Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
BYU is an excellent school. However, one should bear in mind that they take their honor code very seriously and that said code may be considered rather strict, particularly if you do not come from a conservative religious background (apparently sometimes even if you do--I'm old enough to remember the Real World flap from about 10 years ago).

In BYU's defense, they do make their honor code publicly available on their website, so no one can claim they don't know what they're getting into. As for me, I don't like being told what I can do and wear in my off time. But if you're OK with the school's rules, you could certainly do a lot worse.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I am a mormon so the honor code is nothing special to me. I'll be applying to BYU, Harvard and Stanford, and if I get accepted to all tree I will probably choose BYU.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Well, I am a mormon so the honor code is nothing special to me.

I guessed as much. I have a good friend who is headed there in the fall, actually (not for business, though). My previous post was mostly for the benefit of people from other backgrounds so they don't get all excited about the rankings and then blindsided by rules they might have a problem with. Again, if you're OK with those rules, I hope going there works out for you. I completely respect BYU's right to have the policies that they have.

For the record, it's probably safe to say there are certain endearing factors and irritating factors of any school, and they vary depending on the person. One person's endearment can be another's irritant. :) To use a secular example, football is a huge deal at Texas A&M. Your opinion on that probably depends very heavily on your opinion of football.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
well, yeah you are probably right about that. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Does anyone know what the BYU experience is like for someone outside the faith?

I'm thinking of applying for the MAcc program, but I'm worried about the cultural fit. Since I'm Catholic, many parts of the honor code are second nature. I'd have to adjust to the no coffee/tea/alcohol thing and while I dress conservatively my nose ring is clearly a policy violation. While those are far from minor, my biggest concern is the social factor. I have zero interest in being converted. How often will I have to tactfully decline invitations to join the church? Will I be able to develop a camaraderie with others in the program, or will I be ostracized for not being LDS?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kristin wrote:
Does anyone know what the BYU experience is like for someone outside the faith?

I'm thinking of applying for the MAcc program, but I'm worried about the cultural fit. Since I'm Catholic, many parts of the honor code are second nature. I'd have to adjust to the no coffee/tea/alcohol thing and while I dress conservatively my nose ring is clearly a policy violation. While those are far from minor, my biggest concern is the social factor. I have zero interest in being converted. How often will I have to tactfully decline invitations to join the church? Will I be able to develop a camaraderie with others in the program, or will I be ostracized for not being LDS?

Kristin,
MAcc at Marriott was ranked #2 nationwide if I recall it correctly, so it's a good programm to apply to.
I'm a mormon and also thinking about applying to Marriott. As BYUI student I see a lot of students on campus who are of different faith. I have a lot of non-mormon friends and from what I know they don't feel any discomfort. About your worries of being bugged to be converted... Don't worry, students and professors respest students with different religious backgrounds. If you are fine with obeying the Honor Code on campus, you'll be fine. Again, if you don't show any interest in the LDS church, you won't hear any invitations. Hopefully it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for replying. That does alleviate some of my concerns. Do you know how stringently honor code rules are applied off campus? Particularly:
BYU Honor Code wrote:
The following are examples of serious noncompliant behavior related to alcohol use:
* Being present where alcohol is being consumed by others
My assumption is that this is intended to prevent you from hanging out at a bar or placing yourself in similar situations. But if I were to interpret this literally, not only could I not receive communion, but I couldn't be at a mass where other people are receiving communion. Similarly, my family often has alcoholic beverages at family celebrations. I understand that I could not imbibe, but would I have to forfiet spending the holidays with my family while a student at BYU? As excellent as the Marriott program is, these are not sacrifices I am willing to make.
CTO
CTO
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT
Send PM
[#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: BYU Marriott [#permalink]
This is strange that BYU is among mostly unranked schools. 90% of the schools here cannot match BYU's placement stats, gmat scores/gpa, average years of WE, and its undergaduate business program is 6th in the nation.

can anyone explain the reasoning behind those rankings?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Utah is really cold though
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I think it is time to move the school to near elite or even trans elite cluster. Accordng to businessweek 2008, it is ranked 22th, to usnews 29th, wsj: 1 regional b-school, forbes 18th.

non of the schools in current category present even top 30 of any in those editorials.
GMAT Club Bot