Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Given Kudos:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: 630 - Need Strategy Moving Forward [#permalink]
If you have gmatter then you have over 1000 SC and over 2000 CR to practice with. What I mean is that you can get maximum benefit out of improving your verbal. You can try to practice the way I do :

- Every day - 30 minutes of SC from gmatter. Focus on accuracy rather than speed. After 30 minutes how determine how many you got right (say 15 out of 20) and then give yourself an SC ability score. Over time you'll see the benefits. If you don't understand WHY something is correct, then post here. Try a similar strategy for CR.

Good luck.

jlola21 wrote:
When you say a strong course in verbal, what exactly do you mean? Are there any books you recommend? I'm running out of problems to do - but I do have that GMATTERS application.
Given Kudos:
Thanks bsd :) I am trying to not be glum right now, it's hard! I feel so deflated. I will try doing that, thanks a bunch!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
jlola, looking at your scores I have to concur with the rest of the board. 620-630 looks on par for you. Your verbal spiked twice, but I bet that is because you saw a majority of the verbal RC & CR presented in GMATPrep in the OG, and had some familiarity with it. Then you spiked in Gmatprep from a 600 to a 700. My guess is you didn't reinstall and saw a lot of repeat material.
Given Kudos:
Okay that is fine! I am not trying to say I deserved a higher score, I am just looking for advice moving forward. But the fact that I did run out of time I'm sure negatively impacted my score. As much fun as it is harping on my past scores and talking about how 630 is on par - I'd appreciate advice on moving forward, becuase I would like to do better than 630 ;).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Okay that is fine! I am not trying to say I deserved a higher score, I am just looking for advice moving forward. But the fact that I did run out of time I'm sure negatively impacted my score. As much fun as it is harping on my past scores and talking about how 630 is on par - I'd appreciate advice on moving forward, becuase I would like to do better than 630 ;).

Dont lose heart - I think a with a little more practice you will get that score you want. Time was defintely an issue for me the first time around also. But, I've been practicing alot - and not just doing a bunch of problems but really disecting each problem and undersatnding what it is that's being tested.

Im an engineer so my quant preparation has primarily been understanding the little GMAT tricks and rules to ensure that I dont make silly mistakes. Now, for the verbal, what has helped me immensely was reading the wall street journal (I got a subscription to it so every morning when I leave for work, it's there to remind me to read at least one section). Of course, it's not an over night thing - I've been reading it for the past 6 months or so. By doing so, this has helped with each topic: SC (you cant just read it though -- you have to actively read it and identify what the subject, verb, what's modifying what, etc), RC, and CR. The sentence structure in the WSJ is very similar in nature to the GMAT SC.

And, as everyone has said, actively participate. and really, there's not much more advice to give than..just practice, practice, and practice. there's no magic pill or solution. Good luck!
Given Kudos:
Thanks gmatblows! Agggghhh I hate this test right now. For RC and CR I make little notes like MGMAT suggests - but it is SOOO time consuming!! I think that's another factor that is hurting me... do you guys have any other ways you tackle those problems or do you also do the shorthand strategy?

I definitely will practice practice practice... but I can't lie, I can't wait till its over over over! :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts