Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [4]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [17]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Switching into PE/VC? [#permalink]
Rhyme,

You never cease to amaze me. As a programmer too, I think this is one of the most creative posts I've ever seen!

Allen
rhyme wrote:
PE/VC recruiting is basically this:

If "You were in PE/VC before an MBA"=TRUE {
solid=like a rock;
else
solid=like water;
}

If solid=like a rock {
Then
You have a Network = TRUE;
Else {
You have a Network = FALSE;
}

If You have a Network = TRUE {
Then
PE/VC Job Probability Function = .0009;
Else
PE/VC Job Probability Function = 1x10^-42;
}

Recruiting_Begins();

If solid=YOU SUCK {
while (calls<10,000) {
Network_Like_Mad(Every Day, All The Time);
Foreach(Call(EveryoneInTheWorld())="ACTUAL CONVERSATION")) { calls++; }
}
Pray->God(); // Warning call to null pointer? There is no god?
Backup_Job_Plan->Trash(NOW());
Watch_Everyone_Else_GET(IB);
Watch_Everyone_Else_GET(MC);
Watch_Everyone_Else_GET(GM);
if (male = true) {
Make_Of_Steel(Balls);
else {
Dig_In(Heels);
}
Job_Offer=PE/VC Job Probability Function*calls
}

In short, landing a PE/VC gig is 98% who you know. It's ALL networking.

The biggest issue frankly is that you have to be 120% commited. PE/VC recruit in spring - after IB, after MC, after GM, marketing, hedge funds, commercial finance, leadership programs, after basically everything. To do PE you have to roll the dice - and roll with a big bet. Its not for the risk averse.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Rhyme,

Another classic, thanks for conveying the message in a creative medium...

So... how many calls did you make to land your gig? :wink:

~Sam
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Remember there is always dumb luck for a few people in any job search. However, I would say PE/VC/HF jobs arent the type people typically fall into...maybe a few at H/S do but at the other schools probably not so much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
That was a funny post, Rhyme, I wonder if it was funnier if you have a background in programming languages.

I think there needs to be a distinction made between PE and VC. While in actuality VC is a subset of PE, the term PE nowadays almost always refers to LBO PE firms. PE hiring is becoming a little more institutionalized than VC ever will be, but it still is quite unlike IB/MC or other traditional career paths.

For VC I think the “network” angle is as important as rhyme says it is, I really don’t know. However, for LBO PE it’s a combination of that plus your previous experience and pedigree that will get you interviews, usually via recruiters. To get jobs in LBO PE you are competing with those who have pre-MBA work experience doing (in order of general competitiveness, according to me):

1) BB IB / Top MC + Mid-Large Cap PE
2) Mid-Large Cap PE
3) BB IB / Top MC
4) Small no name PE / MM IB
5) Small no name IB / Non-Top MC / Big 4 Transaction or Due Diligence
6) Industry / Corp Development / Big 4 Other
7) All other career switchers

Keep in mind that almost all of these people will also have good academic pedigree including: a respected undergrad (high GPA), test scores (SAT + GMAT), and a top MBA. It is possible that pedigree, e.g. HBS MBA, could help you jump a level relative to the above ordering, but the problem is that pedigree is already there in almost all of those groups. The good news is that the smaller and less established the PE firm, the less this ordering applies (not because they would rather take someone from #6 and #7 over #1 and #2, but because there aren’t so many of #1 and #2 to go around.)

While there might seem to be a good amount of PE shops, they are staffed very lean and definitely don’t want to train their junior professionals. In my limited experience, I’ve heard a lot of guys that are in #5 or below and not going to a H/S/W say that they want to do PE and I have to refrain from telling them that they are pretty unlikely to get a job in PE, because I don’t want to be “that guy”. But the reality is that it’s very, very tough. However, networking can be the great equalizer. I would encourage all those from #5 and below to give considerable thought to doing IB first before putting their eggs in the PE basket.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Great post rhyme.

Hahaha.. how do you begin to come up with this stuff?

rhyme wrote:

solid=like a rock;
else
solid=like water;
}

If solid=like a rock {
Then
Else {
}

Then
Else
}

Recruiting_Begins();

If solid=YOU SUCK {
while (calls<10,000) {
}
if (male = true) {
Make_Of_Steel(Balls);
else {
Dig_In(Heels);
}
}

The biggest issue frankly is that you have to be 120% commited. PE/VC recruit in spring - after IB, after MC, after GM, marketing, hedge funds, commercial finance, leadership programs, after basically everything. To do PE you have to roll the dice - and roll with a big bet. Its not for the risk averse.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
Haha rhyme - that's great! :lol:

This brought to mind some other threads (think they were rhyme's) about the sequence of recruiting and how it works - waiting for PE/VC until the very end of the year must be ridiculously tough unless you're fairly certain that you'll land a position!

rhyme wrote:

solid=like a rock;
else
solid=like water;
}

If solid=like a rock {
Then
Else {
}

Then
Else
}

Recruiting_Begins();

If solid=YOU SUCK {
while (calls<10,000) {
}
if (male = true) {
Make_Of_Steel(Balls);
else {
Dig_In(Heels);
}
}

Current Student
Send PM
wow thanks cougar! The hierarchy is esp helpful - I didn't realize that there was even a perceived difference btwn previous experience in IB/PE and the firms themselves. It's also interesting to hear that those without previous PE or IB experience are at such a disadvantage when trying to break in. Is the reasoning (from the company perspective) really that they don't want to train newbies? Is the training that complex or costly?

