Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Send PM
Re: TOP MBAs / EMBAs with strong network in Japan [#permalink]
Not useless. If you target International investment Banks, Japanese is not a requirement. Other multi-national companies usually have a Japanese language requirement (e.g. consulting, energy etc.)

For conventional Japanese companies, it's pretty useless as promotion is done from within.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Dear togafoot,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.

Actually, before starting my japanese lessons in Tokyo, I wanted to apply to a japanese MBA (Hitotsubashi ICS) but the reputation is .....how could I say.......There is simply no reputation from an international point of view since it could be regarded as a "local MBA".

I target international companies in the wine business (champagne for example) or luxury goods market.I do not have any experience in finance or IT.As a consequence, the japanese language ability is a must.

Do you know which MBAs have strong reputation for foreign companies located in Japan ?

Since I want to apply around the age or 38-40 yo, EMBA could be a wiser solution.So bye bye Harvard or Stanford....
Current Student
Send PM
Bookmarks
SebZen wrote:

Do you know which MBAs have strong reputation for foreign companies located in Japan ?

Since I want to apply around the age or 38-40 yo, EMBA could be a wiser solution.So bye bye Harvard or Stanford....

Japan has strong connections with the USA, so a lot of foreign companies are American so most of the brand name b-schools in the USA would be the ones to go for. But if you intend to work in Japan, Keio University`s MBA is worth looking at. However the MBA is taught in Japanese and there is a language proficiency test as part of the entrance exam.

Even companies like Google, Apple, McKinsey, BCG, GE etc, require Japanese capability. You will be working in an office were quite a few of your colleagues may not know any English at all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
KEIO MBA looks interesting and challenging even if the requirements to enter are less selective than the US MBAs (elite business school).

However, it has 2 weak points.First, it is a japanese MBA and I do not have the level to apply now (JLPT 1 I guess). Second, it is a 2 year program.

The more it comes, the more I think that the Exec MBA will suit me.Indeed, I already planned to study during 12 / 18 months japanese language so I can not have another pause in my professionnal life in few years in order to join a full time program.Especially around the around the age of 40, critical point for job I think.

Thus, I made a quick investigation and thanks to the Financial Times rankings, I read that Chicago GSB has a campus in Singapore.Then I checked on Chicago GSB alumni website and..."With more than 500 GSB Alumni in Japan, the University of Chicago Business School Club of Japan is one of the most active business school alumni organizations in Japan."

= plus 1 point !
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
SebZen wrote:

Thus, I made a quick investigation and thanks to the Financial Times rankings, I read that Chicago GSB has a campus in Singapore.Then I checked on Chicago GSB alumni website and..."With more than 500 GSB Alumni in Japan, the University of Chicago Business School Club of Japan is one of the most active business school alumni organizations in Japan."

= plus 1 point !

One thing to check... See how many of the alumni are non-Japanese. Outside of Finance, I have yet to meet anyone with an MBA who is not Japanese. I have been in Japan for 5 years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK I will keep your advice as a main criteria. Thanks.

togafoot wrote:
Outside of Finance, I have yet to meet anyone with an MBA who is not Japanese. I have been in Japan for 5 years.

Outside of finance and IT, do you mean that "just" being fluent in japanese your friends who are not japanese found an attractive job (in terms of responsabilities and salary) ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Send PM
SebZen wrote:
OK I will keep your advice as a main criteria. Thanks.

togafoot wrote:
Outside of Finance, I have yet to meet anyone with an MBA who is not Japanese. I have been in Japan for 5 years.

Outside of finance and IT, do you mean that "just" being fluent in japanese your friends who are not japanese found an attractive job (in terms of responsabilities and salary) ?

Of all my friends who are fluent in japanese, none of them have an MBA, and most work in a technical role where an MBA is not as valued. Fluency is a must because your customers will be Japanese.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
SebZen wrote:
Hello to all the members and visitors of this great forum,

We always talk about MBAs/EMBAs in order to enter into the American/European job markets and almost never for Asian markets and more specifically Japanese job market.

Since MBAs in Japan are not well ranked in international rankings, is there somebody who knows which BSchools have a strong network in Japan ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Seb

Your better off going to an ivy leauge here in the US or Europe. Take the National Japanese proficiency exams and find a job that way.

If you really want a Japanese University: Tokyo U., Sophia Univ., Keo Univ. and I can't remember the other one, but its something like Meiji (thats not right but its close).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear GMATBLACKBELT and togafoot,

Thank you for your help.

Indeed, I plan to take the JLPT this year (2kyuu) and then look for a job here in Tokyo.

Actually, I am not so motivated to apply to a MBA taught in Japan.I think the ROI will not reach my hopes. I think US and Europe will suit more my ambitions.........I will have to win vs GMAT in order to reach around 680 or even 700 (magic step!)I will not forget to keep in mind togafoot advice concerning the nationality of the MBA holders and their field of activity.

Thanks again

Seb
Current Student
Send PM