Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Loans for internationals...terminated for 2009-2010 [#permalink]
Where/how did you get to know of this?

I am in exactly the same scenario as you are but am contemplating on going 50-50...

Use personal funds to fund 50% of COA and the loan for the other 50%; this for each year.
With the way the things are shaping up, I have doubts on whether these no-cosigner loans will even be available next year.

I know I'd be taking a hit on the additional interest for the one year but doing this buys me time if these loans become unavailable next year and also reduces the amount that I would have to arrange for (by 50%). Throw in some money from the internship and some tax refunds..the amount becomes a lot more manageable.

What do you guys think?

aceman626 wrote:
Hi All,

I've heard that many loan programs will be terminated for the school year 2009-2010. This is especially a huge problem for international students without co-signers.

I know for sure Access Group will be terminating their international loans. Citibank i heard might be as well, or if they continue they will raise their rates by A LOT.

Anybody know what options internationals will have for next year?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
I've heard that many loan programs will be terminated for the school year 2009-2010

We need some proof that it might happen. Has anybody got some newsletter or newspaper article?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Expect the worst possible scenario.

If you prepare for the worst, then it can only improve from there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
hmm ... the obstacles for Intls keep increasing in the USA. Makes me wonder whether it is even worth the hassle after having already been at the short end of the stick once post UG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
hmm ... the obstacles for Intls keep increasing in the USA. Makes me wonder whether it is even worth the hassle after having already been at the short end of the stick once post UG

I am American.

But, the future lies in the East. And South.
Current Student
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
I never suggested that it doesnt, however that doesnt mean that getting an MBA in the US is a bad idea either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
I never suggested that it doesnt, however that doesnt mean that getting an MBA in the US is a bad idea either.

I agree with you. An MBA from a globally recognized program in the USA will take you many places. Plus, if you get a loan denominated in dollars, but work outside the USA and earn another currency, the chances increase that your loan actually "becomes cheaper" to pay off (since the value of the dollar most likely has further to fall).
Current Student
Send PM
That is true ... the $ devaluation will probably assist in paying off loans. However, the sheer differential in salaries make working anywhere outside of USA and perhaps UK troublesome when it comes to paying off the loans in a reasonable amount of time.

In any case, hopefully I will be able to convince someone that I am a 'safe' loan and get a co-signer.

trader1 wrote:
sm332 wrote:

I agree with you. An MBA from a globally recognized program in the USA will take you many places. Plus, if you get a loan denominated in dollars, but work outside the USA and earn another currency, the chances increase that your loan actually "becomes cheaper" to pay off (since the value of the dollar most likely has further to fall).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Since there are no more full loans that do not require co-signers, do you guys know if there are any organizations that help people co-sign loans? I don't have family in the states, don't really want to ask friends, not sure what my options are.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
Since there are no more full loans that do not require co-signers, do you guys know if there are any organizations that help people co-sign loans? I don't have family in the states, don't really want to ask friends, not sure what my options are.

You sure now every loan requires co-signor? In that case, I am gone. Off with my B-school dream!
GMAT Club Bot