Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM Essay Questions [#permalink]
Sam took care of it
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I'm trying to get to the application, but it wont let me. I registered last year but never applied, and now everytime I try to login it says "the 2008 cycle has ended" or something to that affect. Any suggestions?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
I may be in for Round 2, still trying to decide...

I really like the direction I feel Yale is going, as well as the social consciousness aspect of their program. Best of luck to all applying!

~Sam

P.S. Thanks for letting me change the topic title IHateTheGMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I'm planning to apply for round 2. I really like the MBA/MEM dual degree option, or at the very least the option to take classes in the School of Forestry/Environment. My final decision will depend on what I see during my on-campus visit, which should hopefully happen in late October after R1 applications are in!
Current Student
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm trying to get to the application, but it wont let me. I registered last year but never applied, and now everytime I try to login it says "the 2008 cycle has ended" or something to that affect. Any suggestions?

The app is not up yet. Just the questions
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I am here for questions as well...i added the questions to the ambassador forum.

A few observations about the questions:

1. The questions went from 3 to 4. I am not sure why this happened. Maybe they only want applicants who are serious about attending Yale and adding a question will lead to this.

2. Question three was open-ended last year with the applicant writing the question versus having choices. I think this can work for you in that you have a focused list to pick from versus just picking something at random. This will allow you to answer a question you know the adcom wants you to answer.

Originally posted by lanter1 on 21 Jul 2008, 13:55.
Last edited by lanter1 on 21 Jul 2008, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
lanter1,

I've seen you discuss the class size issue and a new building. When is the new building going to be complete? How big will the class size be at that point? What affect do you think this will have on admission criteria? What affect do you think this will have on the overall ranking?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
lanter1,

I've seen you discuss the class size issue and a new building. When is the new building going to be complete? How big will the class size be at that point? What affect do you think this will have on admission criteria? What affect do you think this will have on the overall ranking?

If you apply to be in the class of 2011, you will experience the new building in the second year. Also, if you are applying this fall, the new class size may be 20 more people from what I have heard.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Please let me know if you will be visiting new haven. I can't wait to meet some fellow GMATclubbers.
Current Student
Send PM
Hey Lanter,

I'm glad they're considering increasing the class of 2011 to 200 students and that we would have access to the new building during our second year.

Couple questions on the essay questions. What do you think of the changes to essay 1 and 2 from last year? On essay 2 they narrowed the scope from last year and seem to only be interested in leaderhip experience at work, as opposed to an extracurricular organization. Do you read it the same way? Also, what do you think of this "What is the impact that you wish to have on the world" component to the goals essay?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey Lanter,

I'm glad they're considering increasing the class of 2011 to 200 students and that we would have access to the new building during our second year.

Couple questions on the essay questions. What do you think of the changes to essay 1 and 2 from last year? On essay 2 they narrowed the scope from last year and seem to only be interested in leaderhip experience at work, as opposed to an extracurricular organization. Do you read it the same way? Also, what do you think of this "What is the impact that you wish to have on the world" component to the goals essay?

I think to understand the "impact that you wish to have on the world" you first have to realize what SOM is about. The school is about business and society. They want you to be able to make business decisions that not only help the "bottom line" but that are also good for society as a whole (maybe we could have avoided the mortgage crisis if this is how everyone thought).

As far as question two, I am not sure. Maybe too many apps last year focused on outside of work for the majority of leadership experience and they are narrowing the focus. Or they may have two many people applying that are only leaders outside of work and they want leaders within a working environment. Personally, I feel it is much more impressive to be a leader at work than in volunteering (although volunteering is very important) setting. Most volunteers I know from business and/or professional settings are leaders anyway and that is why they take the time to help others.

Overall, i like these questions better because they are very specific and have narrowed the scope. You can get a real sense of the type of candidate a school wants by the wording of the questions. Use this to your advantage.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but these essay questions seem quite a bit more specific and thought intensive than they were last year. The essays last year were essentially why an MBA and why Yale or something along those lines weren't they?

Yes, they are much more specific than last year.
Current Student
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:

Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[/quote]Check out the second post, I posted last years essays and made some comments on how they're different. I also made some comments on the post right above yours. You're right, they are definitely more specific and tougher than last year.[/quote]

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.
Current Student
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:

I don't think they are tougher as far as the questions themselves. i guess it's personal preference but I think having a question guide you is much easier than being given a blank canvas. Granted, there is one extra question. Also, i do see where you are coming from.

Let me know how i can help you guys/glas answer these questions.

Yeah, I think for me the main thing that makes it tougher is the way they changed the leadership question. Outside of work, I led a 15 person team that put on this big event for over 200 people. I planned to use it for all my leadership essays. If the question was the same as last year I'd be able to use this experience for Yale and Tuck. Now, Yale has made the question about work only and blown this option out of the water. Essay 1 is also tougher because last year it was just short-term, long-term, why Yale, which I have clear answers for. Now they have added in a unique element about the impact I want to have on the world which is not something I've put any thought into.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
lanter1 wrote:
Please let me know if you will be visiting new haven. I can't wait to meet some fellow GMATclubbers.

When does Yale start scheduling on campus visits? I'll be visiting this fall!

RF
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22