Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [6995]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [76]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Life
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [23]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: How to get 6.0 AWA on GMAT ....my guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
to add to chineseburn, veritas tells you in paragraph #5 (before conclusion and after 3rd point) to add what would have made the arguement issues stronger (analyze the arguement) or to criticize your own arguement (issues question). They say to write 6 paragraphs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [51]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
navy01 wrote:
to add to chineseburn, veritas tells you in paragraph #5 (before conclusion and after 3rd point) to add what would have made the arguement issues stronger (analyze the arguement) or to criticize your own arguement (issues question). They say to write 6 paragraphs.

I include this in the conclusions.
5 or 6 paragraphs doesn't matter as long as the word count is there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [237]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is an essay I wrote for a PR Test - Graded a 6.0 (normally they grade harder than real thing)

Prompt: “The autonomy of any country is based on the strength of its borders; if the number of illegal immigrants entering a country cannot be checked, both its economy and national identity are endangered. Because illegal immigrants pose such threats, every effort must be made to return them to their country of origin.”

Assignment: Discuss how well-reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion, be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

"This argument relies heavily on unverified assumptions and has a very extreme conclusion. The author fails to make logical connections between the evidence provided and the conclusion that all illegal aliens must be returned to their country of origin.

The first problem with the argument is that it suffers from multiple unsubstantiated claims. The first evidence that is given to support the extreme conclusion is that the autonomy of any country is based on the strength of its borders. This statement is also extreme because it infers that every countries autonomy could be ranked by the strength of its borders. There are many European countries that have very little strength exerted at the borders, but still maintain autonomy. The author should clarify this statement by grouping countries together or using a more vague statement that would include most countries but not all.

The next statement in the argument is conditional phrase stating that the more illegal immigrants that enter a country the worse off the economy and national identity will be. While this statement might be true for some countries it is certainly not true for all countries. The very foundation of early US society was based on immigrant labor and culture that brought from over the sea. There are still many countries whose economy is heavily dependent on immigrant labor. Even though many economist feel this statement is true in the US today, most would disagree that this statement is true of all countries.

The final portion of the author's argument is the conclusion. The conclusion states that the because of disadvantages mentioned earlier all illegal immigrants must be returned to their country of origin. Although this statement might appear to be a logical conclusion of this extreme argument it fails to take extra information into account. The author doesn't give any indication on how extreme these problems will be or how costly it will be to return the amount of illegal aliens to their home country. What if the cost to the economy was half the amount that it would cost to send all of the immigrants back to their country of origin? The author could use some monetary figures to prove that some savings would be incurred if all illegal immigrants were deported.

In conclusion, the argument suffers from logical flaws and makes an extreme conclusion based on unproven assumptions. The addition of hard examples and connections between the statements would prove to strengthen the argument."

*This just shows you how you don't have to write great to get a good score*
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [10]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
navy01 wrote:

I used verita for the essays, too....
In fact, I was most nervous about the AWAs then anything else.
I skipped paragraph #5 in the verita guide since the it leaves me too little time to proof read.
Anyways, just received my score today and got a 5.5, good enough.

I'd say probably the only good thing verita guide for is the AWA.....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [14]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
The only addendum I would add here is that you do not necessarily need to make 3 points. I made 2 points on an essay and still got a 6. If you don't make 3 points, though, make sure you write a lot about the 2 points. Word count is important, i think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [20]
Schools:Oxford
 Q50  V49
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks mate. The structure part of your guide was very helpful.

I didn't read past section 3, and it was good enough to take me from a 4.5 in late 2003 to a 6.0 a few days ago (I'm surprised they churned out a score that fast!). Unfortunately, that is only an 87% now... :(

My conclusion paragraphs were very short too, and my intros weren't that long either. My three body paragraphs were very long though. Therefore, if I have anything to add to this for other test takers, it is literally restate the argument/issue and take a position and move on. Don't bother with fluff and save that for the body, as that seems to be what they are looking for. Same with the conclusion. A couple sentences seems to suffice (i.e., don't restate anything, just say for the reasons stated above).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [9]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos