Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Kellogg School of Management [#permalink]
The vast majority of students live in downtown Evanston, within walking distance. Originally my wife and I were planning on living closer to chicago and split the commute but after DAK we realized that everyone living in Evanston is one of the greatest things about the school. Everyone talks about how it really adds to the closeness of the community, when you leave your apartment to do just about anything you are going to run into classmates...whether its going to the gym, shopping for groceries, or heading out to a bar to hang out with friends...there will be other students there.

You can ride the normal train and the commuter rail, everyone says the commuter train is much faster and the way to go if you are heading downtown. My wife will most likely end up working downtown and it seems very common for significant others to commute into the city and it is a pretty easy ride. The condo we are renting is only a few blocks from the train station, so my wife will have a five minute walk to the train and I will have a ten minute walk to campus...everything else like whole foods, the gym, and all the downtown spots are all within 5 to 10 minutes walk of many of the apartments.

I think most people can find their niche at any school the apply to. Out of 500+ classmates you will find plenty of people who you share a lot in common with. I personally didnt sit in on Kellogg classes or anything but still feel my why Kellogg essays were convincing (obviously they worked well enough to get me in). If you can visit during a normal class period then thats an advantage and can really tell about fit. Even then dont put too much into one class visit. I know my GSB visit the class I sat in on was miserable, students werent very engaged and most seemed lost, but that is going to be unusual and will happen at every school on occasion. The big thing is meeting people and see personalities. I must say during some visits at schools, students interacted but if you look you can spot differences.

Find out how different groups interact, what the overall feel is, when you meet students get a sense of not their hyping their school but how they really appear to be enjoying there time. Find out what students dislike about schools. I heard at some that students segregate themselves into their own demographics, some students complained about social life or lack there of, and others complained about silly things like terrible food at the school. Seeing what people dislike is often more enlightening than learning what they like.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Hey River, I'm going to be in Chicago in June for a conference and was wondering if you or any other students you know might meet me for a cup of coffee to talk about Kellogg? I plan on visiting again in the Fall, but I want to try and learn as much as I can now in order to start my essays as soon as possible. Even if you might be available to email back and forth, it would be a tremendous help. Also, one quick question, how did you do plan to do an internship with your wife in Evanston? Do you plan to stay in Chicago so you won't have to leave your wife for 10 weeks? I'm in a similar situation and I wanted to get someone else's perspective.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Long Post Warning:
Unfortunately classes end in the very beginning of June at Kellogg. They do have tours, available through the month so if you have the time it would be worth the trip to spend a day in Evanston and to check out the school. The students I have talked are either graduating or I believe leaving for internships. Not sure when you will be out there I could see if any are still kicking around but I would bet a lot will go on a vacation between the end of classes and the start of internships or graduation. There will be people staying in Chicago living in Evanston so just look for the people wearing Kellogg logo gear haha.

My advice for meeting up with students is to find clubs you are interested in and contact those folks. The people you share interests with are probably going to give you the best idea about the school for you individually. I think they tend to be very enthusiastic with helping and you can get beyond the how “do you like school XXX” generic stuff if they have similar interests. You will find a lot of folks are very helpful but its still stressful trying to find the right connections…I look at it as good practice for recruiting and networking next year.

Personally I think its good to have an idea for essays but don’t kill yourself with them yet. You are way ahead of the curve, I think you will be better off by spending a lot of time finding the right schools to apply too. Personally, I think I rushed my decision for schools. I knew Kellogg and MIT my #1 and #2 after I decided to go for top schools but then my 3-6 were fluid and changed a lot, I wasn’t even sure where my R2 apps would be (thankfully I got into K very early). I actually finished my Tuck application but a week before dropped that, I sent my GMAT to NYU but in the end wasn’t even going to apply there in R2 anymore…I didn’t send my GMAT to Chicago with my free 5 but ended up applying there in R1 after drinking some koolaide provided by Rhyme. I think I focused too much early on learning a lot about my top few schools and not enough figuring out where I would apply beyond my #1 and #2.

