Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Re: Chicago GSB [#permalink]
Question regarding the website...where can you find the list of elective classes? I'm specifically looking to see what Marketing electives GSB offers? Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
Question regarding the website...where can you find the list of elective classes? I'm specifically looking to see what Marketing electives GSB offers? Thanks!

Try hitting up:

https://programs.chicagogsb.edu/curriculum/

Keep in mind that next years schedule isnt up yet though. Generally speaking, for a degree in Marketing Management you need to take: Business 37000 and at least three additional courses from among 37101, 37102, 37103, 37104, 37106, 37201, 37202, 37203, 37205, 37302, 37303, 37400, 37701, and 41301.

Some marketing courses include:

37000 Marketing Strategy
37101 Consumer Behavior
37102 Quantitative Marketing Research Methods
37103 Data-Driven Marketing
37104 Economics and Demographics of Marketing
37106 Marketing Research
37201 Developing New Products and Services
37202 Pricing Strategies
37203 Integrated Marketing Communications
37205 Going to Market: Managing Channel Strategy
37303 Marketing of Services
37400 Advanced Marketing Strategy
37701 Laboratory in New Product and Strategy Development I
37902 Advanced Marketing Theory: Quantitative Perspective
37903 Adv Mktg Theory: Behavioral Science Approach
37905 Marketing Literature Seminar
41301 Statistical Insight into Marketing, Consulting, and Entrepreneurship

There are a lot of other good courses that aren't strictly in marketing but great courses to take anyway. Eg. 34106 Commercializing Innovation.

And if you need descriptions try the above link too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi buddy,

I have some concerns regarding my profile whether it suits the like of GSB Chicago. i want to move to pvt quity so i am keen to join a ggod finance school like Chicago...
i am planning to apply for 2011 graduating class. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Age 24
Work exp till date: 22 months
Current employer: Irevna research services (KPO of std & Poor's) in equity research
Past exp: Statutory audits with Deloitte

Will give my Gmat in Aug 08 as i was busy till june with my CFA level1 exam......
How does the profile look on paper. my concern is being employed with a KPO will adversely affect my profile??????? Please suggest
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Deepakg, gmatclub has a separate section for profiles evaluations - 124. You can ask people there. Generally, I see no major threats in your current brief profile as well as research work in KPO. But there could be some minor details that you might want to discuss in depth on those pages. And still you need to take the exams - people evaluating your profile will want to know the stats :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Bus. Strategy, Entrep.
Schools:Haas, Booth-PT
Send PM
I was reading through some posts by people from India (I am an Indian citizen too). I got an impression that most of the schools termed as "UE" do not accept candidiates who are Indian citizens. is that right? This would be helpful in keeping my focus on right track.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
VISHGOEL wrote:
I was reading through some posts by people from India (I am an Indian citizen too). I got an impression that most of the schools termed as "UE" do not accept candidiates who are Indian citizens. is that right? This would be helpful in keeping my focus on right track.

Its not that the Ultra Elites (UEs) don't accept Indian citizens, its that applicants from India are a VERY competitive pool in terms of stats, number of people applying, & similar backgrounds.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VISHGOEL wrote:

I know at least one GMAT club member who is Indian is heading to GSB. Lots of Indians who are american citizens are going to all the top schools, including Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton, and I believe terry is Indian so the only Stanford admit ever on here is Indian.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
VISHGOEL wrote:

I know at least one GMAT club member who is Indian is heading to GSB. Lots of Indians who are american citizens are going to all the top schools, including Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton, and I believe terry is Indian so the only Stanford admit ever on here is Indian.

Yup, proud ABCD here :-D But I have no idea whether Indian Americans are placed in the same "pool" as Indian citizens.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I don't think Indian Citizens are place in the same pool as Indian Americans. though I have heard that a few schools (forgot which ones) count non-caucasian Americans as "international" for their international student percentage... Yeah, sketchy... :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
I think most schools go by International as being foreign citizens ... those that dont are being very 'creative' with the truth.

Anyways ... Chicago is piquing my curiosity quite a lot of late.

A couple of questions for you guys:

- although it has traditionally been thought of as a very heavy quant school - is that the reality?
- what is the academic environment like? i.e. Alpha male a la Harvard or more collaborative a la Kellogg?

Also what would be the best time to visit? I would like to go see both Chicago and Northwestern .. so suggestions would be welcome.

kryzak wrote:
I don't think Indian Citizens are place in the same pool as Indian Americans. though I have heard that a few schools (forgot which ones) count non-caucasian Americans as "international" for their international student percentage... Yeah, sketchy... :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
sm332 wrote:
...A couple of questions for you guys:

- although it has traditionally been thought of as a very heavy quant school - is that the reality?
- what is the academic environment like? i.e. Alpha male a la Harvard or more collaborative a la Kellogg?

