Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [590]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [230]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [26]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [24]
Send PM
Re: The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
chan4312 wrote:
The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.

(A) in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable
(B) in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable
(C) like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable
(D) like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully
(E) such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

Pls give explanation.

HOPEFULLY is always wrong in GMAT
reject A,C,D
we are left with B and E ,here E is wrong such as EM wavs do is wrong .such as idiom is followed by examples hence do will be hanging the without any referrent.
B is the best choice among the lot
IMO B
OA pls !! :) :?:
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Curly05 wrote:
The use of gravity waves, which do not interact with matter in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.

(A) in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable

(B) in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

(C) like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable

(D) like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully

(E) such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this crucial part of this sentence is that it is hoped that the use of gravity waves will enable astronomers to study the actual formation of black holes and neutron stars.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparison + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison must always be made between similar things.
• “like” is used for comparing nouns, “as” is used for comparing actions/clauses, and “such as” is used for giving examples.
• "hopefully" means "full of hope" and not "it is hoped"; for this subtlety, please be very careful when you see "hopefully" in an answer choice; it is generally incorrect.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "hopefully will enable"; the use of the adverb "hopefully" to modify "will enable" illogically implies that the use of gravity waves will carry out the action of enabling astronomers in a hopeful manner; the intended meaning is that it is hoped that the use of gravity waves will enable astronomers; remember, "hopefully" means "full of hope" and not "it is hoped". Besides, the placement of “hopefully” is such that it doesn’t directly modify the verb “enable”; “will hopefully enable” would have made Choice A more competitive. On a side note, the term “hopefully” is generally incorrect on GMAT as it often suffers from such imperfect adverbial usage issues.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the clause "it is hoped" to modify the verb "enabled", conveying the intended meaning - that it is hoped that the use of gravity waves will enable astronomers. Further, Option E correctly compares the clauses "interact with matter" and "electromagnetic waves do". Additionally, Option B avoids the idiomatic error seen in Option B, as it uses the phrase "in the way" rather than "like" to draw a comparison. Besides, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "hopefully will enable"; the use of the adverb "hopefully" to modify "will enable" illogically implies that the use of gravity waves will carry out the action of enabling astronomers in a hopeful manner; the intended meaning is that it is hoped that the use of gravity waves will enable astronomers; remember, "hopefully" means "full of hope" and not "it is hoped". Further, Option C incorrectly compares the clause "interact with matter" to the noun phrase "electromagnetic waves"; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Besides, the placement of “hopefully” is such that it doesn’t directly modify the verb “enable”; “will hopefully enable” would have made Choice C more competitive. On a side note, the term “hopefully” is generally incorrect on GMAT as it often suffers from such imperfect adverbial usage issues.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "would enable, hopefully"; the use of the adverb "hopefully" to modify "will enable" illogically implies that the use of gravity waves will carry out the action of enabling astronomers in a hopeful manner; the intended meaning is that it is hoped that the use of gravity waves will enable astronomers; remember, "hopefully" means "full of hope" and not "it is hoped". Further, Option D incorrectly compares the clause "interact with matter" to the noun phrase "electromagnetic waves"; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Additionally, Option D redundantly uses the verb "would" alongside the adverb "hopefully"; remember, “will” is preferred for referring to events that are certain to happen, and “would” is preferred for referring to events that are hypothetical, meaning the use of “would” alongside words that express uncertainty is redundant.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the phrase “such as” rather than “as” to compare the clauses “interact with matter” and “electromagnetic waves do”; remember, “like” is used for comparing nouns, “as” is used for comparing actions/clauses, and “such as” is used for giving examples.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Like" vs "As", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19726 [3]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Curly05 wrote:

A. in the way electromagnetic waves do, hopefully will enable

B. in the way electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

C. like electromagnetic waves, hopefully will enable

D. like electromagnetic waves, would enable, hopefully

E. such as electromagnetic waves do, will, it is hoped, enable

SC21561.01

I always don't understand this point of grammar. Gravity waves do not interact with matter like electromagnetic waves. Clarify on what this means, I think it means it does not interact with matter that is like electromagnetic waves.

Gravity waves do not interact with matter like electromagnetic waves do interact with matter.

Do you cut out the "interact with matter" part to make it more readable. Is that what people do who speak English?

You have to understand stuffed bears are foreigners like someone from Russia or India. :lol: :lol:

Official Explanation

Rhetorical Construction; Diction

While the use of hopefully, as used in the sentence as written, to mean I hope that or let's hope that, is well established, this use is considered to be informal. For this reason, it is generally avoided in writing.

When it is used in this way in writing, however, it must be used at the beginning of a sentence or at the beginning of an independent clause, and be set off by the use of commas. In any case, the use of hopefully in this sentence is incorrect: in a technical sense, it implies that the enabling of the astronomers will be hopeful.

A. The use of hopefully here is incorrect, for the reasons given above.

B. Correct. The use of it is hoped (as opposed to hopefully) here properly conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Furthermore, the use of in the way appropriately conveys, unlike the answer choices using like or such as, that what is being compared is the interaction, or lack thereof, of gravity waves, on one hand, and electromagnetic waves, on the other, with matter.

C. The use of like incorrectly implies that electromagnetic waves are a type of matter. Furthermore, the use of hopefully is incorrect, for the reasons given above.

D. The use of like incorrectly implies that electromagnetic waves are a type of matter. Furthermore, the use of hopefully is incorrect, for the reasons given above.

E. The use of such as is inappropriate here: first, such as must be followed by a noun, or list of nouns, rather than a noun followed by a verb, as in electromagnetic waves do; second, the use of like incorrectly implies that electromagnetic waves are a type of matter.

The correct answer is B.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [17]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(B) is right. Technically, the word "hopefully" is an adverb form of the word "hopeful," which is used to describe one's state of mind about a particular thing.

For example:

JP is hopeful that he will get a good score on the GMAT.
JP thought hopefully about his future GMAT score.

But:

JP will, it is hoped, receive a high score on the GMAT.

or:

It is hoped that JP will receive a high score on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thats right! Hopefully is almost never correct as per GMAT standards. The answer option B looks the best, as option E has a wrong such as usage.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
dushver wrote:
Thats right! Hopefully is almost never correct as per GMAT standards. The answer option B looks the best, as option E has a wrong such as usage.

Why hopefully is wrong in GMAT??? any reason..

hopefully is adverb modifies enable... looks perfect.

On second look, C and D are out because improper comparision.

which do not interact wiht matter like EM waves
= G waves .. interact wiht matter like EM waves.
(comparing "G waves interact" with "EM waves") --> C and D are out

Between A and B.
I am not conviced why hopefully is wrong..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [5]
Send PM
Kudos