Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
Re: In stating the arugment that the President does not care [#permalink]
I think it is C.

When you say something others infer and you imply. I may be wrong. Please suggest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sorry guys i just changed answer choice E. It should have originally read "implied" not inferred.

My apologies for the confusion caused. I reverified that all other choices have the right verbage (implied Vs infered)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The OA is "E" [please note that in my original post i changed "E" from "inferred" to "implied".

Implied should be used because you dont "infer" from your own argument [you infer from someone else's arguement].

This narrows down the choice between "C" and "E".

My question:

1) Answer Choice C uses the pronoun "them"; Answer Choice E uses "it".

How do we know what the antecedent. For example: it could be either be "plight" or be "poor". If the antecedent were "plight" i'd use "it". If the antecedent were "poor" i'd use "them".

But the OA is E. In my opinion both "about the plight" and "of the poor" can be used as a prepositional phrase in which case the "noun" of the other phrase becomes the antecedent. I'm just totally stumped........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
aftr a long battle I go with E...

reasonz: one , one says and ''implies'' whereas others ''infer'' from what one says....

two the thing we are supposed view as the subject here is ''THE PLIGHT'' n not the ''POOR''

there is not much confusiuon here ( U don have to confud) if U know that the ''aspect''' being talked here is ''the plight'' of the poor and not the ''poor'' themselves...

yes this is a tricky 'stunt'but I guess if we re -read and eliminate on the basis of ''infer''and ''Imply' we have better luck of beating this.

hope that helps...

have fun :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
"there is not much confusiuon here ( U don have to confud) if U know that the ''aspect''' being talked here is ''the plight'' of the poor and not the ''poor'' themselves..."

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "aspect being talked here". I'm not sure that i understand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Send PM
E

?it? refers to ?the plight? and ?implied? in much better than ?inferred?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
I think the subject is neither plicht, not poor, but 'plight of the poor'.

Can I be right???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
E it is

first off inferred doesnt make sense so it has to be either C or E
Since the sentence refers to the plight of the poor , the sentence should refer to it as "it" and not them "them"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
smandalika wrote:
E it is

first off inferred doesnt make sense so it has to be either C or E
Since the sentence refers to the plight of the poor , the sentence should refer to it as "it" and not them "them"

I agree with the "implied" part,but not with the sentence using "it".

The repuplicans are not concerned about the "poor". That is what the sentence is trying to say.

Let us compare the following two sentences.

a prominent Democrat implied that Republicans have never been concerned about [the poor].
a prominent Democrat implied that Republicans have never been concerned about [the plight of the poor].

Going by the word "implies", I feel C is right.

Just FYI
plight :
a condition or state of affairs; esp., now, an awkward, sad, or dangerous situation
—SYN PREDICAMENT,impasse, dilemma, situation, tight situation;
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Hi...

gmatquaguy...

what I meant by the ''aspect'' here is the subject or the main concern of the line....

abisurd sounds a little better than i .. when he says the subject here is neither the ''plight'' nor the ''poor'' but rather ''the plight of the poor'' :) but I wish to opine that ''pight'' itself means or again implies that IT -the plight , is of the poor and of no one else ...

however ... I would like to ''IMPLY'' here that subject is plight( of the poor ) and that is the only way we get to have the right pronoun referent... and U people can certainly ''infer'' from what I said ...

ash, I believe the second ex: that u gave is equally fine..do I need some correctin ?let me know...

hope that helps!

Have fun :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enigmatic007 wrote:
Hi...

ash, I believe the second ex: that u gave is equally fine..do I need some correctin ?let me know...

So we are battling between E and C ;)

Here are the two complete sentences.

C. In stating the arugment that the President does not care about the plight of the poor, a prominent Democrat implied that Republicans have never been concerned about [the poor]/[them].

E. In stating the arugment that the President does not care about the plight of the poor, a prominent Democrat implied that Republicans have never been concerned about [the plight of the poor]/[it].

Now maybe I am thinking too much,but I am just trying to argue to add a point in favor of C.

If we go with E :
>

My opinion here is that there is no implication at all if the second part of the sentence addresses "plight of the poor" again.

But if the "poor" is addressed in the second part of the sentence, there is an implication made.

Let me know what you think of this.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts