, thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AlbertNTN wrote:
Okay guys, i will post here, hopefully no issue with copyright =))

Tks so much Albert...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lsuguy7 wrote:
I took the PR class any the teacher told us that "he has heard" of people using this template and writing complete garbage sentences in the middle of the paragraph and still getting 6s - I got a 5.5 and all I did was dumb it down. PR teaches good GMAT writing is NOT good writing.

"First trick" write a lot.

"Second trick" Always disagree with the essay

"third trick" use transitional words that show a person who is skimming this essay you have structure.

This is my Sample.

I disagree with the authors claim that....blah blah (semi restatement). Filler sentence. Thesis (I normally use three parts ex. The major emphasis of any gmat study should be on verbal, quant, and awa)

-Now use your three parts for each paragraph.

The FIRST POINT, blah blah blah. Support sentences. Support sentences. Finish Paragraph off.

ANOTHER Point, (same)

Finally, (same)

IN CONCLUSION (if you always end this way you'll get your points) restatement of argument. Final sentence.

--Ok so if you write anything that looks like that you will hate yourself because it is sooo pitiful but it truly works, people are reading your essay for about 1 min. If you write a lot they basically skim it, look for buzz words and structure. Like I mentioned before our teacher told us they would put stuff like I really enjoy spending time with cats and dogs. Or As soon as I get done writing this essay it's on to the math, then verbal, and finally I'll get to go home.

I definitely don't suggest writing in the garbage sentences but if you write a lot and have 3 paragraphs plus an introduction and a conclusion you are basically guaranteed a 5 with no prep at all.

Yes I have heard about writing alot, too. TKs for sharing
I have trouble with argument essays. What is your experience dealing with it? Should we always confute the argument?

..Now I should spend time reading the attachment that Albert sent to us..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Yes, you should always find weak points in the argument, at least 3 of them

The issue essay should have at least two points in support of pros (or cons) and 1 in support of the opposing view.

All essays are presented as debatable, so you can refute them and show how can they be improved. Well, at least that worked for me (6.0)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Quick Question??

If v finish AWA is 35mins, will we be able to take a 25min break. I was under the impression that v get 2 breaks, one before quant and one before verbal and that too 10min fixed optional break.

?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts