Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
VP
VP
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
You're right - the application does make it sound like office test scores must also be sent. Somebody on the B-week forums posted the same questions we raised in this thread for Christina in the Ask Columbia Admissions thread. Let's see if someone will respond to them there.

Usually you only have to send it if you are admittd. Call and ask, or wait for the answer on b-week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I would suggest sticking to limits that they ask for. According to a post on thebusiness week forums from a member of the adcom, it seems that it is 3 activities , your position, dates, and anything pertinent,but no lengthy descriptions. And yes, it was specified that it would be 3 EC's in 400 characters. I would say it leaves room for a sentence description for each activity.
VP
VP
Alright guys, confirmed on Businessweek - as terp said, 400 characters total for 3 EC's, not per EC. Official GMAT scores required only if an offer of admission is made.
Current Student
Send PM
Wow that's horrible. I guess Columbia doesn't care about ECs. I was really counting on using my app to talk about some ECs since they don't fit cleanly into any of my essays (except for a brief mention in number 1). I need to think about how to handle this. I have certain ECs that I'm not ok with having 0 mention of in my entire app. For every other school you at least have room in the app form and/or resume to briefly discuss ECs that don't fit into your essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
400 charactors with or without space? I assume without.
Current Student
Send PM
happybunny wrote:
400 charactors with or without space? I assume without.

I was just wondering the same thing. When you say without - do you mean that you're assuming they don't count your spaces towards the 400 character limit?

I just went through and chopped down my activities descriptions. Its under 400 characters if you don't include the spaces. Over 400 if you do.
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah. I assume they are not counting the space.

How many people are planning to submit on 13th?

I was thinking to submit on 13th. But, just realize that one of my recommendater hasn't even start yet :( Given how long the recommendation form is for Columbia, I say a month at least. Maybe Aug. 20th now....
VP
VP
How did you get the recommendation form for this year's application? Is it the same as last year's? Is the form available on the website?

Thanks.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I think I read somewhere in an admissions book that getting your app in the first day or few days is probably not a good thing since you will be competing with all the applicants with all stellar apps that want to be the first person to submit and you may get lost in the shuffle. J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
happybunny wrote:

I was thinking to submit on 13th. But, just realize that one of my recommendater hasn't even start yet :( Given how long the recommendation form is for Columbia, I say a month at least. Maybe Aug. 20th now....

I think it includes spaces.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
How did you get the recommendation form for this year's application? Is it the same as last year's? Is the form available on the website?

Thanks.

It's online https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/learnmore/applynow

If either you or your recommender would like to view the online recommendation questions, they are listed below. (Please note the below questions are those in the September 2009 ED and RD applications. These are only slightly revised from the January 2009 application recommendation questions.)

1. What is your relationship to, and how long have you known the applicant? Is this person still employed by your organization? If not, when did he/she depart?

2. Please provide a short list of adjectives describing the applicant’s strengths, and please compare the applicant’s performance to that of his or her peers.

3. Please comment on the applicant’s growth during his/her employment with you and on his or her ability to work with others, including superiors, peers, and subordinates.

4. In what ways could the applicant improve professionally? How does he/she accept constructive criticism?

5. Comment on your observations of the applicant’s ethical behavior.

6. What do you think motivates the candidate’s application to the MBA program at Columbia Business School?

7. If you could change one thing about the applicant, what would it be?

8. Are there any other matters which you feel we should know about the applicant?
Current Student
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
I think I read somewhere in an admissions book that getting your app in the first day or few days is probably not a good thing since you will be competing with all the applicants with all stellar apps that want to be the first person to submit and you may get lost in the shuffle. J

Hmmm... You think they pick out certain # of people in one day of submission?
Current Student
Send PM
sarzan wrote:
happybunny wrote:

So you think spaces count towards the 400 character limit? What is the consensus on this? I'm over 400 if you count the spaces and under 400 if you don't

I was looking at other apps and Columbia seems to give you the least amount of space to talk about activities of any app. They don't even let you submit a resume where you can talk briefly about your activities.
Current Student
Send PM
How are people doing on the essays? My essay 1 is still at 900 words or so and I can't find a single additional word I'm willing to cut. I think I've grown to attached :( . Getting down to 750 is going to be really tough. I might cheat a bit and use 800.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
sarzan wrote:
happybunny wrote:

So you think spaces count towards the 400 character limit? What is the consensus on this? I'm over 400 if you count the spaces and under 400 if you don't

I was looking at other apps and Columbia seems to give you the least amount of space to talk about activities of any app. They don't even let you submit a resume where you can talk briefly about your activities.

Well, I know that when company web sites set up web based email pages so their customers email them, these text boxes usually have character limits, which includes the spaces between the words. So I am just assuming that its become common knowledge that spaces are counted. To guesstimate the number of words, I usually assume that an average word is 5 characters, plus 1 space. So 400 / (5+1) = 67 words. So if you've been involved with 4 activities, thats about 15 words per activity. Tight.
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
well its 3 activity limit for college and 3 for post college so not too bad
Manager
Manager
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
well its 3 activity limit for college and 3 for post college so not too bad

So basically, assuming I'm going to list 6 activities, thats about 12 words per activity, which probably breaks down to activity name, role, dates, and locations. not much left for anything more than that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  59