I would say for your essays the most important things to do now are to focus on career goals and your experiences. Career goals are huge, these should be extremely well thought out and don’t underestimate the importance of researching these. I think showing detailed knowledge of both the career and industry can really set you apart. Your experiences are key too, you really need to have a solid list of ideas to work with and start developing them into coherent stories.

Remember every one can write a dozen glowing specifics things about why the school is wonderful but its more important to say whats unique to that school that makes it right for you as a person and for your career goals. Most applications focus on you not your knowledge and research of the school, you can easily insert that stuff as you learn more about them. Essays can be a never ending edit, you can improve details about the program and how it fits you until the second you send them. However, you don’t want to be changing the details about who you are, what you have done, and what you want to do.

As for your Internship question…Since I have pretty specific goals I already know what employers I am hoping to pursue…remember career goals may change once I get to school and see what interests me most but right now I am pretty solid on my goals. My top choice for companies actually is HQed in Chicago (and is the largest in my desired area) but the other options are all over ( Maryland , North Caroline, Pittsburgh …pretty much all over the map). It would be great to get my top choice and just be able to commute from Evanston but we are ready to deal with it if I get a better opportunity outside of Chicago .

Where ever I end up, its not a big deal, remember its only for 2 or 3 months, flights in and out of Chicago are cheap…since my wife will be working FT and we signed a lease she is going to be sticking around Evanston no matter what. If I end up else where, we will probably just fly back and forth every few weekends, taking turns on travel...if work commitments give enough time for that. Don’t let three months away from your significant other keep you from going for a dream job, she will understand…if she doesn’t work bring her along if she does have a FT job, there are enough significant others that kick around in Evanston while the students leave that she will have plenty of friends around.

This fall when you visit make sure you drop a line about it. I am sure myself or another gmatclub member will be able to show you around and introduce you to people. Definitely bring your significant other, I can introduce her to my wife and some other significant others so she can get a good feel for the school…that is one thing I didn’t do during my hunt really. My wife was just looking at locations of schools not her fit into them. Thankfully Mrs. RiverRipper loved DAK, heck I think she is more excited about school than me at these days.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH RIVER!!!! That is all wonderful advice and if you are a representative of the kind of people at Kellogg, then I'm looking forward to learning more about the school. I think your plan for your internship is pretty solid and I will keep that in mind when I cross that bridge. Well, back to studying, 3.5 weeks left till the GMAT. Working for 700+ and I'm really close.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Just wanted to say 'hi' in this topic, as I am currently a first-year student at Kellogg (class of '09), and am happy to answer any questions people might have about Kellogg.

I'm almost done with my first year, which was a whirlwind and an awful lot of fun. Now that I'm done with recruiting, the last weeks of spring quarter are a bit more relaxed before the summer internship starts, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to 'spread the love', answer questions, and give back to the GMATClub community.

Riverripper: thanks for initiating this topic, many congrats on your Kellogg admit, and I hope to see you on campus in the fall!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
larzke, copying this from where you posted it. If you dont mind do you want to give us a little info about yourself. What are you majoring in, what are you hoping to do post grad...and anything else you would want to share.

larzke wrote:
As a current student at Kellogg, I'd like to offer some inside (and, inevitably, biased) insights on our supposed weakness in finance, relative to schools like Wharton, Columbia and Chicago GSB.

We're obviously proud of our top reputation in marketing, but we're also a bit tired of the notion that if you want to do finance, you're better off going somewhere else. In fact, many here argue that our strength in finance is a well-kept secret in the MBA world.

On the academic side, Kellogg professors won one of the highest number of prizes (compared to other schools) for their articles in the Journal of Finance, one of the most prestigious finance publications. Robert McDonald's book on Derivatives Markets is considered the industry standard and is used in top business schools around the world. Other faculty includes people who have run PE / VC funds, or have held senior positions at bulge bracket firms. No weakness there.

On the recruiting side, Wall Street is incredibly receptive of Kellogg students, partly because we have a reputation for working well in teams, which, let's face it, is not what the average banker is known for. The feedback we get from Wall Street recruiters is that they'd love more Kellogg students, but since so few are interested in that career field, recruiting them is difficult. The students that do pursue a banking career (not me by the way), and in fact many of my first-year friends, are going to all the right places on Wall Street and in London.

