Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
VP
VP
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
They said the essays may be changed slightly, but not completely revamped. As a lot of people here have said already, NYU appears to stress "fit" more than scores, GPA etc. (I think that's just code for "yield conscious" :-D) but they had some stories about folks with 780's being rejected without interviews, and then getting worked up about it.

I live in New York so it's no big deal for me to visit, but yes, I'd recommend visiting in the Fall when classes and the full-time folks are around. Right now it was only the "Summer Start" students who were around. I did get the opportunity to talk to two recent '08 grads who were serving as Graduate Ambassadors until the end of summer.

I personally plan to go again in September.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I think like in fall when they open up the application, you can register to do class visits. I attended their info session in April.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
sterny wrote:
solaris1-

do you mind sharing your experiences at the info session? did they talk anything about the essays? their expectations from this year's admission process?

also - would you suggest visiting the school in summer? i was told fall is a better time as the campus is in full glory, but summer fits the bill, i will do it

I went for a class visit last year. But in terms of information, you're not going to get much new info. You might get some ideas about essay #3, but there isn't any more information than what you can find on the websites. Where the visit shines is when you interact with the students. You get a glimpse into their lives and you'll find that Stern students are accessible, friendly, and accomplished.

The class visit was blahh. There was one guy who couldn't understand the concept of basic game theory. A couple students fell asleep during class. They were in full stride, and I think they mostly knew that class time is BS time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
kidderek wrote:

I went for a class visit last year.

The class visit was blahh. There was one guy who couldn't understand the concept of basic game theory. A couple students fell asleep during class. They were in full stride, and I think they mostly knew that class time is BS time.

When did you visit Stern? I went to Columbia in April (2 weeks before classes were over) and saw two ends of the spectrum.

1) The first class I sat in on was Advanced Corporate Finance (does it surprise you that I would sit in on a class like that ;)). I thought the topic was pretty fascinating and the professor was good. He was covering bankruptcy and reorganization. The students were rather disinterested, though. One guy in the back of the class was on his laptop the whole time. A couple of students were reading FT or WSJ. One student was super rude and kept walking in and out of the class every 10-15 minutes. Basically, these students were checked out. They had two weeks to go until graduation and the class simply didn't matter to them at that point.

2) The second class I sat in on was a "core class" (Creating Effective Organizations) and I was expecting it to be boring. However, it was far from it. It was basically a class led discussion on a case they had read on Jack Welch. It was exciting, it was dynamic, and students weren’t afraid to argue their points. To add to this, the professor had been a consultant in the mid-80's working directly with Jack Welch! The 75 minutes went by in a flash and I was sad when it ended.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that it depends on when you go, what class you sit in on, etc., etc. I am still in love with CBS despite the fact that the first class was not very engaging, to say the least. Furthermore, the facilities aren't all that great (even USC rocks some sweet digs compared to CBS). It's a good idea to talk to as many people as possible, sit in on as many classes as you can, and connect with alumni. If a school such as Stern is attractive because of its location and reputation in finance, by all means APPLY! If you are fortunate to get in to multiple schools, that is the time to decide between School X and School Y. Attend the admitted stusent weekends and then make up your mind.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
103-t52274?sk=t&sd=a&hilit=nyu+2008&start=40

That's my writeup.

At Stern, they only allow one class visit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/103-t52274?sk=t&sd=a&hilit=nyu+2008&start=40

That's my writeup.

At Stern, they only allow one class visit.

Ah, thanks for the link!
Current Student
Send PM
Don't go in the summer unless you have no other chance to visit or want to go PT. The actual feel of the FT is only really there when the FT is there.

I don't think the fit thing is yield conscious. They are very clear on what type of people they want at the school, will thrive at the school and enjoy the school. I am sure sometimes this involves some decisions which on simple logic and statistics seem crazy. But they are very clear in what they are building, and how the class fits together. I am sure every school has its way, but this school was for me (and I am doing the kind of thing next year the potential kool aid drinker is doing from the class above me!).

I should try drop in and find the summer start kids for some fun.
VP
VP
3underscore - in your opinion, what's the type of person that typically succeeds, thrives at and enjoys Stern the most?

3underscore wrote:
Don't go in the summer unless you have no other chance to visit or want to go PT. The actual feel of the FT is only really there when the FT is there.