Also what would be the best time to visit? I would like to go see both Chicago and Northwestern .. so suggestions would be welcome....

I am obviously not an ambassador, but I've recently visited both. Regarding the quant reputation, my take is that most classes have a quant element. For example, subjects that are typically not regarded as quant heavy (e.g. marketing) will utilize quantitative techniques in their teaching methods. Since Chicago's curriculum is so flexible, I think it is up to you how advanced you want to go with the quant stuff, specifically finance.

Regarding the academic environment, I asked a student the same question. They said that people are extremely collaborative at Chicago. She even said that it might be partially due to the grade non-disclosure policy.

I would visit once the official visits start so that you can visit a class. If you have time, I would try to go to a GSB Live event, which are held on Fridays. That way, you can visit Kellogg on Thursday. Then you can stay in Chicago Friday night so you can go out drinking with the students (if you are into that).

If you try to make that trip, I would recommend staying in Evanston on Wednesday night. I recommend the Margarita Inn. It was cheap and had a lot of character. Then make your way to Chicago (not easy) after the Kellogg visit. I stayed in the International House on Chicago's campus. I would recommend against doing that. It's a dorm and pretty much sucks IMO.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
hmm thanks for the pointers ... I have a friend who lives in Chicago so that shouldnt be an issue.

But i will keep the Evanston rec in mind ... it seems like I need to wait till Later Sept - early Oct to do this ... hmmm

maverick2011 wrote:
sm332 wrote:
...A couple of questions for you guys:

Also what would be the best time to visit? I would like to go see both Chicago and Northwestern .. so suggestions would be welcome....

I am obviously not an ambassador, but I've recently visited both. Regarding the quant reputation, my take is that most classes have a quant element. For example, subjects that are typically not regarded as quant heavy (e.g. marketing) will utilize quantitative techniques in their teaching methods. Since Chicago's curriculum is so flexible, I think it is up to you how advanced you want to go with the quant stuff, specifically finance.

Regarding the academic environment, I asked a student the same question. They said that people are extremely collaborative at Chicago. She even said that it might be partially due to the grade non-disclosure policy.

I would visit once the official visits start so that you can visit a class. If you have time, I would try to go to a GSB Live event, which are held on Fridays. That way, you can visit Kellogg on Thursday. Then you can stay in Chicago Friday night so you can go out drinking with the students (if you are into that).

If you try to make that trip, I would recommend staying in Evanston on Wednesday night. I recommend the Margarita Inn. It was cheap and had a lot of character. Then make your way to Chicago (not easy) after the Kellogg visit. I stayed in the International House on Chicago's campus. I would recommend against doing that. It's a dorm and pretty much sucks IMO.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:

Actually, I beg to differ. The I-House at UofC was spartan and a dorm room, but for $70/night, it worked out quite alright. The place was pretty nice for the price and right next to the GSB. I highly recommend the I-House if you want to save money and don't mind a very simple and spartan room with a communal bathroom. :) I even travelled up to Kellogg from UoC to save money... of course, that took 2.5 hours, so it's not recommended unless you have a lot of time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
Actually, I beg to differ. The I-House at UofC was spartan and a dorm room, but for $70/night, it worked out quite alright. The place was pretty nice for the price and right next to the GSB. I highly recommend the I-House if you want to save money and don't mind a very simple and spartan room with a communal bathroom. :) I even travelled up to Kellogg from UoC to save money... of course, that took 2.5 hours, so it's not recommended unless you have a lot of time.

I completely forgot you visited GSB. And to think I pictured you as a high roller Kry and you were staying in a slumhouse haha.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I completely forgot you visited GSB. And to think I pictured you as a high roller Kry and you were staying in a slumhouse haha.

... and was *this* close to applying to GSB, if it weren't for my burn-out and lack of ideas for the powerpoint. :(

as for high roller, I think you're confusing me with rhyme :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
kryzak wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:

Good point. I actually should have elaborated. If you are looking for cheap/no-frills housing within walking distance of the GSB, then I-House is perfect. You do have to share a bathroom (think dorm style), which isn't that big of a deal.

One problem I had with it is that it made going out downtown a little more difficult for a Chicago novice. I guess I also have a bad taste in my mouth because I arrived around 9 pm, and the receptionist recommended I not go walk to get food due to safety concerns. For me personally, I will stay somewhere downtown next time, but it all depends on what you are looking for.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 587 [0]
Send PM
I am very interested in strategy/management consulting and in the process of looking into specific professors and/or courses.

current students, which professors/courses did you enjoy and recommend for those looking into strategy consulting. and, which professors/courses do you NOT recommend and why?

thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3