It's also good to note that doing IB opens so many doors - it can really be a stepping stone for many careers!

cougarblue wrote:
That was a funny post, Rhyme, I wonder if it was funnier if you have a background in programming languages.

I think there needs to be a distinction made between PE and VC. While in actuality VC is a subset of PE, the term PE nowadays almost always refers to LBO PE firms. PE hiring is becoming a little more institutionalized than VC ever will be, but it still is quite unlike IB/MC or other traditional career paths.

For VC I think the “network” angle is as important as rhyme says it is, I really don’t know. However, for LBO PE it’s a combination of that plus your previous experience and pedigree that will get you interviews, usually via recruiters. To get jobs in LBO PE you are competing with those who have pre-MBA work experience doing (in order of general competitiveness, according to me):

1) BB IB / Top MC + Mid-Large Cap PE
2) Mid-Large Cap PE
3) BB IB / Top MC
4) Small no name PE / MM IB
5) Small no name IB / Non-Top MC / Big 4 Transaction or Due Diligence
6) Industry / Corp Development / Big 4 Other
7) All other career switchers

Keep in mind that almost all of these people will also have good academic pedigree including: a respected undergrad (high GPA), test scores (SAT + GMAT), and a top MBA. It is possible that pedigree, e.g. HBS MBA, could help you jump a level relative to the above ordering, but the problem is that pedigree is already there in almost all of those groups. The good news is that the smaller and less established the PE firm, the less this ordering applies (not because they would rather take someone from #6 and #7 over #1 and #2, but because there aren’t so many of #1 and #2 to go around.)

While there might seem to be a good amount of PE shops, they are staffed very lean and definitely don’t want to train their junior professionals. In my limited experience, I’ve heard a lot of guys that are in #5 or below and not going to a H/S/W say that they want to do PE and I have to refrain from telling them that they are pretty unlikely to get a job in PE, because I don’t want to be “that guy”. But the reality is that it’s very, very tough. However, networking can be the great equalizer. I would encourage all those from #5 and below to give considerable thought to doing IB first before putting their eggs in the PE basket.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
wow thanks cougar! The hierarchy is esp helpful - I didn't realize that there was even a perceived difference btwn previous experience in IB/PE and the firms themselves. It's also interesting to hear that those without previous PE or IB experience are at such a disadvantage when trying to break in. Is the reasoning (from the company perspective) really that they don't want to train newbies? Is the training that complex or costly?

It's also good to note that doing IB opens so many doors - it can really be a stepping stone for many careers!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but my guess would be that their philosophy is "why train people if we don't have to?" Most of the large PE firms only hire a handful of new people every year, and smaller/medium size PE firms may only hire 1-2 people the whole year. With all of the people at the top of the "heirarchy" interested in PE, they can cherry pick whoever they please. Supply exceeds demand - and by a lot.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I don't quite understand the appeal of PE/VC (well, I don't know much about them period), can someone explain?

Why is the demand so high?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
jasonc wrote:
I don't quite understand the appeal of PE/VC (well, I don't know much about them period), can someone explain?

Interesting, fulfilling, and challenging work (for most) coupled with outsized compensation.
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Interesting, fulfilling, and challenging work (for most) coupled with outsized compensation.

Yup what terp said :)
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

challenging & outsized compensaton I can see

interesting & fulfilling... can you be more specific? :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [17]
Send PM
Kudos
jasonc wrote:
terp06 wrote:
jasonc wrote:

challenging & outsized compensaton I can see

interesting & fulfilling... can you be more specific? :)

The way I see it, being in venture capital or a growth-oriented private equity firm is like being a risk-free entrepeneur who runs 5 companies rather than 1. VC/PE firms will invest in an early to mid-stage company, and they will then take a seat or 2 or 3 on the board of directors of the company and they will advise the management team on best practices, growth, M&A, etc. They will leverage their firms contacts to help entrepeneurial companies build a more corporate-type infrastructure, get appropriate lawyers, get good management practices in place, etc. Their function can actually be described as somewhat similar to management consultants - except that they have their skin in the game and a (generally large) stake in the company.

Larger PE firms that do leveraged buyouts are generally focused on buying larger, established companies where they see an opportunity for either financial engineering or fundamental changes that would significantly increase the value of the company. People with top investment banking backgrounds generally thrive at these firms.

Junior-level people at these firms generally get paid attractive salaries and have a lot of exposure to entrepeneurial companies and ventures. They can leverage this experience to start their own entrepeneurial PE/VC backed venture in the future, or to work their way up to partner at the firm.

Partners at these firms generally get paid carried interest on the investments. Let's say that a PE firm raises a $1 billion fund. The typical fee structure is 2/20. Meaning that 2% of the $1 billion ($20 million) is a management fee that is generally used to pay base salaries and bonuses, office/support costs, etc. and 20% is the portion of the returns that the partners will split up between themselves. Assuming that they return 25% to their investors ($250 million), they would get to keep 20% of this (or $50 million) and divide this up between the partnership (at a fund of this size, most likely 4-5 partners). This is taxed at the capital gains rate (15%) rather then normal income tax rates (which is the cause of a lot of uproar on Capitol Hill currently, and I believe the capital gains rate is changing to 20%).

Not sure if that all made sense. I'm tired. I think a few others on this board have more knowledge about this than I do and they can and should feel free to chime in with their opinions.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
that helped alot +1 :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media &amp; Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
good stuff terp06, you are wise beyond your years. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted &amp; ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
thanks for the succinct exlpanation - terp06
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Good explanation Terp.. thanks for the help!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5