I don't think the fit thing is yield conscious. They are very clear on what type of people they want at the school, will thrive at the school and enjoy the school. I am sure sometimes this involves some decisions which on simple logic and statistics seem crazy. But they are very clear in what they are building, and how the class fits together. I am sure every school has its way, but this school was for me (and I am doing the kind of thing next year the potential kool aid drinker is doing from the class above me!).

I should try drop in and find the summer start kids for some fun.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
3underscore - in your opinion, what's the type of person that typically succeeds, thrives at and enjoys Stern the most?

Wow, almost a month between posts.

Just an update, navy01 is NOT a reapp since she was taken off the waitlist and on to the accepted list.

Solaris,

That's a bit of an open ended question, but a Sternie (Sterny?) and fellow gmatclubber told me that Stern really does stress the "down to earth, down to business" culture of the school and wants students who reflect that ideal.
VP
VP
Thanks, kidderek. That's the impression I've gotten myself, and I'm sure I would love it at Stern (if I get in).
Current Student
Send PM
I am going to get back onto this now. I am less pressured (I missed the NYC drinks because I couldn't find the people and frankly needed the rest) but summer is done and the living is easy now.

That said, the $64k question above, I will have to think about and see the new class to get my mind in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
i am in for fall 09..anyone know how strong the media industry link for this school is ? Was very intrigued by the media strenths of this school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I am 50% in...
Need to find out more about consulting.
According to NYU website, consulting is 12-14% of the student body from 2005-2007.
Pretty consistent, but it did not go into details as to which company, and the type of consulting involved.....

Essentially, the consulting placement rate is about the same as Ross, so maybe I will replace Ross with NYU.... still debating though
VP
VP
Apparently the application is live and the essays are out:

Essay 1: Professional Aspirations (750 words, double-spaced)
Think about the decisions you have made in your life. Answer the following:

(a) What choices have you made that led you to your current position?
(b) Why pursue an MBA at this point in your life?
(c) What is your career goal upon graduation from NYU Stern? What is your long-term career goal?

Essay 2: Fit with Stern (500 words, double-spaced)
The NYU Stern collaborative community is one of our strongest assets. We seek individuals who are passionate about our community and committed to growing as leaders at Stern. Please answer the following questions:

(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? What actions have you taken to learn more about us?
(b) What is the most difficult piece of constructive feedback you have received, and what did you do as a result of it? How will this experience make you a better member of the Stern community?

Essay 3: Personal Expression (500 words, double-spaced, if written)
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

If you submit Essay 3 with your supplementary materials, please include a brief description of it here. Please do not submit anything that must be viewed or played electronically (e.g. CDs, DVDs, mp3s, online links), that is perishable (e.g. food), or that has been worn (e.g. used clothing).

Essay 4: Additional Information (optional)
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT and/or TOEFL, or any other relevant information.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Thanks solaris..

Couple of questions for those writing, this.

1. How are you addressing the two parts in Essay 2?

(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? What actions have you taken to learn more about us?
(b) What is the most difficult piece of constructive feedback you have received, and what did you do as a result of it? How will this experience make you a better member of the Stern community?

Both of these ar incredibly DIFFERENT questions..are you tying them together in one essay? Or answering them separately as part a) and b). I am leaning towards answering them separately..but wanted to know what the rest of you all are thinking.

2. How are you addressing potential courses, programs, clubs etc between Essay 1 and Essay 2a? I am leaning towards talking about courses and some potential programs I plan to participate in Essay 1. And I want to talk about the clubs in essay 2 as that information I have recieved by talking to people.. what do you think?
VP
VP
I agree with your approach, I think talking about classes, specific programs and initiatives is probably best done within essay 1. There's not a lot you can do in essay 2 considering two distinct questions are to be answered within a word limit of 500 words.

sterny wrote:
2. How are you addressing potential courses, programs, clubs etc between Essay 1 and Essay 2a? I am leaning towards talking about courses and some potential programs I plan to participate in Essay 1. And I want to talk about the clubs in essay 2 as that information I have recieved by talking to people.. what do you think?

And I *hate* question 2(b)! :evil:
Current Student
Send PM
I think the best way to play the second essay (on the two seconds thought since reading it) would be a way that you feel that the Stern community could help you deal with the feedback you had received. It strikes me as a reconstructed version of a personal development and growth question, with insight into what the school is good at adding to people.

In reality, I would leave that one a little while, and wait till everyone at the school is settled in to support (pre-term, admissions isn't staffed with MBAs yet).

Question 2(b) is pretty tricky (especially with 500 words) - I think it will probably bring some great insight as a result.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19