Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [47]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different [#permalink]
marshpa wrote:
Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different strains of influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza.
influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
influenza, different than the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
influenza, in contrast to the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
influenza, different than antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
influenza; in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

Please post answers with reason.

B, C .. it not clear.. what is "known as antigenic drift".

single strain ---> antigenic drif
mutation of single straint --> antigenc drift
differnt than the naturla mutation of a single strain ---> antigenic drif...

E .. after semicolon.. it should be idependent clause ( Subject and Verb)
E lacks ver..
in contrast to antigenic drift ( sentence ends) -> not a complete clause..
"which refers..... " non essential clause

Between A and D.
A looks better..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Does the second clause qualify to stand on its own? If I read it again, A doesn't sound right. Damn! I am all confused now. I hate GMAT..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
bigfernhead wrote:
Why is "different than" incorrect?

GMAT TIGER wrote:
marshpa wrote:
Antigenic shift refers to the combination of two different strains of influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza.
influenza; in contrast, antigenic drift refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
influenza, different than the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
influenza, in contrast to the natural mutation of a single strain, known as antigenic drift
influenza, different than antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza
influenza; in contrast to antigenic drift, which refers to the natural mutation of a single strain of influenza

A. two independent clauses.

different than is wrong.

Different from is more idiomatic.

§ 98. different from / different than
The phrases different from and different than are both common in British and American English. The British also use the construction different to. Since the 18th century, language critics have singled out different than as incorrect, though it is well attested in the works of reputable writers. If you want to follow traditional guidelines, use from when the comparison is between two persons or things: My book is different from (not than) yours. Different than is more acceptably used, particularly in American usage, where the object of comparison is expressed by a full clause: The campus is different than it was twenty years ago. You can use different from with a clause if the clause starts with a conjunction and so functions as a noun: The campus is different from how it was twenty years ago. 1
Sometimes people interpret a simple noun phrase following different than as elliptical for a clause, which allows for a subtle distinction in meaning between the two constructions. How different this seems from Paris suggests that the object of comparison is the city of Paris itself, whereas How different this seems than Paris suggests that the object of comparison is something like “the way things were in Paris” or “what happened in Paris.”

https://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/098.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Well the OA is A. But I would like to know whats wrong in D, cause I selected D on the test.
I thought D is also independent. Please provide your expert opinions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
== CORRECT

== WRONG; should be “different from” instead of “different than”

== WRONG; first and second sentences are not parallel

== WRONG; should be “different from” instead of “different than”

== WRONG; if you remove the non-restrictive clause, you can see the sentence structure is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 835 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
marshpa wrote:

B, C .. it not clear.. what is "known as antigenic drift".

single strain ---> antigenic drif
mutation of single straint --> antigenc drift
differnt than the naturla mutation of a single strain ---> antigenic drif...

E .. after semicolon.. it should be idependent clause ( Subject and Verb)
E lacks ver..
in contrast to antigenic drift ( sentence ends) -> not a complete clause..
"which refers..... " non essential clause

Between A and D.
A looks better..

Please advise if "in contrast" correct idiom, I read " in contrast to/with X.Y" is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I thought "in contrast to" is the right idiom and chose E but then as already stated in this thread, the use of which spoils the option E. So many contradicting rules.. Or am I missing something here...

But is "in contrast" correct???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
+1 for A
Independent clauses + Idiom( Differ from )
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Is contrast to qrong idiom
Writing simply contarast is right or wrong
I think the construction in A is X contrast Y refers to

to is for refers and it requires either a which or comma after Y
pls help confused
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos

This is a parallelism question. A puts the sentence in correct ||ism. Question stem : ABC refers to....;in contract XYZ refers to.....
Director
Director
Send PM
I think E doesnt voilates any IIism

X in contrast to Y

Moreover A lacks the to with Contrast
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM

A has clear ||ism. In E the intended meaning is changing. More ever the idiom you are referring to doesn't have any punctuation in between.
Director
Director
Send PM
YOu mean to say the correct construction of idiom is X,in contrast to,Y
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks for your advise and your explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Technology
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello

The reason I did not select A in this answer is that the semicolon seemed unnecessary. Unnecessary why?

My rationale:
Gmat rule: semicolon should create two independent clauses.

In this sentence I see "; in contrast,"

So my brain says "Well, in contract to what?" which leads me to believe that these are not independent due to the dependence implicit in a comparison (to what).

Could someone please lend a hand in correcting my brain on why I am wrong and allow me to catch this in the future.

Thank you
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos