Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink]
sondenso wrote:
48. Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

Both D and E are correct.
but choice D is simpler and to the point. D is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
A, B and C have obvious comparison issues - river vs cities or vice versa
I think E is mouthful. D would have been my choice.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Straight D sondenso - pay attention to the comparisons - in ABC river is compared to United states etc. E is a bit wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3663 [0]
Send PM
D changes the meaning guys thus it should be E
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Yeah on second read, E makes more sense. The usage of comma is a bit awkward in D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
48. Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

A- Wrong Comparison
B - which - non restrictive clause.
C -'where it' - it not correct. it can refer to anything
D - Incorrect. Might be a good contender if 'but' is replaced with 'like' or 'such as'
E - CORRECT - No longer do and but are used correctly.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Def E. The majority of the answers have city refer to river or vise versa.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
straight E..

D messes up the entire meaning..the original meaning is that the RIVER IS NO LONGER THE CENTER of attention...D says river is still the center of attention!
Director
Director
Send PM
lexis wrote:
D.
Sơn Denso, OA is?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saravalli wrote:
Going with E.

Pls attach with your "going with E" some reasons! :lol:

bsd_lover wrote:
The usage of comma is a bit awkward in D

I still not understand clearly why D is wrong! if omittiting comma in D, is D correct?

In timed pressures, I nearly do not pay attention to E, E is arranged at the final and seems wordy. But E is correct. I hate GmatPrep. So tricky! :lol:

I think, most of us will choose D at first and GMAC is very successful to deceice us.
:lol:
OA is E
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sondenso wrote:

Are there any similar usages between NO SOONER and NO LONGER? If it is NO SOONER, the auxiliary should precede the noun.
First time I read this sentence, I though it should be:
No longer HAVE many cities in United States a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river.

That why I choose D. But in fact, I fail. So need someone explains in detail.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
sondenso wrote:

I would choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel.
In D United states cities is parallel to the river which is incorrect.
Director
Director
Send PM
ventivish wrote:
choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel

That interesting finding, but :
many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river winds...

Honestly, I do not see what the parallel here? So confusing! :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
ventivish wrote:
choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel

That interesting finding, but :
many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river winds...

Honestly, I do not see what the parallel here? So confusing! :oops:

Well the way I see it(could be mistaken) there are many cities in United States that have a river as the focal point but in SanAntonio(city), the river winds...

It is not parallel in structure if you look on either side of but you are describing the river in the city.
Therefore in many cities in the U.S, the river is no longer the focal point, but in San Antonio , the river .....is the city's most popular attraction.

I dont mean to confuse the readers but this was part of my reasoning in answering the question, I could be wrong! If so please correct me. :idea:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.
Sơn Denso, OA is?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saravalli wrote:
Going with E.

Pls attach with your "going with E" some reasons! :lol:

Sure.. :-D .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 581 [0]
Concentration: MC, PE, VC
 Q50  V37
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.

I still not understand clearly why D is wrong! if omittiting comma in D, is D correct?

The use of the word "but" in D is not right. there is no contrast when u say few cities already have river as focal point.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.

The use of the word "but" in D is not right. there is no contrast when u say few cities already have river as focal point.

This is the best finding.
BUT can not be in D.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts