Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Is anyone else considering their Health Sector Management (HSM) program?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
Is anyone else considering their Health Sector Management (HSM) program?

Although it is highly ranked, I am somewhat skeptical of it. I am sure they have excellent placement into hospital administration, pharma companies, etc. but I am really questioning whether they place any decent numbers into McKinsey healthcare, healthcare banking, etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
All this discussion really shows (yet again) is that you need to have done the research for yourself and you have to know for certain that the school you apply to is going to be able to offer you what you want from it. In the end, only you know your goals and if you do the research you'll know best if the school you're looking at can fulfill them.

The thing about Duke is that they should room to grow still.

As for the class makeup, I got from chemical engineering degree from one of the top rated programs in the nation and there were some "mediocre" folks there as well. That didn't affect my education at all, nor did it affect the fact that I had access to faculty that were the leading experts in the world in what they studied. Obviously, it's not the same situation in B-school (nor am I claiming Duke's faculty are the best in the world), but you can't make your decision on the class makeup. I'm sure there are some mediocre students everywhere you go. I've run into a few arrogant jerks at some top schools, but that wouldn't cause me to stereotype the entire class and not apply there because of it. And frankly, if you're going to be the worst performer in the best program, you might be better off being the best performer in a top-15 school.

terp's list is a list specific to why he chose not to apply, my list might look very much the same for a school that I've chosen not to apply to, in the end it's a decision you need to make.

Finally, the ethics scandal really means nothing, especially after the latest GMAT scandal, which just goes to prove that Duke was forced to deal with something that unfortunately happens everyday at every school (graduate, professional, or UG).
Current Student
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
All this discussion really shows (yet again) is that you need to have done the research for yourself and you have to know for certain that the school you apply to is going to be able to offer you what you want from it. In the end, only you know your goals and if you do the research you'll know best if the school you're looking at can fulfill them.

The thing about Duke is that they should room to grow still.

As for the class makeup, I got from chemical engineering degree from one of the top rated programs in the nation and there were some "mediocre" folks there as well. That didn't affect my education at all, nor did it affect the fact that I had access to faculty that were the leading experts in the world in what they studied. Obviously, it's not the same situation in B-school (nor am I claiming Duke's faculty are the best in the world), but you can't make your decision on the class makeup. I'm sure there are some mediocre students everywhere you go. I've run into a few arrogant jerks at some top schools, but that wouldn't cause me to stereotype the entire class and not apply there because of it. And frankly, if you're going to be the worst performer in the best program, you might be better off being the best performer in a top-15 school.

terp's list is a list specific to why he chose not to apply, my list might look very much the same for a school that I've chosen not to apply to, in the end it's a decision you need to make.

well put!
cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
kd,

What'd you call me?

Lol, just kidding.
-ryguy

solaris1 wrote:
Ok, and what's the typical Fuqua student like, kidderek? Just curious.

Whoa whoa. I'm just saying tongue in cheek. Especially having spoken to ryguy & knowing his background, somewhat, I just didn't picture him applying to Fuqua. I figure he'd stick with the fin powerhouses.

With that said, Fuqua is a damn good school w/good gmatclub representation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Shooting for round 1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Deadlines and Essays are up:

103-p496530?t=66319#p496530
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Having attended the Diversity Weekend last year, I can say that terp06 does have a point regarding the cookie cutter nature of the student body. During "Fuqua Friday" (the weekly drink beer/socialize with classmates event), I met many current students who rolled their eyes at my sustainable development aspirations (they were, "it's all about banking dude" types), and a lot had the fraternity/sorority feel going on (which is not really my thing, but hey...it IS Duke). That being said, I also met quite a few people that I feel like I could have gotten along with, and to be fair to the people I'm bashing (the banker dudes), after they finished slagging me off for my career goals, they invited me to a party :lol:

I must say that the administration did a great job in convincing me about their curriculum (the cross pollination if you will), their committment to team work, and I loved the international aspects of the program as well.

For all those reasons and more...I'm in this Round 1.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
How is Fuqua for consulting for career switchers? I see some McK/B/B hires but it's possible they all had previous consulting experience.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
It places well, but apparently the only office McK/B/B hires for out of Duke is Atlanta. So you may want to keep that in mind?

sonibubu wrote:
How is Fuqua for consulting for career switchers? I see some McK/B/B hires but it's possible they all had previous consulting experience.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
It places well, but apparently the only office McK/B/B hires for out of Duke is Atlanta. So you may want to keep that in mind?

sonibubu wrote:

dammit! thanks for the info. I'm trying to go west coast post-MBA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
Any thoughts on the Early Action round this year? Especially the binding agreement
"In addition, any applications submitted to other schools must be withdrawn upon an offer of admission from The Duke MBA."

Anyone looking to apply for this round?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Ack, they changed the essay questions...

I had just put the finishing touches on my drafts. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

~Sam
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Interesting they added an Early Action... I believe this is new.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the top tier programs, that aren't quite Ultra Elite add these type of options to increase their yield, and maybe have some more top talent..

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
Yes this is new, Nov. results and Dec. deposit time seems pretty early.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
Interesting they added an Early Action... I believe this is new.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the top tier programs, that aren't quite Ultra Elite add these type of options to increase their yield, and maybe have some more top talent..

~Sam

Top talent does not even apply to Columbia ED - Go check out the stats for ED applicants on Admissions411.

It is highly doubtful that Duke will attract top talent with their ED round. They are just trying to increase their yield (which is quite poor). I don't think it will have any positive effect on applicant quality.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Terp,

Good point. I failed to fully think that through I suppose... but I think you are correct. I think I heard Duke's yield was around 40% or so. Does this sound right?

terp06 wrote:
Top talent does not even apply to Columbia ED - Go check out the stats for ED applicants on Admissions411.

It is highly doubtful that Duke will attract top talent with their ED round. They are just trying to increase their yield (which is quite poor). I don't think it will have any positive effect on applicant quality.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50