The finance caliber of our students is nothing to be ashamed of -- we do remarkably well in b-school finance competitions. Kellogg placed first in the 2008 Wharton MBA Buyout Case Competition, ahead of Wharton, HBS and Chicago GSB. Months ago we placed second in the Cornell MBA Stock Pitch Competition, ahead of Wharton, Columbia, and Chicago GSB. Last year we placed first in that same competition. In 2007 we won the Evergreen Investments Alpha Challenge, beating LBS, Chicago GSB, Columbia and others. Kellogg and Chicago GSB compete every year in the JPMorgan M&A Challenge, and Kellogg has won six of the past nine years. I cannot find weakness there.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm sure other schools can also drum up lists of impressive accomplishments and credentials, and I'm not trying to prove that we're better in any way. I just think it's hard to justify the claim that our finance program is 'weaker'. I would argue that we're right there at the top, it's just that that's not what we're known for.

Which leads me to the actual recruiting process. Anyone who has gone through recruiting at a top business school knows the mixed blessing of recruiting events. Yes, you get the opportunity to network to try and secure an interview, but so do your classmates. Students always ask recruiters how to maximize their chances of getting an interview, and the answer, invariably, is "be memorable". And that's where Kellogg starts to be a pleasant place. It's easier to be "memorable" among 50 students (which is roughly how many people recruit for banking at Kellogg), than it is among 150-200 students, which is closer to the number at the traditional finance schools. One of our finance professors, David Stowell, puts it like this: would you rather be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond?

This phenomenon is arguably even more profound in the actual interviewing process. Since banks can usually hire less people than they consider 'hireable', you have to outperform your peers if you want to land that job at Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley. At Kellogg you're competing against mostly career switchers with limited finance experience (banks love career switchers by the way), whereas at the more traditional finance schools you'll find more people with prior banking experience or who live and breathe to become a banker. Who would you rather compete with?

Then you have the effect of competition between schools for spots at the big banks. Sure, the traditional finance schools will fill plenty of spots every year, but banks want diversity in their teams and if they can hire one more person, it can be beneficial to be the potential second Kellogg hire as opposed to being the potential tenth hire from Columbia, Wharton, etc.

Again, I'm not arguing that these schools don't deserve their stellar finance reputations, and if you want to work on Wall Street there's no doubt that those schools are very safe choices. But, I do think that Kellogg sometimes gets dismissed way too easily as 'not a finance school'.

Note that, by the same logic, you could argue that if it's good to be the 'underdog banker' at Kellogg, it would be equally beneficial to be the 'underdog marketer' at for example Wharton -- and I would say that's true. I'm sure that Wharton is an excellent place to do marketing, and that your chances of landing a good marketing job are just as good at Wharton as they are at Kellogg. I would argue that there is very little difference between the top schools in this regard. Don't dismiss Wharton if you want to do marketing, and don't dismiss Kellogg if you want to do finance.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two cents. As you can probably tell I'm very excited about Kellogg, and think it's an excellent school, whatever your career goals are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
 Q49  V47
Send PM
No problem.

As I said, I'm class of '09, so I'm currently wrapping up my first year.
Before Kellogg I used to work in a European IT role at a claims services company in the insurance industry.
I'm from the Netherlands, and will be returning there in a couple of weeks for a summer internship at McKinsey.
I hope to enjoy my internship and hope to do well, so hopefully I'll also be at McKinsey after Kellogg.

In terms of majors, I just take electives that I find interesting, and since many electives count towards multiple majors, most people 'magically' end up with a number of majors. My main interests are strategy and finance.

Again, I'm more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
larzke, how was recruiting for McK? Do you think your desire to go back to your home country helped you secure your intership?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V47
Send PM
There is usually less competition for non-US offices, so, all else equal, you could say it's easier. (The exception is London, which is probably as hard as NY, SF and Chicago.)

