Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink]
Frankly, IMD is not even well-known in Switzerland, since it is not a Swiss Federal Institute such as HSG St. Gallen. But as you mentioned, IMD has placed itself over the last years in the rankings as one of the best B-schools in Europe.

Therefore, I am sure that any people in US or Europe who really know (or have to know) about B-Schools will know IMD. Maybe you should try to get in touch with an IMD alumnus who is currently working in US...

Cheers,
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
catgmat wrote:
Frankly, IMD is not even well-known in Switzerland, since it is not a Swiss Federal Institute such as HSG St. Gallen. But as you mentioned, IMD has placed itself over the last years in the rankings as one of the best B-schools in Europe.

Therefore, I am sure that any people in US or Europe who really know (or have to know) about B-Schools will know IMD. Maybe you should try to get in touch with an IMD alumnus who is currently working in US...

Cheers,

yeah, I think that's an interesting idea. I've already found some alumnis working in the U.S. thanks to facebook...heheh....I just hope that they give me their honest answers rather than being biased supporting IMD simply cause they went there. I know that IMD is an awesome school, but I would just like to see the career opportunities within the U.S. I know that the career opportunities for the IMD alumni is at least awesome for the rest of the world.

I have a question for you, what do you think is the difference between IMD and INSEAD? which one do you think has a better or probably stronger reputation on international level and why? since INSEAD is also a great school, I don't think the people living in France even know about INSEAD surprisingly.

thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:

yeah, I think that's an interesting idea. I've already found some alumnis working in the U.S. thanks to facebook...heheh....I just hope that they give me their honest answers rather than being biased supporting IMD simply cause they went there. I know that IMD is an awesome school, but I would just like to see the career opportunities within the U.S. I know that the career opportunities for the IMD alumni is at least awesome for the rest of the world.

I have a question for you, what do you think is the difference between IMD and INSEAD? which one do you think has a better or probably stronger reputation on international level and why? since INSEAD is also a great school, I don't think the people living in France even know about INSEAD surprisingly.

thanks!

Well, I think that you are completely right, because HEC is much more well-known in France than INSEAD is. But on the other hand, INSEAD like LBS is super well-known in US job market, partly because of the powerful INSEAD alumni network that is growing with 700 new members every year, partly because INSEAD has an alliance with Warthon BS and a campus in Singapur.

However, I would say that the main difference between INSEAD in IMD are school size, "consulting vs. general managment" and probably brand recognition. It is also said that IMD has a more mature and executive student body than INSEAD has, which is also said to be young and corporate. IMD seems to be very exclusive and offers only 100 seats for its candidates. But at the end of the day, I am sure that IMD is a very good and competitive school and companies who know LBS + INSEAD will also know IMD.

Why are you not considering LBS?

Cheers,
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
catgmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

thanks!

Well, I think that you are completely right, because HEC is much more well-known in France than INSEAD is. But on the other hand, INSEAD like LBS is super well-known in US job market, partly because of the powerful INSEAD alumni network that is growing with 700 new members every year, partly because INSEAD has an alliance with Warthon BS and a campus in Singapur.

However, I would say that the main difference between INSEAD in IMD are school size, "consulting vs. general managment" and probably brand recognition. It is also said that IMD has a more mature and executive student body than INSEAD has, which is also said to be young and corporate. IMD seems to be very exclusive and offers only 100 seats for its candidates. But at the end of the day, I am sure that IMD is a very good and competitive school and companies who know LBS + INSEAD will also know IMD.

Why are you not considering LBS?

Cheers,

I probably would have, but I need to start my MBA in January 2009. I didn't get the gmat score that I need to be admitted in such schools and the deadlines for these schools are already gone. I'm still working on my GMAT. It's also interesting how people ask me "why not LBS or INSEAD?" Are you implying that they are better than IMD?

would you please rank for me the top 3 MBA schools in europe in your opinion? would be interesting to know and why as well.
thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
I probably would have, but I need to start my MBA in January 2009. I didn't get the gmat score that I need to be admitted in such schools and the deadlines for these schools are already gone. I'm still working on my GMAT. It's also interesting how people ask me "why not LBS or INSEAD?" Are you implying that they are better than IMD?

would you please rank for me the top 3 MBA schools in europe in your opinion? would be interesting to know and why as well.
thanks!

That's an old question, depending on where you want to work, but I believe in Europe I would say:

1. LBS (Finance, good brand, London, 15-21 month programme)
2. INSEAD (Consulting, good brand, 10 month programme)
3. IMD (GM, exclusive brand, older candidates, very special and small classes)
4. IESE

Assuming that you want to go into consulting choose INSEAD, for finance go to LBS.

Please note that IE and HEC have also January/February intakes. However, if you want to work in the US, you should apply for US top B-schools. But I am sure that LBS, INSEAD and IMD are the most recognized European B-schools in the US.

I also think that Kellogg and Wharton are not very well-known in Europe, but those companies that recruit MBA graduates know them for sure.

cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anybody have any Idea about SIM program of HSG St. Gallen in Switzerland ? Is it a good program fro general and strategy management ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sandeepjain79 wrote:
Does anybody have any Idea about SIM program of HSG St. Gallen in Switzerland ? Is it a good program fro general and strategy management ?

Maybe you should skim through the St. Gallen web page and GMAT Club thread to get a better picture of St. Gallen. HSG is very famous in the German speaking part of Europe, some say the German counterpart of LSE. The MBA programme is quite new and not yet ranked in FT. I am sure that this will change. However, IMD is definitely the better school!

106-t56736

https://www.mba.unisg.ch/org/es/mba.nsf/ ... endocument

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I went through their website to get more information about SIM (its Masters of Art in International and Strategy Mangement program) and looks interesting to me for these reasons. I had also reasearched about their MBA program and it is quite reputed as well. Average salary of St. Gallen MBA graduate is abt CHF 110 K and taxes in Switzerland is about 10-15 %. This makes it quite attractive from ROI point of view too. But there are only about 40 seats available and for 2009 fall ,the average GMAT score is increased to 710.
They have decided to not to have more than 15% of their class belonging to one country to make their class more diversified. They have rejected students from US,UK and India with 730+ GMAT score for this reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
I met the IMD admissions director at one of the TopMBA fairs in SFO. My question to her was very specific ' How strong is the IMD Alumni network in Wall St' and her answer was a dismal 'very little'. So what this implies is - chances of finding a job in the US are slim to none if you are from IMD. This is of course very specific to finance related careers.

What the admissions director also told was that 'you can get hired in Switzerland and work in the US' - am not sure how that translates to a prospective job offer.

Bottom line - if you want a respectable post b-school career in the US your top choice must be the M7 schools.
GMAT Club Bot