Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Ill be applying to Corenell this year.. Just wrote my essays , based on last years essays. My only question is I have used the additional essay to mention my EC, and leadership experiences outside work.

Is that fine...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
agreed on top 18. thing is. and thi sis what you have to ask yourself. at what point is it worth it to you to leave b school for what you already have? i have to say, that in a very very very general sense, once you start getting out of those 30 or so schools that might claim top 18, it gets really hard to justify leaving for two years, with no pay to get an mba if you are in a pretty dang good spot.

im not kicking the bucket on b school. but for me there is a point where i say 'enough is enough' and i dont apply to any schools outside a certain set.

people talk bout 'safety schools'. i think 'safety schools' are ok for undergrad. but for grad school, we are paying alot of money for an investment, and if that return on the investment doesnt match what we put in it, or are leaving, then a 'safety school' becomes a bad investment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am definitely interested in a group visit to Ithaca.

I am applying in R1 and want to visit the first half of Sept.

I guess the next step is to figure out a date and when their class visit schedules are published online.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
people talk bout 'safety schools'. i think 'safety schools' are ok for undergrad. but for grad school, we are paying alot of money for an investment, and if that return on the investment doesnt match what we put in it, or are leaving, then a 'safety school' becomes a bad investment.

Agree with you. But I think safety schools may be a good bet for younger candidates , those who have around 2 years of work ex, and for those whom doing an MBA matters more than from where theyve done it.

Theyve obviously not climbed the corporate ladder as much as the experienced lot, and their risks are much lower, compared to someone who has 5-6 years of work ex, and will leave a plush job, to take up a heavy loan and no earnings for the next two years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
i have a 730 gmat. so i dont mind hearing that. but a low gpa.

i just think the competiotin this year for all mba top 15 schools will be incredibly fierce. i mean just ridiculously so.
i have a 730 gmat, and am applying to duke, cornell, harvard, mit, and kellogg. honestly, i could see myself getting rejected at all 5 schools. which sucks. i mean harvard is an automatic rejection more or less. mit/kellogg longshots. cornell and duke i think its reasonable to expect i have a chance. but it just gets so subjective to a point that nothing is guaranteed.

im whining.

sorry.

Haha, don't worry too much, irish. There are plenty of people on this forum who feel the same way you do and there are some pretty qualified candidates roaming around here. Half the time I don't think I can get into Compton Community College.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
agreed on top 18. thing is. and thi sis what you have to ask yourself. at what point is it worth it to you to leave b school for what you already have? i have to say, that in a very very very general sense, once you start getting out of those 30 or so schools that might claim top 18, it gets really hard to justify leaving for two years, with no pay to get an mba if you are in a pretty dang good spot.

im not kicking the bucket on b school. but for me there is a point where i say 'enough is enough' and i dont apply to any schools outside a certain set.

Maybe this will help you out in your decision.

post469782.html#p469782
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
Maybe this will help you out in your decision.

post469782.html#p469782

Wow that is an awesome tool. Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [0]
Send PM
whats the culture of cornell like? is it very cutthroat (as i've heard)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:

That's what you heard?! Wow! Who have you been talking to? I would suggest never taking advice from that person on anything. Cornell actually has a reputation for being the friendliest of the top programs and that's certainly what I saw when I visited. In fact, that rep is so strong that a cornell adcom I talked to actually mentioned that his staff gets irritated that cornell is just known as "the nice MBA program" rather than being known for the success of its students, quality of curriculum, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

That's what you heard?! Wow! Who have you been talking to? I would suggest never taking advice from that person on anything. Cornell actually has a reputation for being the friendliest of the top programs and that's certainly what I saw when I visited. In fact, that rep is so strong that a cornell adcom I talked to actually mentioned that his staff gets irritated that cornell is just known as "the nice MBA program" rather than being known for the success of its students, quality of curriculum, etc.

Agreed. When I visited Cornell, I didn't get a cutthroat feeling at all. It seems like they are all about helping each other and creating a tight-knit community.

Perhaps the cutthroat reputation is more suited to the undergraduate school, which I've heard is extremely competitive.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Agreed. When I visited Cornell, I didn't get a cutthroat feeling at all. It seems like they are all about helping each other and creating a tight-knit community.

Perhaps the cutthroat reputation is more suited to the undergraduate school, which I've heard is extremely competitive.

While I don't know that much about the Johnson school, I know that the undergraduate program is pretty cutthroat, especially in the college of engineering and among the pre-meds.
The other undergraduates at Cornell are not nearly as cutthroat, but I still wouldn't say that their the most friendly bunch of kids - probably just average in terms of friendliness.

The above only applies to the undergraduate program - I can definitely see how the MBA program at Cornell can have an extremely friendly culture with a tight-knit community.
I mean... what else are you going to but bond with your classmates when you're covered in snow in a college town with not much to do, and with no decent sized city within 100 miles :)

Not bashing it at all - I loved my 4 years there & definitely bonded with my classmates/made lifelong friends - & collegetown rocks haha.
Oh and don't forget slopeday - best day of the year - ever.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
jasonc wrote:

Please do explain...
VP
VP
College tradition from what I hear...a day-long version of TNDC. :beer

ryguy904 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Please do explain...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Please do explain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope_Day :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
jasonc wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Please do explain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slope_Day :)

Big drunken party? Sign me up, LOL!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jasonc wrote:

While I don't know that much about the Johnson school, I know that the undergraduate program is pretty cutthroat, especially in the college of engineering and among the pre-meds.
The other undergraduates at Cornell are not nearly as cutthroat, but I still wouldn't say that their the most friendly bunch of kids - probably just average in terms of friendliness.

The above only applies to the undergraduate program - I can definitely see how the MBA program at Cornell can have an extremely friendly culture with a tight-knit community.

This seems to fit in my experience. The students that I talked with during my visit all seemed like they were best friends.
VP
VP
The folks applying Rd 1, is Cornell your top choice? While it's great to get a decision within 8-9 weeks, how do you feel about the deposit deadline most likely being in first week of January again? And didn't the admissions office run into some issues with processing all applications by the official decision dates?

And it sounds like Cornell offers interviews on-campus only? So if one goes to visit the campus before turning in the application, it's possible that one might have to head up there a second time if invited to an interview?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72