Companies know that students try to play this game and apply for 'easier' offices, only to request a transfer after they're hired, so you need a good reason to apply to an 'easier' office. For international students I can definitely recommend recruiting for your home location if you want to do consulting, because you have a strong motive for applying there.

The thing to realize though is that recruiting is a LOT harder than most incoming students think. Once you're accepted into a top business school, you somehow get this invincible feeling that job offers will be thrown at you. But you're never a shoe-in. You have to prove yourself during those interviews. You always need to meet the firm's minimum standards, which are pretty high. The difference with the popular offices is that once you meet those standards, they have the luxury of selecting only the best of the best of those few that were considered good enough. That effect is smaller at the less popular locations.

As for McKinsey, it's still seen as the golden standard in consulting, and it is generally considered to be the toughest to get into. BCG and Bain are narrowing the gap though, and most students' aim is simply to get a top-3 offer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kellogg essays available... [#permalink]
bump...updated for 2009 essays
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Question...is the 2 pages single or double spaced? :) Big difference!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
Question...is the 2 pages single or double spaced? :) Big difference!

double but adjusting fonts and margins gets you close to 1k words per essay. They actually shortened the #4 essays from 3 paragraphs to 2...must be anticipating more applications.

Copying from a thread on the main board:

Kellogg wants double spaced, I wouldnt go smaller than 10pt arial, or 11pt Times...I think Sandy (aka hbs guru) recommends 11 or 12pt arial narrow. Last year we had "2 or 3 paragraphs" for the #4 essays, each of my essays for #4 were about a page. I used 1" margins all around. You can get around 900 words per essay for 1-3.

Comparing this year and last year: Post with last years essay post356698.html#p356698
Essay 1: exactly the same (MMM had a different essay last year so that may suddenly appear)
Essay 2: same as last year, only difference was they included "Each of our applicants is unique." before the question last year.
Essay 3: exact same question slightly different wording

Essay 4: changed these up the only one that is the same is "I wish the adcom asked me..."

I actually used the other two options for my #4 essays last year. The challenging professional relationship one is similar to the reluctant question but the admire one is very different than the outside of work essay from last year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
This is great! I love the details in the admissions/placement stats!
Current Student
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
River - I am going to be pinging you a lot as I get ready to apply although I am almost convinced I stand a very slim chance at K
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
River - I am going to be pinging you a lot as I get ready to apply although I am almost convinced I stand a very slim chance at K

Better hit me up early, once school starts I doubt I will have tons of time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
River,
Fall 2009 applicant here, decided about Chicago and HAAS, but looking at the employent report of Kellogg, looks like I have to apply to Kellogg since I plan to shift to Food and Beverage industry. At Kellogg, CPG offers have been around 10% consistently for past 5 years and the number of food and beverage companies recruiting is highest among all the schools that I looked up.

I have been working in the IT for past 8 years, but have spent past 4 years in the IT division of a foodservice company as a project manager/business analyst. Does that sound reason enough to elaborate on and convince the school?

My long term goal is to be an entrepreneur in food and beverage industry.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Sorry I am no expert on the CPG part of Kellogg since I dont plan on entering Marketing post grad so I didnt research it at all. I can tell you that Kellogg is considered the top Marketing/CPG b-school. Not everyone that goes into marketing post MBA has prior experience, having at least been in the industry it will help in all aspects from trying to convince them of your career switch to recruiting. Since it has such a great reputation for marketing it definitely appears to be common for people to attend who want to switch in. I have met people going from many different careers hoping to enter CPG...military officers, IT, finance, engineering...much like banking or consulting its doable as long as you pursue it.

On how to present your story, you definitely can play on the angle of loving the industry but wanting a different roll. It will be especially effective if you have ever done anything outside the IT department for the company, it would be worth a shot trying to get on some project or something that will give you exposure to the MBA type marketing folks. Career switching is common in all MBA programs, the more convincing you are and the more you can show you understand the career/industry the better off you are.

I think if you want to apply to schools for marketing and CPG specifically, I would add Kellogg as your best option and Duke as a solid back-up (it also has a great marketing program).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7