Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Georgetown McDonough School of Business [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
Are you in your first year or second year?
I know US News ranks Georgetown in the top 25. What kind of reputation outside of D.C. does the school have?
What areas of business does the school focus on? Entrepreneuership? VC/PE?

When the new building is finished next year, I think the rank will move up well into 16-19 range. That's pretty much the only negative I found about McDonough; the business building was not big. Another great thing is the new dean (new being relatively, he was hired in the summer of 2005). Dean Daly was the dean of NYU's Stern from '93-'02 and we know how that has turned out.

However, alot of students I talked to said they enjoy the close-knit feel of a smaller building and that they will miss the "fish bowl" (a student lounge type area). I think the best way to see what kind of reputation Gtown has outside of DC, is to look at the hiring and internship profiles. It seems like a pretty wide array of locations, fields, etc.

It's a general management program and noted for it focus on international business The curriculum combines traditional functional courses with three integrative experiences that are multidisciplinary in nature and a fourth integrative experience requires international travel. However, I have long-term goals in the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry and I've talked to a few graduates who are doing very well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
tfr wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering what the recruiting timeline at Georgetown looks like. I know that IB starts in September and MC starts shortly thereafter. However, what about Corporate Finance, General Mgmt, Mkt, Gov, etc. Having poured over the past employment profiles, I know that G'town sends a lot of people into IB. However, for those not interested in IB, how are the job prospects. On a side note, how difficult/easy has it been for you to land a job/internship. In the past student's have complained about the career services department, in particular their inability to bring corporate recruiters to the campus.

Thanks!

I'm going into my 1st year, so I cannot really comment on the recruitment schedule. I also cannot comment on the career services department, although I have heard that same complaint. However, the employment profile shows a very high percentage of graduates with offers and also a high percentage of grads accepting those offers.

I'll report back once I start in the fall.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I plan to apply for Georgetown, this year, i will have 4 years of work ex by next June. I work as a Software Engg,I have a GMAT score of 690.

I am also involved into Investing into Stock Markets, and i have a great Interest for Investing,i do blogging,even where i have written some articles on Investing and Financial Markets, although they are at a beginner's level.

Do u think i can go ahead and apply for Georgetown for MBA? Do i stand a chance?

Thanks,
Ram
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ramsraj wrote:
Hi,

I plan to apply for Georgetown, this year, i will have 4 years of work ex by next June. I work as a Software Engg,I have a GMAT score of 690.

I am also involved into Investing into Stock Markets, and i have a great Interest for Investing,i do blogging,even where i have written some articles on Investing and Financial Markets, although they are at a beginner's level.

Do u think i can go ahead and apply for Georgetown for MBA? Do i stand a chance?

Thanks,
Ram

Sorry for my late response. Yes you have a very good chance as long as you write solid essays, interview well, etc. I had 3 years of work experience and a 700 GMAT score for your comparison. The average GPA of admits was 3.35 and the average GMAT was 678, if I remember correctly. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
I'm starting at Georgetown in the fall. Feel free to contact me about any questions and I'll try and answer as best I can.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
I'm starting at Georgetown in the fall. Feel free to contact me about any questions and I'll try and answer as best I can.

I'm thinking of McDonough.Will contact you soon.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Was over touring the new building the other day. It's very nice. In addition to being shiny and new it's in a prime location on campus right between the gym and the university student center.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
just got back from orientation, they gave us some info on the class of 2011:

GMAT: 685
GPA: 3.35
WE: 5.2

25% foreign nationals
+ 5% US permanent residents
Manager
Send PM
I just got back from our opening residency last night. We had tons of fun. They took us out to the Gaylord hotel and convention center on the national waterfront in Maryland from Wednesday to Friday. We were divided up into teams of 7 or 8 for a case competition. Each team was assigned a Wireless phone company and we were supposed to prepare a strategy for the company going forward. On Thursday the teams gave presentations on their own companies, then on Friday morning we did strategic alliance negotiations with the other teams. Finally we presented in front of professors, 2nd years and consultants from Deloitte Consulting.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
how does the school cater to people on the consulting track? are there lots of people there who want to go into consulting? how do the big (MBB) firms look at the school?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Georgetown is a general management program, so we have a large number of students interested in Consulting. you can check out the consulting club's website at [url]gscg.gumbaclub.org[/url]. The school has set up some career tracks with lists of recommended courses. We also have 5 school sponsored case competition teams this year. In addition there is dedicated staff in the career management office focusing on consulting.

Being in Washington DC the school has expecially strong relationships with public sector consulting firms and practices. As a school on the way up we are not a core school for any of the big 3, but we do send a student or two to one of those firms every year. We have strong relationships with big firms such as Booz Allen Hamilton, Accenture, Deloitte, CapGemini and many boutiques.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for answering these questions. I am currently studying for the GMAT and have Georgetown as my top choice. While I know you're in the full time program I'm, curious if you have noticed/heard/seen anything about the part time students?

With my family and work commitments I can't go full-time and Georgetown is highly rated and somewhat convenient (I live in Charlottesville). Just wondering if you have any insights.

thanks in advance for your help.
GMAT Club Bot